Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Sculptedpaddle" Timeline B  (Read 1244 times)

Gorgulak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Sculptedpaddle" Timeline B
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:00:53 am »

Main Thread
Timeline A

This thread is for the succession game Multiple Timeline Succession "Sculptedpaddle"

Rules/Important Information:

•   This thread will be exclusively for updates and discussion about this timeline. 
•   If there is any interest more games can be split but we should try and keep it confined somewhat.
•   The ruler has one year in-game and/or ~4 days irl.  When we split the game, I will set a date for when the next people will be able to begin playing their turn so that the years don't get too out of sync. 
•   Save game files go to dffd
•   There will be a population cap of 100
•   Post regular updates about what has happened in the fort with screen caps where appropriate.
•   Not acknowledging your turn in three days, it moves onto the next person.

Succession List:
ib. escondida itg
iib. Snackfox
iiib.
ivb.
vb.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:31:05 am by Gorgulak »

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Sculptedpaddle" Timeline B
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 05:27:42 pm »

Reserving this post for timeline b-specific info stuff.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 03:36:56 pm »

Sorry, folks; it seems I have a succession-game related curse or something; every time my turn comes up in one, I suddenly get too busy to play or other assorted unluckiness. My apologies for this being so last-minute, but it looks like I have to bow out. itg, it would appear you're up.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 12:33:36 am »

Got it. I'll post an update later tonight.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 03:48:00 am »

Sorry about the delay. Here's the first part:

1st Granite--It's hard to believe it has only been three years since seven of us set out into the wilderness to strike the earth and found the outpost of Sculptedpaddle. Since then, we have grown to become a thriving community, the equal of any in The Holy Labor. But today, my term as Overseer begins, and I hope to make us more than equal.

Our previous overseers have done well in keeping us well-fed and drunk. it looks like I can let the food supply take care of itself with minimal supervision.

The first step is to put this lazy fortress to work. In my first survey as overseer, I counted over 50 dwarves who couldn't even pretend to be busy. Most were lounging about in the dining hall, not even getting themselves drunk, like respectable dwarves. Meanwhile, I can take a step anywhere in the fortress without stubbing my toe on a three-foot boulder. Now, anyone who doesn't have anything better to do is going to be clearing rocks.

I checked in with the militia commander, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that he's been running a very effective training regime. I was appalled to see the state of our troops' equipment, though; our soldiers have no armor to speak of and are apparently just praying not to get hit. We'll have to do something about that.

Our fortress is spacious and pleasant enough, but it's much too spread out. I for one, hate spending half the day walking from my bedroom to the dining hall. It's time to move beyond this rustic architecture and go vertical. I've ordered a large central staircase to be dug, which will cut down walking times to the deep fort, and I will order new workshops and bedrooms centered around the stairwell.

As overseer, I'll need a living space commensurate with my status, so I'll be drawing up plans for a deluxe bedroom suite. As is traditional, I've given myself a secondary title, which I will hold even after my term as overseer ends. As a lifelong connoisseur of hammers, I made myself the hammerer.

Oh, and we need to build something to set us apart from the other fortresses, to make us an example for dwarves everywhere. To make us a shining golden beacon of dwarven civilization, if you will. A shining golden beacon. Now there's a thought...

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:28:37 pm »

12th Granite--It's a bit of a struggle to get anything done around here. I was surprised to realize we only have two (!) picks between the 150 or so of us. I ordered up some more picks, but no one was willing to do it, so I finally had to go forge them myself. They're not much to look at, but they're break stone well enough.

21st Granite--It looks like one of our previous overseers has designed an elaborate contraption for filling minecarts with magma, presumably to bring it up to the surface. I commend his efforts, and I will do my best to finish what he started. Meanwhile, all our metal and ore is stored near the surface, but our forges are 150 floors down, so it's hell trying to make anything.

7th Slate--Most of our clothes are starting so look a little threadbare, so I ordered up some clothing. I've decided vests are in this year.

10th Felsite-- The Elven caravan has arrived. I've decided that this year we're going to pretend they don't exist, just to mess with them a bit. They don't have anything worth buying, anyway.

12th Felsite--Tosid Thobbardum, the cook, has taken some stone and barricaded himself in one of our craftsdwarf's workshops. Who knows what he's doing in there, but I've got too much on my plate to try to force him out.

16th Felsite--What do you know. Tosid emerged from the workshop just a few days later, looking quite pleased with himself and holding an iron crown:

How he made an iron crown out of stone is beyond me, but I must admit, I'm impressed. It has a certain beautiful simplicity, with none of the spikes of donkey bone and hanging rings of cat leather which are typical of dwarven art.

24th Felsite--

I'd feel bad, but more likely than not the baby's mother knew what she was doing. If a mother doesn't want her child, it's hard finding a dwarf willing to adopt him. The goblins may be unpleasant folk, but if they're willing to work this hard to get children, they must take good care of them.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 01:21:36 am »

Sorry about the delay again. I've been travelling. Anyway...

10th Hematite-- Work continues. The speed of mining is slowly picking up as I forge more picks and our inexperienced miners slowly learn their new trade. We're constructing a tower on top of the new central staircase. The bulk of the tower is microcline, but the top floor will be solid gold. I've ordered our limited supply of gold ore to be smelted, but we'll need to go digging for more, soon.

24th Hematite--Gold ore is scarcer than I would have liked, but our miners have discovered a few small deposits. We'll probably have to stretch our gold supply by adding decorative tiles of other materials.

2nd Malachite--My predecessor's magma transport system, as clever as it seemed to be, has stopped working, and I cannot figure out why. Rather than waste time troubleshooting, I have decided to build my own simple system from scratch, much closer to the new central staircase. It will save us time in the long run, if only the miners will get to work on it.

13th Malachite--It turns out some joker has been telling people behind my back to dump their stones outside by the above-ground farms, instead of next to the mason's shop. That'll be another month's worth of hauling.

5th Galena--

Another child ran away to join the goblin horde. Again, the mother is suspiciously cheerful about the whole thing.

12th Galena--The human caravan has arrived. We traded some totems, crafts, and old clothing for metal bars, wood, leather, and cloth.

28th Galena--Another peaceful season gone by. Work progresses slowly in Sculptedpaddle, but it does progress.

Gorgulak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:35 am »

Cool idea.  Are you planning on finishing up soon?