Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 953779 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Baby's first Exterminatus.
« Reply #10500 on: August 31, 2018, 03:45:19 pm »

I feel like the music in the trailer was 30% too loud. I could barely understand the narrator.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: September 02, 2018, 01:04:06 pm »

I took Space Marine for a spin, and it is surprisingly hard even on easy... You need to use all your gear to get through some encounters (don't forget your grenades! There are some battles where they are the difference between a painful loss and an easy time).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: September 02, 2018, 03:27:36 pm »

The most difficult/annoying thing I found with Space Marine is that you aren't invulnerable during executions. So busting out an execution in a crowd full of guys pumping you full of dakka is not a tactic supported by the Codex Astartes, despite that being exactly what Space Marines do.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: September 02, 2018, 05:28:50 pm »

Relying on ranged weapons is pretty much critical on hard difficulty. And the Melta gun is so OP it can actually end boss battles in about as fast as you can empty it's ammo (on hard mode).

But yeah, trying to actually scrap with a mob of orks is surprisingly lethal.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: September 02, 2018, 05:46:22 pm »

I think I mostly leaned on a Thunder Hammer for most of my hard difficulty campaign, kept passing up the chances to swap it back out for an axe/sword in favour of the massive melee damage. Left me with just the bolter and pistol for range though, which hurt badly whenever I got into an area where closing the gap was difficult.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: September 02, 2018, 06:22:45 pm »

Oh, but a jump pack/thunder hammer combo is so fun to rocket around with.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: September 03, 2018, 02:46:57 am »

That's what I played the whole game through with too. It kept melee viable due to the crowd control knockback and the quick in/out maneuvers. And it's just satisfying AF.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: September 04, 2018, 04:06:31 pm »

Relying on ranged weapons is pretty much critical on hard difficulty. And the Melta gun is so OP it can actually end boss battles in about as fast as you can empty it's ammo (on hard mode).

But yeah, trying to actually scrap with a mob of orks is surprisingly lethal.

I don't think I ever played on hard, but this is a little surprising.  I remembered the game feeling like ranged weapons were only ever a temporary distraction between raging melee gorefests, with ammo being rare enough that I was frequently out of it in the bolter.

Then again, I'd entirely forgotten a meltagun was even in the game, so I'm apparently just forgetting everything important.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: September 04, 2018, 04:57:01 pm »

I preferred the chainsword's executions (and maybe DoW had me thinking it was the better option for hordes) and relied on ranged weapons a lot.  I was very aware of ammo and tended to use the pistol by default, switching to the actual guns for distant or heavy targets.  The melter was indeed effective, though the stalker boltgun was also very nice.

I have to say the plasma pistol was my favorite weapon, ahehe.
Edit: To clarify, I love the "rhythm" of its charging, and the charged-shot's decent effectiveness against single heavy opponents.  And IIRC, the charged shot exploded to disrupt crowds?

I seem to recall rarely dying during executions, even busy ones.  I may have executed a bit eagerly though, heh, so usually with a buffer of health.  Playing on normal.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:00:26 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: September 04, 2018, 06:10:53 pm »

First playthrough used the Thunder Hammer a lot, but I remember having significant difficulty when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second playthrough I stuck with the Power Axe, because the Plasma Cannon makes great damage. Add a Storm Bolter for late-game carnage was well.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: September 04, 2018, 06:16:32 pm »

I think I just got tired of managing ammo and so started doing everything with the TH and JP. After a while my head calculation was "Do I want to spend half a mag from a storm bolter to kill one or two guys.....or would I rather jump pack slam and then splatter 8 with the TH?"

Also the deal with executions is, late game, if you do it in the middle of a crowd of guys you'll get that execution....then immediately lose half the heal during the animation and recovery. If you go straight in to another execution, you may or may not get ganked before it gives the health to you. I probably ended up in this situation due to my entire reliance on melee....but it just made me a better melee fighter in the end, and stop reflex chain executing every time I saw the prompt. It's fine in the early game but not late game.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:28:19 pm by nenjin »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: September 04, 2018, 08:45:44 pm »

I just replayed Chapter 2, and yeah, mid-battle executions are a lot more dangerous than I remembered.  If you pull it off then it does knock nearby enemies back pretty hard, leaving you in a good condition.  It's also faster than it looks due to slow-mo.  Still, it's often a good idea to fall back and build up some shields first.

In a cute bit of narrative game design, the natural usage is to cinematically finish off the last couple of enemies.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10512 on: September 04, 2018, 09:59:09 pm »

Yeah, the Titan thing and the last boss fight were the worst things for me. I think I spent like 1/3 of my playtime trying to finish the last fight on hardest difficulty. There is like only one spot on the map where you have a chance to survive and at the same time you have to juggle both melee and ranged combat, not to mention grenades can flush you out easily into fire, and other stupid shit. Pretty terrific.

I was generally really happy with the game, and the free game actually revived the multiplayer a bit for a while.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: September 18, 2018, 06:43:35 pm »

I've had a copy of Dark Imperium sitting in my unfinished projects heap* for well over a year now and I've finally gotten around to a scheme I actually like doing for the Death Guard in the set.

A variant on the Black Legion scheme for the units from other Legions. Decided to go rust/corrosion free and keep things simple.

Currently part way through trying to do the Bloat Drone from DI in this scheme, but damn does that thing have a lot of blubbery meat to paint around.

*It's a depressingly big heap.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: September 18, 2018, 06:50:51 pm »

Top notch bone work. Very nice.
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 824