Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 954780 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: A comparative biology of Beastmen.
« Reply #10380 on: May 23, 2018, 09:00:57 am »

Man, Clone Wars 2003 was the shit.
High five me, Bro. If WH40K had a 2003 Clone Wars Genndy Tartakofsky cartoon, you'd bet your ass I'd be watching that shit.
You both are damn right!

Imagine that kind of action but 40k.
Hell, the mountain-sized hovering jackhammer would probably fit better in 40K than strawers-verse.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10381 on: May 23, 2018, 09:22:16 am »

Here you go:
Spoiler: My Samus (click to show/hide)

He's not perfect for a lot of reasons, but I'm really happy with him. First big model I've ever done.
That is fucking disgusting for all the right reasons. You nailed it with the stitched fleshy tones

I mostly liked this post. I can see how Adventures can be seen as a canary, even if I don't agree that the books themselves are an "unthinkably stupid" expansion of the IP.
Thanks fam

Regarding thundercats, I think that's a slightly different phenomena, just one pretending to be "broadening the appeal." Because the primary reason for adopting that art style and form of humour is just ease of writing, low cost of production and ease of animation, not actually "broadening the appeal," because it's actually reducing the size of its audience. There's also an element of a lot of the artists they're bringing over being people who actually despise the old canon; as far as I know, GW and BL have hired people who despise certain factions and characters in 40k, but they haven't hired someone who's hated the entirety of 40k itself (not counting obscure shovelware). It's the perfect fusion between quick and cheap production for the studio, and the fulfillment of the weird desire postmodern artists have for defiling beautiful things:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love this example because they had an intern deface an original drawing made by one of Cowboy Bebop's creators - who later said it was an accidental fuckup, as they didn't know the significance of it. Yet after they learned the significance of it, they found another drawing and did the same thing, even smugger
So it's rather bizarre, where you've got a few who have some ideological boner to homogenize everything in favour of a target audience - I suppose in both cases, they're claiming it's to appeal to a younger audience by stripping both mediums of all the things which made it appealing to a younger audience, but I remember an interview with an animator once where he went on about how you had to be careful with criticism, because artistic criticism could get you blacklisted pretty quickly from future employment, resulting in this weird world where pointing out how their "mass appeal" is reducing the appeal or the art style is overused is seen as hateful.

Spoiler: warning, calarts gore (click to show/hide)
There may be a simple element of education, in that arts Unis struggle to get Professors who teach draftsmanship and students who want to learn it, but then you get this kinda weirdness:
Where artists go to art Unis and somehow go backwards in skill...?

This is confusing given the success of action shows for kids. I do like this logic, for it is a common thread between what is happening to animation and 40k - which is why I think many fans are panicking with such anxiety. In the distant minds of corporate consultants, one can only imagine that they believe genre shifting something from a mature audience to a child's one means an easy cash cow, based off of assessments over what is successful and what is not [even when it is demonstrably evident they are getting less successful!].

It is also alarming that GW is making overtures towards children as synonymous with moronic and immature - certainly doesn't bode well for the franchise. I remember in my childhood reading BL books for the first time, one of them in particular is vivid in my memory. The opening chapter featured a boy in a regiment of guardsmen landing in the no man's land between some Guardsmen and some Orks. His Guardsmen regiment use Napoleonic era tactics, equipment and strategy, and are entirely wiped out by the Orks with a single survivor reaching Imperial trenches, populated by more cynical Guardsmen using standard Imperial attrition strategy and tactics. It's the boy-soldier, whom the other Guardsman say won't make it past the average lifespan for Guardsmen on this front: Fifteen Hours. Which is also the name of the book

It's stuff like that which makes me so puzzled at the logic working in GW's mind. Going backwards in maturity, deleting all the character which actually makes 40k appealing to new audiences and new generations... How does homogenizing the setting into an indistinct mass with the rest of the various sci-fi settings on the market make any sense? It is like there has been a confusion between a "mass appeal" and "appealing." It's just so incomprehensible why a company which invented a whole genre would embark on a quest to exile itself from its dominant position in that genre market - it'd be like Coca Cola abandoning soft drinks o_O

It's all just so frustrating seeing days go by where people never stop going on about how children can't handle the Chronicles of Narnia or Thomas the Tank Engine or Paw Patrol because of their theological, colonial and fascistic themes. 40k was already fine lol. It's all so tiring

When does it end

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10382 on: May 23, 2018, 09:31:06 am »

Whether or not Star Wars is “fine” depends entirely on who you ask. It’s not universally acknowledged to be great anymore. Also did we forget Attack Of The Clones and the goofy, child friendly humor they shoveled in there that exactly no one asked for or liked?

I’m fine with kids stuff, as long as it’s done well. And the characters in this thing remind me of a certain young boy wunderkid who no one liked at the end of the day.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10383 on: May 23, 2018, 09:33:01 am »

It’s not universally acknowledged to be great anymore.

Anymore? Was it ever? There's always going to be people who dislike something.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10384 on: May 23, 2018, 09:37:07 am »

I'd read this, I seriously would. I remember YA novels in my day were....if not edgy, then more on the A than Y side of the equation. That kind of style is a great fit for 40k, I think, and the more serious tone the writing has taken lately.

The current offering however makes me think of Teen Titans level of cringe.
Haha, thanks. I might see if I end up pitching it to BL one day, failing that just throw it to /tg/ once I'm done with my personal projects

Anymore? Was it ever? There's always going to be people who dislike something.
Certainly, but one cannot be all to aware that Star Wars has lost its ""universal"" lustre. I don't even watch it but the inescapable cloud of people arguing over what Disney does to the EU, whether the new trilogy is worse than the prequels, whether TLJ or TFA is better, whether they're all shit, whether they're problematic e.t.c., couple that with the lukewarm reception to Han Solo prequels, shows to me it's not got the same religious-tier fanaticism over its fans it once had. Also porgs

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10385 on: May 23, 2018, 09:41:58 am »

Pre-prequels I felt like the # of people who thought the original three were bad movies was an extreme minority. Questioning SW in the 80s and 90s was practically heresy. Now? I feel like fans and haters are represented in equal numbers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10386 on: May 23, 2018, 10:13:04 am »

What happened to those cowboy bebop drawings should be punished by a firing squad, and that's not a joke. A hefty fine or at least getting it's ass kicked out of the door and not being hired ever again is the bare minimum.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10387 on: May 23, 2018, 03:51:55 pm »

Nuke CalArts in general.

In truth, though, the destruction of any concept of objective skill in art is something that has been going on for almost a century now. Now art should be about "the artist's feelings" instead of the artist trying to evoke feelings (through skill or anything else) in the observer. Post-modernism is a cancer that needs to be excised from the art community. Read Explaining Postmodernism for information on it: http://www.stephenhicks.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ep-ee-2014-printing.pdf

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10388 on: May 23, 2018, 03:59:48 pm »

Nothing can save us from this grimdark reality

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10389 on: May 23, 2018, 09:54:16 pm »

Nothing can save us from this grimdark reality

And thus, Humanity descends into a grimdark age of rogue psykers and techno-barbarians. In one final rush of artistic ignorance, the Dark Age of Technology comes to a sweeping close as the God Emperor of Mankind watches from the shadows...
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10390 on: May 24, 2018, 07:16:53 am »

And thus, Humanity descends into a grimdark age of rogue psykers and techno-barbarians. In one final rush of artistic ignorance, the Dark Age of Technology comes to a sweeping close as the God Emperor of Mankind watches from the shadows...
...And says:
"Fuck this I'm leading the Orks instead"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10391 on: May 24, 2018, 12:44:51 pm »

The waaaaaaagh emperor of orkiest kind
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10392 on: May 24, 2018, 05:12:39 pm »

I remember a time when you actually needed talent and skills to be considered an artist....

I also blame all this on the "everyone is special and deserves a prize just for breathing" fade.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:34:45 pm by LordBaal »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10393 on: May 25, 2018, 06:20:51 am »

Would the Emperor represent Gork or Mork

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10394 on: May 25, 2018, 06:48:30 am »

Would the Emperor represent Gork or Mork
Mork. The Emperor is a scientist and a psyker.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 691 692 [693] 694 695 ... 824