Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 953533 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10710 on: November 16, 2018, 12:13:37 pm »

So if Big E was the result of practically every shaman psyker merging, and we can assume that the average shaman is 'modestly' to 'Black Ship hunts you down when because they feel the backlash of your birth' powerful, how did E get even strong enough to imprison the Void Dragon when he did?  He was just a sexy, sexy balt then with a modest warband, right?

Why can we assume that? Maybe they just don't make shaman like they used to.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10711 on: November 16, 2018, 12:23:56 pm »

So if Big E was the result of practically every shaman psyker merging, and we can assume that the average shaman is 'modestly' to 'Black Ship hunts you down when because they feel the backlash of your birth' powerful, how did E get even strong enough to imprison the Void Dragon when he did?  He was just a sexy, sexy balt then with a modest warband, right?

Why can we assume that? Maybe they just don't make shaman like they used to.

Not only that but apparently the warp was different when he was born and humans are steadily growing more psychic. We don't really know enough about it to determine imo
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: November 16, 2018, 12:29:48 pm »

Frankly the account I had read seems more like an Allegory than anything else.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: November 16, 2018, 12:46:53 pm »

Frankly the account I had read seems more like an Allegory than anything else.

It'd be hard to frame "the collective reincarnation of all of humanity's psychic mutants fought a magic metal dragon wizard in 1300s Libya and hauled it off to Mars without anybody noticing" any other way, to be fair.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: November 16, 2018, 01:07:48 pm »

Weird stuff gets a pass during dragon breaks 8)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10715 on: November 16, 2018, 02:04:43 pm »

The outer defensive lines were more comparable to German WW1 trenches to my understanding, fortified trenches with bunkers and artillery support, as opposed to a Maginot style field of heavy fortifications, armoured gun emplacements, mobility restricting obstacles and such. Gorgons could drive right up to the first trench lines after all, which would have been pretty difficult if there were proper tank traps and similar there.
Yes, but all those are covering each other. The outwards ones are being covered by artillery and giant fucking guns from fortress, so while technically it's easier to walk into the outer line, since it's not like, giant walls, but you are constantly shelled by the guns on giant walls and artillery in more trenches, and generally there's so many fucking fortifications.

Things is there's plenty of things the DK did wrong on Vraks, some tactical and some just issues with poor equipment choices for the assault.
Sure, they do fuck up, like everyone does. You can't wage war and expect your plan to be 100% flawless, but in general they were amazing at it.

Holding tanks in reserve until breaches were already made in the outer trenches rather than bringing armour that could help suppress trenches with machine gun fire or explosives or burn them out with flamers is a pretty poor idea, a few close quarters armed Leman Russ tanks or Hellhounds coming up in the cover of the Gorgons could have incinerated whole trenches in minutes rather than forcing the DK to clear them by hand and face the heavy numbers of defenders and close quarters heavy units the DK lacked but the traitor's had in spades.
Tanks are expensive. Men are not. Also, Gorgon assaults are covered by heavy artillery shelling. Few tanks don't really make that much difference, and it only endangers them.

Poor communications equipment is another issue, they didn't even issue their elite grenadier units anything better than a squad vox unit, which was why they were so reluctant to try more complex assault plans, if they'd issued some of their elites with microbeads, even just the sergeants, they could have coordinated nighttime assaults easily for all the trench assaults rather than considering it too difficult to try.
Someone is gonna have to go there and pluck those microbeads out of their ears. Presumably microbeads, being much lower power than vox units, have been interferenced by weather and the sheer amount of ground and explosions flying in the air.

They also sent tons of Kriegsmen fresh out of training, they'd never seen any planets other than Krieg and had no real combat experience and were just thrown into a battle on alien terrain in incredibly hostile conditions they had never encountered.
Uh. So, like, Imperial Guard does regularly?

Sending a force from multiple worlds that were all experienced in actual combat would probably have been a better use of men than selecting all of them from one world if that force requires new recruits to bulk it out. Vraks was not a good place to get your first live fighting experience.
Experienced Kriegers are kind of a weird combination of words. Also, that is assuming you have the comfort of doing that, which Imperium presumably doesn't.

Air support does not seem to have been present at Vraks from what I can find,
Marauder bombers played a quite big role in the siege, and there were tons of other stuff.

and the original army list for the DK didn't have access to any fliers (though at the time they were all classed as skimmers anyway, but it was still a major distinction between them and normal IG.)
Lore =/= tabletop. And again, what Imperial Guard regiments mainly use is stuff like Valkyries, while what was used was mainly heavy air support like Marauder Bombers, Thunderbolts and such. I am not aware if stuff like that was in IG lists back then, but in terms of fluff those were certainly used at Vraks.

Granted this may have been due to the insane weather storms on Vraks making heavy use of fliers difficult, but the traitors still managed to use the odd thing like Arvus Lighters to ferry troops around, so I think it's more just that Kriegers don't care for air support due to their military traditions.
Kriegers, again, have absolutely no say in getting air support or not. If there weren't any fliers (and there were), blame Imperial Navy.

Most of this stuff can be blamed on Commander Zuehlke, his command staff and the Munitorum more than the field commanders, but I still feel the reason Vraks took so long and became such a mess was because the DK weren't actually the best choice for the assault, they aren't great with using mechanised and armoured forces, lack speed and are defined by squandering resources in futile assaults due to their penitence complex (an actual part of their regimental summary, they're Chenkov: The Faction.) In a war where time and available manpower isn't a factor those are fine, but when you have a set timeline to finish things in and only so many military assets to spare you need a regiment with a bit more speed and coordination to minimise losses relative to progress in taking the objective. Cadian/Steel Legion style mechanised regiments supported by rapid armoured assaults could have negated the advantages of the outer static defences in much the same way trench warfare was largely supplanted by tank warfare in the real world.
Mechanized regiments would be destroyed by enemy cannons. That stuff killed ships, the only reasonable option was a siege. Siege, where you hammer the enemy with as much artillery as you can, and what is left there is land that is horribly hard to traverse with vehicles. I mean, sure, if they deployed like 100 Imperator titans on Vraks, then that would be over pretty fast, but can't have everything, can we?

Okay, so, humanity is psychic. There's bunch of shamans, maybe like few hundred or thousand, and people are being sometimes eaten by enslavers and shit, so shamans decide to bunch up and do a ritual to focus humanity power in one being. Boom. There are no psykers for next what, 35000 years? Emperor, as a being, is filthy powerful, because his existence is essentially humanity trading becoming something akin to Eldar in terms of psykers to just focusing all that shit in one person. Presumably only now, with Emperor losing a bit of grip, humanity starts getting more and more psykers, which are then usually delivered to him anyway.

It'd be hard to frame "the collective reincarnation of all of humanity's psychic mutants fought a magic metal dragon wizard in 1300s Libya and hauled it off to Mars without anybody noticing" any other way, to be fair.
Quite a few sources imply legend of Saint George is people explaining Emperor fighting Void Dragon. I mean, think about it, in various versions there's stuff about statues possessed by Satan, then there's the Dragon, and all that shit. GW toys with history quite a bit, like placing Emperor's birth in Anatolia, and historically, "soon" after Hittite Empire appears. The royal symbol of Hittites was a double-headed eagle.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: November 16, 2018, 09:42:11 pm »

I think all those shamans dying is what made the humans took so many thousands years to develop all those psykers again. I think is mentioned somewhere.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10717 on: November 16, 2018, 11:11:22 pm »

Yeah, that's the idea. It should be noted that psychic powers seem to be less dependent on genetics though, so it seems it's less a case of there not being psyker material around. I mean I guess Emperor's children are psykers in a weird, unique way, but that's Sensei update arms race you lazy bum for you. There's a theory it's caused by Emperor sucking out psychic potential for quite a few generations forward, which is what I'm getting at.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: November 16, 2018, 11:30:27 pm »

Well if the warp was going  batshit at the time, it'd make sense to drain the racial psyker tank until Big E got his stuff together.  I'm pretty sure that's even a logical precaution to take before mass suicide.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: November 17, 2018, 12:09:52 am »

Quite a few sources imply legend of Saint George is people explaining Emperor fighting Void Dragon. I mean, think about it, in various versions there's stuff about statues possessed by Satan, then there's the Dragon, and all that shit. GW toys with history quite a bit, like placing Emperor's birth in Anatolia, and historically, "soon" after Hittite Empire appears. The royal symbol of Hittites was a double-headed eagle.

Unless there's a version that I missed involving interplanetary spacecraft, I still stand by that part going unnoticed.

Well if the warp was going  batshit at the time, it'd make sense to drain the racial psyker tank until Big E got his stuff together.  I'm pretty sure that's even a logical precaution to take before mass suicide.

Those shaman were also slowly failing to reincarnate as the Warp took them, so Voltronning their souls together via mass suicide was partly a survival measure. That might also explain why those shaman were so much more powerful: the Emperor was formed from all of humanity's psyker Perpetuals at the time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10720 on: November 17, 2018, 08:51:25 am »

Yeah, that's the idea. It should be noted that psychic powers seem to be less dependent on genetics though, so it seems it's less a case of there not being psyker material around. I mean I guess Emperor's children are psykers in a weird, unique way, but that's Sensei update arms race you lazy bum for you. There's a theory it's caused by Emperor sucking out psychic potential for quite a few generations forward, which is what I'm getting at.
I dunno, I haven't actually read anything defining the specifics of psykers & genetics, no one's gone full midochlorians yet ;P
We do know for certain that it's a genetic trait thought. If I had to hazard a guess, it must be carried in a series of recessive alleles, so in theory if you could Hapsburg a couple of alpha psykers to produce a shed load more of them, and I think the only thing stopping this from happening in the Imperium is demonic possession & the black ships keeping the Imperium's psyker population suppressed

*EDIT
The ideal Imperium would be half alpha psykers and half blanks. Then they'd get all the benefits of the warp whilst being immune to all of its downsides. Imagine a navigator led ship crewed by blanks, any demon invasion of the ship would kill itself in disgust
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:53:48 am by Loud Whispers »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10721 on: November 17, 2018, 09:11:29 am »

I dunno, I haven't actually read anything defining the specifics of psykers & genetics, no one's gone full midochlorians yet ;P
We do know for certain that it's a genetic trait thought. If I had to hazard a guess, it must be carried in a series of recessive alleles, so in theory if you could Hapsburg a couple of alpha psykers to produce a shed load more of them, and I think the only thing stopping this from happening in the Imperium is demonic possession & the black ships keeping the Imperium's psyker population suppressed
Not always, not necessarily, and it's more complicated than that. Remember, this is Warp we're talking about. Last time Imperium tried to fuck with genetics like that, they ended up having Afriel Strain. This isn't just genetics, you can't think "well it'd work genetically in real life". People have souls, and various cloning and breeding programs might fuck up with warp in unpredictable ways, and that's not even considering that one of major and very common side effect of psyker sanctification is sterility.

*EDIT
The ideal Imperium would be half alpha psykers and half blanks. Then they'd get all the benefits of the warp whilst being immune to all of its downsides. Imagine a navigator led ship crewed by blanks, any demon invasion of the ship would kill itself in disgust
That's incredibly retarded idea. They'd just kill each other. The problem of blanks is that their lack of souls hurts, both physically and psychically. When it comes to normal people, it generally just makes those people unlikable and shunned, but if you had powerful Psykers and Blanks, it'd be more like vicious frog reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeing and soon after an Imperium wide civil war in which psykers want to murder all blanks and blanks want to murder psykers before they accomplish that.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: November 17, 2018, 12:17:59 pm »

I thought the "actively hurts the head of nearby psykers" was an Untouchable thing, aka the super-blanks
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10723 on: November 17, 2018, 01:09:59 pm »

There are various takes on that, presumably corresponding to various ranks of "psychic nullness" just like there are various ranks of psykers. There are people without souls that are just off, but they also don't really cause significant anti-psychical fields or anything. They're just have no warp signature, so they are pretty unnoticeable. In case of a ship filled with them the daemons would just eat everyone except them, fuck up the ship and leave it be. They'd be fucked in brain from witnessing the immense amounts of rape and gore, and presumably dead anyway since ship gets damaged and possibly "warped" in it's own way, since ironically it might have more of a soul (think of it like Waagh, a bit like residual psychical influence, this is why chaotic things tend to end up looking chaotic despite not being specifically turned into some form of specific chaotic thing) than the blanks themselves.
Then there are more advanced forms of blanks, but the general idea is that if you want actual effect that would be useful, you also get disadvantages. Look at it this way - it works the same for regular humans and psykers, just magnified in latter case. Low level blanks just feel off and are somewhat easier to miss if you glance into a room. For psykers, they just aren't there, and direct psyker influence won't work. Higher level blanks that actually generate a feeling of unease are the ones that create a field of "fuck your magic" that results in psykers going reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. It's magnified the bigger difference there is between psyker and blank levels - alpha psykers would be really, extremely unhappy about even slight anti-psyker field.
There is also the problem of absolute lack of consistence regarding blank names. Pariahs, blanks, nulls, it's all describing the same thing.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: November 17, 2018, 01:15:56 pm »

ideally nobody would have any souls and would just flip off chaos because now it can't do anything
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 824