Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: The Fitness Thread (aka Git Fit, aka Swole Patrol, aka Many Rep, Such Wow)  (Read 16569 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Fitness Thread (aka Git Fit, aka Swole Patrol, aka Many Rep, Such Wow)
« Reply #345 on: September 12, 2019, 01:39:23 pm »

Doing negatives of pull-ups is something that's always helped me with increasing the number of them I can do at once. If you get to 3 and can't do a full one after that, jump-pull yourself up and then let yourself down slowly, resisting the whole time. You'll probably be able to do another 2-3ish of those, and it's a good buildup to doing more.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2019, 10:28:41 pm »

Took a little over a week off, just stopped everything cold turkey. I know I should probably have kept stretching during that time but eh, a break means a break from the routine in general. I think I did one five mile walk.

And man....the emotional swings are kinda real. Every few days I'd kinda cycle between getting excited to get back in the gym, and getting down and sorta questioning the process. Didn't help I've been dealing with some pain/overtension in my left elbow/forearm. When you're not working out, but you've still got some pain when you're supposedly just resting, all you have is time to dwell on it. I started getting other odd muscle pains too, like my left lat just kinda seized up in bed last night while I was reading, an utterly different sensation to it feeling worked from my workout.

I was dreading my workout today. Worried about my arm, wondering how far back I've slid, not feeling crazy motivated like I always expect to. But I got through it, and after it was over I immediately felt "like normal", ie tired but alert and feeling vital. Strong.

When you go go go all the time, you start adapting to being in that state perpetually. You start getting mighty used to the endorphins from working out, to the point you acclimate to them and the sensation levels off, which it has in my case in some ways. But as soon as I deprived myself of that, I started feeling it within a few days. Started feeling sluggish, unmotivated. A little adrift like I didn't know what to do with my time.

I guess that's one sort of unspoken thing about making fitness a kind of lifestyle. You get used to how you feel when you're worked all the time, and bringing it to a complete halt comes with a noticeable difference in mood and attitude and overall body feel. I'm glad I took it though, it was nice to just store some calories and let my body relax. Just wish my arm felt good, that's about my only complaint right now.
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 24, 2019, 02:12:32 am »

It took me 30 minutes to do 120 push ups today. It's humbling to know how weak my upper body is at such basic shit. Gonna focus on basic calisthenics on my off days, which should hopefully help with the barbell lifts once I do get back to the gym.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]