Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 954504 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11685 on: August 01, 2019, 05:32:59 pm »

Heard that Age of Sigmar is pretty decent now lore-wise. Any highlights?

I'm still only familiar with the broad strokes of the lore for it, but I quite like what they've done with the Flesheater Courts*, which are the rebranding of the crypt ghouls and Strigoi vampires. Nagash turning on the other gods because he feels Sigmar broke their deal and also being a megalomaniac fits well. The variety of chaos warbands is pretty interesting.

*It's hard not to love a faction that inspires stuff like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a grotesque man eating monster pretending it's a knight by riding a kids horsie toy made from a pike and a real horse head. It's amazing.
And Slaanesh was the problem?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11686 on: August 01, 2019, 06:56:04 pm »

I'm still only familiar with the broad strokes of the lore for it, but I quite like what they've done with the Flesheater Courts*, which are the rebranding of the crypt ghouls and Strigoi vampires. Nagash turning on the other gods because he feels Sigmar broke their deal and also being a megalomaniac fits well. The variety of chaos warbands is pretty interesting.

*It's hard not to love a faction that inspires stuff like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's a grotesque man eating monster pretending it's a knight by riding a kids horsie toy made from a pike and a real horse head. It's amazing.
I'm pretty sure something like this was a thing in old WHFB, but I don't recall exactly what/why because I know way less of WHFB than I do of WH40k.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: August 01, 2019, 09:01:02 pm »

Isn't this thread for WH40K discussion?
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: August 01, 2019, 09:02:02 pm »

No.  Its a thread for discussions about beheaded ponies who get used as toys

Im pretty sure it is, at least.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: August 01, 2019, 09:25:25 pm »

Isn't this thread for WH40K discussion?
Also for Fantasy and Age of Sigmar, because threads for those two properties don't exist and discussion is too small to bother making threads for them anyway. This thread itself doesn't get that much attention so it's certainly got the room.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11690 on: August 01, 2019, 10:18:28 pm »

Guess radio controled has the final word as OP. And Toady.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11691 on: August 02, 2019, 05:05:05 am »

I'm pretty sure something like this was a thing in old WHFB, but I don't recall exactly what/why because I know way less of WHFB than I do of WH40k.

The Ghoul Kings of the Old World were quite different from the Flesheater Courts.

Spoiler: Ghoul Kings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Flesheater Courts (click to show/hide)

tl;dr the Strigoi were gross bestial vampires with a tragic past and a tragic existence, the flesheater courts are deranged lunatics who see themselves as various noble courts and cultures, and the fanbase noticed a lot of similarities between their early descriptions and the Bretonnians, leading to lots of fun conversions.

EDIT: Oh, and there's more factions of Flesheaters than there were of Strigoi. Each realm is an excuse to make them unique, the only fixed fluff for them and the realms is that most of the ones from Shyish worship Nagash and most of the ones from other realms hate Nagash. There's room for all kings of neat conversions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 05:10:59 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11692 on: August 02, 2019, 06:41:24 am »

Well, yes, I couldn't find it by just scraping the surface of Google, which is why I am uncertain, and why I didn't just equate Ghoul Kings with Flesheater Courts like you seem to imply I did. Either way, I'm pretty sure I heard the "believes they're noble/normal/whatever but actually a flesh eating monster" line in relation to Old World, though maybe it was just someone from community scrapping the few not-horrible parts from Age of Sigmar and putting them into WHFB, or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11693 on: August 02, 2019, 07:01:18 am »

Guess radio controled has the final word as OP. And Toady.

I personally don't mind the occasional detour into WHFB as long as it doesn't make up a sizable portion of the thread, in which case a new thread would probably be more appropriate.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11694 on: August 02, 2019, 07:14:09 am »

Well, yes, I couldn't find it by just scraping the surface of Google, which is why I am uncertain, and why I didn't just equate Ghoul Kings with Flesheater Courts like you seem to imply I did. Either way, I'm pretty sure I heard the "believes they're noble/normal/whatever but actually a flesh eating monster" line in relation to Old World, though maybe it was just someone from community scrapping the few not-horrible parts from Age of Sigmar and putting them into WHFB, or something.

Not seen any of the believes they're normal stuff in any of the WHFB stuff I've read. My old vampire codex doesn't mention anything at least, Strigoi are described in it as knowing full well how messed up they are and hating other vampires for it and ghouls are borderline non-sapient.

EDIT: I have um... acquired a flesh eater courts battletome to read up on them in more detail. Most of the specifics are unimportant to be honest, just more details on their madness, but I rather like a blurb on how they view the Stormcast.

To them the Stormcast look like monstrous undead creatures, stitched back together when killed and animated by unnatural powers. They're not wrong strictly speaking, but it's a fun example of their warped perception of reality.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 07:43:34 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11695 on: August 02, 2019, 02:36:26 pm »

I'm putting together a very horrory Dark Heresy adventure. It's set on the Feudal World home planet of one of the PCs; they're called to investigate the fortress of the PC's order of local witch hunters, which has gone dark. The black ships were delayed and their dungeons are overcrowded with increasingly agitated untrained psykers, so there's much cause for concern...

Naturally, everything's gone to shit once they get there. Essentially, one of the masters of the order got corrupted by Nurgle after deciding that their efforts were doomed and he might as well surrender to apathy. The master freed the psykers and allowed them to be possessed, after which they summoned a daemon of Nurgle into the fortress and killed almost everyone else. The fortress gets increasingly creepier and stranger as the PCs delve deeper, with the thinness of the Veil and the accumulated psychic energies causing all kinds of bizarre phenomena.

So, what kind of phenomena and dangers would be cool to work in? Keep in mind the Nurglish theme - decay, entropy, disease. The daemon is 'the worm that eats at the skin of time', essentially a Greater Daemon that's fortunately not strong enough to manifest fully yet. What I'm going with so far is:

Spoiler: Current Ideas (click to show/hide)

So, any ideas for further spooky things? Thoughts on if some of these are unworkable or run the risk of not being even remotely spooky? I'm trying to do a whole 'increasing tension, creeping horror' thing with things gradually turning worse. I thought about things like rooms that lead into themselves, lights going out and coming back on with the room totally different, faces and identities blurring together, all kinds of things. I'm not sure they fit the Nurglish theme of it, though. It might be better to stick to death, decay, entropy, and all that.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11696 on: August 02, 2019, 03:01:40 pm »

Well you've hit most of the Nurgle notes, the only things I can see missing are the obsession with counting some of the daemons have, the bell theme and the joyful nature, but not all Nurgle things embrace all the thematic traits.

Perhaps something to do with the Garden of Nurgle thematically?

Swap out the rats and things in the Pit for stagnant water and tree roots? Wading knee deep in water while unnatural plants and fungi dig into the walls and eat away at stone and steel. Maybe even have the former inmates still be here with the roots growing out of them, creeping out of their eyes and mouths, bursting from torn throats or distended stomachs and reaching deeper inwards and upwards, with the key on a dead member of the order being consumed by foul insects that swim under the water and the daemonic centipede bursting out from the corpse to pursue them when they take the key.

The roots pierce up through the ceiling and keep going up until they burst through the fortress roof, where they twist into a bulbous stunted tree, lined with the screaming faces of the psykers that fed their growth and hanging with overripe fruit that writhe like amniotic sacks. The center of the tree pulses like a beating heart and something occasionally pushes against it from the inside, distending the bark and revealing the fleshy membrane underneath.

When attacked the tree writhes and scatters fruit from it's branches, that split open like gangrenous wombs to reveal lesser daemonic entities like nurglings which scurry to it's defence. Psychic assaults grabbing at the minds of those nearby as the malignant entities in the tree seek to corrupt or destroy any interlopers.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: August 02, 2019, 03:20:23 pm »

Hot Take:  The Count from sesame street is a nurglite demon.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11698 on: August 02, 2019, 03:49:18 pm »

They need a key to access the upstairs? Plan for them to bypass the spooky basement by vaporizing the lock~

I wouldn't be afraid to include elements that are spooky but not Nurglish. Even with a greater demon of Nurgle in charge, 100 psykers all exploding in a small area is sure to cause some general mayhem. Hell, maybe a demon of Tzeench is helping the party from behind the scenes, to get back at a rival.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: August 02, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »

Well you've hit most of the Nurgle notes, the only things I can see missing are the obsession with counting some of the daemons have, the bell theme and the joyful nature, but not all Nurgle things embrace all the thematic traits.

Perhaps something to do with the Garden of Nurgle thematically?

Swap out the rats and things in the Pit for stagnant water and tree roots? Wading knee deep in water while unnatural plants and fungi dig into the walls and eat away at stone and steel. Maybe even have the former inmates still be here with the roots growing out of them, creeping out of their eyes and mouths, bursting from torn throats or distended stomachs and reaching deeper inwards and upwards, with the key on a dead member of the order being consumed by foul insects that swim under the water and the daemonic centipede bursting out from the corpse to pursue them when they take the key.

The roots pierce up through the ceiling and keep going up until they burst through the fortress roof, where they twist into a bulbous stunted tree, lined with the screaming faces of the psykers that fed their growth and hanging with overripe fruit that writhe like amniotic sacks. The center of the tree pulses like a beating heart and something occasionally pushes against it from the inside, distending the bark and revealing the fleshy membrane underneath.

When attacked the tree writhes and scatters fruit from it's branches, that split open like gangrenous wombs to reveal lesser daemonic entities like nurglings which scurry to it's defence. Psychic assaults grabbing at the minds of those nearby as the malignant entities in the tree seek to corrupt or destroy any interlopers.

Oh, this is good stuff. I was actually planning on some stuff in this vein - tree roots pushing through walls, pulsing with the heartbeat like giant veins, bleeding when you cut into them like with the flood wave of blood. I think the basement could actually be flooded in blood after that, though stagnant water is perhaps less on the nose. Having to wade through water with the Worm moving under the surface works just as well as having to wade through swarms of vermin with the Worm moving in the earth and walls. I love the idea of having the psykers form this actual awful organic whole like the tree, so I'm inclined to change my plans to suit that. The actual boss battle is going to be against the traitorous Nurgle-empowered master and Nurgle thralls (I was thinking bodies kept upright and animated by swarms of maggots within them, probably using the Nurgling profile), but he could just as well be guarding the fucked-up Nurgle tree as the gathered psykers. It serves as a good heart for the heartbeat, like you say.

They need a key to access the upstairs? Plan for them to bypass the spooky basement by vaporizing the lock~

I wouldn't be afraid to include elements that are spooky but not Nurglish. Even with a greater demon of Nurgle in charge, 100 psykers all exploding in a small area is sure to cause some general mayhem. Hell, maybe a demon of Tzeench is helping the party from behind the scenes, to get back at a rival.

Yeah - I might need to make it a psychic barrier that can be disrupted by some holy icon in the Pit, or something. Depends on the armament they're packing when they go in. If they come up with some really creative way to bypass that, though, I ain't stopping it. I'd just need some way to work that stuff in some other way. Or leave it for another adventure, but we play Dark Heresy so rarely I'd rather not.

True enough. I don't think I want to add another daemon into the mix, but there's room for non-Nurglish phenomena. I just don't want to confuse the picture too much, so they can clue into the fact that they're dealing with a manifestation of Nurgle in particular.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 778 779 [780] 781 782 ... 824