Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 951699 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Yeah, I mostly took the terminators because I had an unopened box of them for some reason and put them together for the battle.  2+ saves just aren't what they used to be, and even having 2 wounds doesn't help a lot.

I'm on the fence about the predator I took.  On one hand, it feels like vehicles are way tougher in this edition, but on the other, it didn't feel like it put out much damage.  I'm sure it would have been better with lascannons, even if the flat 3 damage on the autocannon is surprisingly good.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Yeah the predators are weird currently. I still take them with autos because it’s a far cheaper option, but side-las never hurts. Puts a massive target on them, but they can take more hits than devestators.

Also remember that your terminators can rapid fire at full range while moving now. Maybe not helpful against a riptide though.

I’ve heard it said that terminators basically have one place in the meta now and that’s thunder hammers and storm shields, vigorously attacking the ankles of knights. For everything else you might as well run primaris, especially now that their snipers are soon to get lascannons.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was close enough to charge the riptide with the terminators once, but forgot to do it on my turn so I didn't get to find out if 3 power fists and a power sword would have much of a dent in it.  I'm led to believe that tau have enough gimmicks to get out of close combat that it might not have helped, but I don't know if those apply to battlesuits.

But, yeah, I actually was aware of the beta rules for bolters and storm bolters, and made liberal use of it.  I didn't have many great targets with the terminators though, and spent at least two rounds pouring 16 bolter shots into the crisis suit squad to no effect.  I was splitting their assault cannon up to shoot at a ghostkill suit instead, but I might should have just focused on the crisis suits with the assault cannon too since they only did like two wounds to the suit in the end that way.  Most of the damage I did to it came from devastators and the predator.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was close enough to charge the riptide with the terminators once, but forgot to do it on my turn so I didn't get to find out if 3 power fists and a power sword would have much of a dent in it.  I'm led to believe that tau have enough gimmicks to get out of close combat that it might not have helped, but I don't know if those apply to battlesuits.

But, yeah, I actually was aware of the beta rules for bolters and storm bolters, and made liberal use of it.  I didn't have many great targets with the terminators though, and spent at least two rounds pouring 16 bolter shots into the crisis suit squad to no effect.  I was splitting their assault cannon up to shoot at a ghostkill suit instead, but I might should have just focused on the crisis suits with the assault cannon too since they only did like two wounds to the suit in the end that way.  Most of the damage I did to it came from devastators and the predator.

Tau for the greater good rule allows them to overwatch your terminators with WHOLE ARMY
Also, if it is TAU sept, they overwatch on 5+ instead of 6+, also pretty sure there was some strategem for making overwatch happen on 4+

You dont charge tau, unless it is blood angels captain smashfucker or shadowcaptain Shrike, who cant be overwatched at all

Also, riptide has fly keyword, so if you did not kill it completely, it would be able to shoot you after falling back.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

The thing is, the units that helped overwatch can’t overwatch again. So you just need to charge with two different units

Tau are really not fun

Not as un-fun as Eldar, but up there
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, dont forget about tau nearly always having drones for  lol, all wounds you make to my giant mecha go to drones, lets roll 5+ fnp drones have, Oh, drones dont lose any wounds.  :P

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it really that common to see shield drones around? I thought they’d been mostly abandoned in favour of gun drones.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's the tradeoff?  Gun drones have 5+ BS and pulse carbines, right?  If you're going for survivability then having the 5+ FNP seems like it would be a better deal, unless gun drones are also cheaper.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile

Is the tau one of the least dystopian factions in this universe?
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dystopia is a word for a malfunctioning utopia, so I’m happy to say it’s one of the most.

Everywhere else is fully aware of their terribleness.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is the tau one of the least dystopian factions in this universe?

Broadly speaking yes. Less citizens of the Tau are going to experience overtly horrible conditions of deprivation at any given time than any other faction save the Craftworld Eldar, but the Tau are still a horrific society by most metrics.

They are a highly effective police state and surveillance state, where the Imperium struggles to perform either due to scale.

They have a rigid caste system and no Tau is truly free to choose their own life, similarly non-Tau have specific roles to perform in their society and are quietly considered inferior.

They are prone to suicidal misunderstandings of the nature of the galaxy, forming deals with Dark Eldar or dismissing the threat of Chaos as mere superstition, generally to horrible results.

There's strong implications of mind control, within the Tau species themselves and between them and some of their client races.

They are ultimately a militarily motivated faction seeking to dominate all other factions, planets that refuse to join their empire peacefully are militarily invaded when the opportunity arises even if they are otherwise friendly.

They perform highly unethical experiments on their own people, lobotomising some to use them as vessels for the recorded memories of a dead tactical genius, freezing others to use them for later conflicts, infecting some with the genestealer curse out of curiosity. Sterilisation is not off the books for some populations.

The Fourth Sphere expansion fleet was lost in the Warp for a time and returned considering humans something too dangerous to let live in the empire, or at all, and seek to genocide them. The Tau still use them as a military resource even though they are mildly perturbed by their mass murdering of civilians.

The nice(r) version of the Tau is the Farsight Enclaves. Farsight is still a caste system adherent and a racist, but he does give more freedoms than the empire and better understands the true dangers of 40k. Downside is it's still a military dictatorship when you get down to it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile

Tau are sorta like the big E durring the great crusade in a way
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Tau are sorta like the big E durring the great crusade in a way

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile

If someone comes up to you and says that what you're doing is heresy, they're probably a heretic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

No u!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 824