Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [DF2014] Tadinramul, a tale of caves, cunning and... miner kings?!  (Read 1326 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, now that I think about it, I don't really know what I'm doing, but it seemed a good idea at the time. For dwarfkind and the mountainhome.

Datan has dragged me along on this fool's quest, though he gave guarantees that the journey would be safe, and so would the fort. Still, I'm going into unknown territory. My mountain kin whisper terrible things behind my back, that I'll "break the world", that my leaving will bring untold consequences, for good or ill, to the world. I scoff internally at them: why would they think such a thing?

Before I tell you much about myself, I have to tell you about Datan. He's the kind of dwarf someone like me can look up to. He's a strong magician, having battled or stopped countless goblin invasion in their ever expansion to the east and towards the mountains. He knows how to make us immune to temperature and the fallings of the sky, how to make us not crave food or drink. He's not a supernatural evil being, not a vampire or necromancer or were-thing, his daily job is actually an axedwarf. Watching him, it seems silly to believe he wields so much power, yet he does and I do not doubt him.

He has told me stories of the deep since I was a dwarfling, of great cavernous expanses to those brave enough to see them, of great magma sees, of adamantine and greater beauties and horror below. Recently, he has had visions of slade (with a D!!!) towers, but we go not to them now. We go exploring. He has especially told me about the deep dwarves, the illusive kind that I am just aching to find. And this is what led me here.

After so many stories, I finally petitioned to the mountainhome for an expedition. Why not go adventuring myself, you ask? Because I'm not that suicidal, not yet at least. With an expedition, I have supplies and animals more in abundance given to me by the home, for our fortunes rise and fall together. Alone in the wilds, I fear not even Datan would follow.

They have sent me far from the home, citing that if I attract unduly attention, it would be on my head and on those foolish enough to accompany me. Datan was first to volunteer, of course, and five more followed.

Since hunting dogs, war dogs and even regular dogs are needed where they are, I have taken 40 stray puppies with me to act as a future army. I have confidence that one of my new companions would be more than eager to teach them the art of war once they grow up. I have also taken as many picks, anvils and steel bars (apparently they didn't have any iron at hand) as I can: better be prepared as much as I can.
So here we are, far from the mountainhome, with mainly the assurances of Datan.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Granite 14: I've already drawn a plan for the first levels and how I want to go about it. It isn't perfect, but I hope it's effective.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've set myself up with a cushy job as a mechanic. Mechanics are safe, I'm told, at least those that only work in their workshops. I should find a reason to do just that and only that and not be the one sent out to construct and load cage traps. Yes, I'm the same one that wanted to meet the deep dwarves, but I have to take care of my safety to survive such a meeting, you understand.

Day WHAT?! One of my miners has become king. Just like that. His requirements are staggering! He's going to die of a broken heart, poor guy. Not much I can do than quaranteen the poor... but then, they may appoint someone else as king from my squad again? They wouldn't dare... they're not that crazy... are they? Armok save me from fools and madmen...

Oh well, moving on. I had ordered to build a Masonry, I created a Mechanic's workshop myself and a butcher shop for ol' Datan, since he doesn't have any trees to chop. I might just put him on hauling duty, he likes to be inconspicuous like that, occasionally chopping wildlife that our dogs or hunters killed. I've had my mason construct doors, a chair, a table (for me) and a coffin, in that order. Because let me tell you, the more you build, the more doors you'll need. Doors are close requirements after beds (which we won't have much of either until we find a cave) and clothes (of which I heard fearful tales of forts crumbling because of pissy nekkid dwarves). Not even Datan's magic can protect us from such calamities if we're not careful! I'm also putting Ber on the mining detail, because we'll need another miner once Sigun, our illustrious king's heart gives out, and we need to find those trees (and that spider silk, and those deep dwarves) as fast as possible. I've already found a way to... isolate Sigun before it's too late. I just hope it works so his future madness won't drag us down with us.

Poor fellow, he had such high ambitions too.

6th slate: my first cave!
[to be continued]
----
OOC & Improvised bug tracker: So, in for a penny, in for a pound. Since I got the king in the first go, I have to go on with what I have. And I don't have much lack, to be honest.

Do you think I can actually save him?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:38:17 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tadinramul, a tale of caves, cunning and... miner kings?!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:47:42 am »

...and lots of troglodytes. I won't be opening them up anytime soon then, not without a corridor laden with traps at least, and even then I don't trust my subordonates to not run like madmen into them. Though I have to say, from the infrared sketches they're sending me through the walls, they are beautiful. Especially enormous nethercap trees. In fact, it looks like if there aren't any flying critters, I may have them dig on the top floors of the caverns and start chopping. I really need that wood!

Further consideration: I have convened with Datan and he says that is an AWFUL idea. He says Armok recently gave all its creatures, including us dwarves  and our enemies (for Armok does not care who benefits from his meandering, only that blood is spilled in his name) the ability to climb trees and swing from them along with the humongous trees we see before us, probably bait for a bloodbath. So, if we start chopping the tops, things will probably descend on us if we're not prepared. Why are you mocking us, Armok? We really need that wood!

13 slate: Not much to report. Still digging downward. I have realised the problem with my problem: to make cage traps, I need cages. To make cages, I need wood. To get to the wood, I need to get rid of the troglodytes. To get rid of the troglodytes, I need cage traps. I could always storm them, but I'm not that desperate nor foolish. I'll have to wait out the trolls to leave the caves. In the meanwhile, I've had my idle subordonates build a semblance of a wall around our outside. I had been warned just prior to our arrival that wolves may be active around here. With 40 budding pups, I am not as worried as I could be, but still... better safe than sorry. Armok laughs at the deaths of the unprepared, after all.

Slate 17: And another cave system! With... crundle? This seems promising, for a hit-and-run at least. I think between his sturdy axe and his magic, Datan should be safe to chop some trees. Hoping of course only the crundles are in there.

Still Slate? I've taken some drastic and risky action, isolating a part of a cave and having my miners remove the up ramps, but it seems to be working. The crundles are staying in place, Datan is chopping his wood as fast as he can and the miners keep removing those ramps. Before you ask where I am, obviously I'm making more mechanisms! Never enough mechanisms they say in the mountainhome!

No, damn you, no! Datan fell asleep after chopping A LOT of trees, or at least a few very big ones that gave a lot of wood. In the underground forest! Dear Armok! Just when I needed him to make BEDS to, you know, SLEEP in! Now I'm having Ustuth the mason build it because he's the only one apart from one miner still awake. I have a feeling the future-former king is going to wake up very, very cranky...

13 Feliste: Notice a pattern?... Magma sea finally found. And I'm glad for Datan's magic on the temperature, or I'd have myself a magma-boiled miner king. Who seems to be taking decently well sleeping without a room, or not having his over 20 requirements. I wonder how that'll last...

15 Felsite: My first masterpiece chert mechanism! Damn proud too, I yelled to everybody. Oh, and magma crab detected. Wall up those stairs people! Even without its heat rays of death, it throws quite a punch!

Late Felsite: At least I have some beds now. Shabby rooms, but we've already hit the caves AND the magma in less than a season. Now THAT's craftdwarfship, isn't it? We also have some cages and I'm beginning to cage-trap the entrance to that part of the cave I had (relatively) sealed up. The magma crab may still remain a problem for a while, as my mason refuses to build two pillars on a stairway that could let him right towards him. Suicidal fool I say, but I have to continue. At least there are no sightings of wolves yet, and our walls are half completed.

1st hematite 103: It is now summer.

----

Improvised bug tracking part 2: So apparently, if I make a copy of the save folder, then leave my fortress, either "temporarily" or "to ruin" and I try to enter in Legends, the game crashes when it's trying to read civilizations for some reason. I don't see a way around it.

Edit: Dammit, I think I found the problem. It may have been a buggy world generation that ended in year 50 even as I was in year 103. I think I'll never going to be able to abandon and pick something else up in the same world.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:03:35 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.