Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944484 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11715 on: September 01, 2019, 05:38:49 am »

The harder part than the name or the color scheme is giving them a personality.....

You end up going to lengths like the Death Specters chapter.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11716 on: September 01, 2019, 09:09:08 am »

So, today I learned that back in Rogue Trader days, GW was even more creatively bankrupt.
How bankrupt?
There is a Space Marine chapter from then named the Dark Brotherhood.

Yeah.
Eeeh, I'm pretty sure those Marines were all cool-ass dudes drinking beer and hugging ladies to victory, while sporting a very colorful hilarious paint scheme... or not so colorful one, but I'm still pretty sure they were pretty cool dudes.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: September 01, 2019, 09:06:38 pm »

I played another game with my brother today, using the new stalker I added to my army, and I've been wondering if I was using it correctly.  The rules say it gets +1 to hit anything that can Fly, which most of his tau models could do.  That made it extremely effective, getting 6 S7 AP -1 shots that did 2 damage and hit on 2s, but it feels kind of wrong for it to get that bonus if they were just standing there and shooting at me.

Is that right?  Just because the can fly, I get +1 to hit them?  Even if they didn't?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: September 01, 2019, 09:55:38 pm »

I played another game with my brother today, using the new stalker I added to my army, and I've been wondering if I was using it correctly.  The rules say it gets +1 to hit anything that can Fly, which most of his tau models could do.  That made it extremely effective, getting 6 S7 AP -1 shots that did 2 damage and hit on 2s, but it feels kind of wrong for it to get that bonus if they were just standing there and shooting at me.

Is that right?  Just because the can fly, I get +1 to hit them?  Even if they didn't?

Fly Keyword is always on. You always get those bonuses, and those penalties.
 Every army has a weakpoint or two . Tau's is Anti-Fly and Poisoned Weapons. And Psychic. And Morale

Okay, they have a decent amount of weaknesses, but there REALLY FRACKING good at what they're good at.

Also, they were standing still and not engaging in glorious melee. They deserve to suffer.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: September 02, 2019, 12:12:44 am »

I was just standing and shooting too, so I'm honestly surprised I've won half of the games I've played against him.  Especially considering I had points tied up in terminators that weren't making use of their power fists.  I really should have teleported them behind his riptide and punched its feet off, but always chicken out at the idea of losing a turn of shooting from them by keeping them in deep strike.  For all the good a turn of shooting does from them, it's almost certainly worth it to instead charge a vehicle from an advantageous starting point.

I'm sure he'd win more games if we were playing actual missions instead of just playing to annihilation.  He actually has some troops choices in his army and a few of his models have excellent movement.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11720 on: September 02, 2019, 02:11:40 pm »

If you're worried about not capitalising on shooting effectively, you could always give them thunder hammers and storm shields. Then they'd really make vehicles cry- if they reach.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: September 02, 2019, 02:28:28 pm »

I've always built shooting armies, since I like to pretend I have an ideological opposition to the idea of punching enemies when my soldiers carry .75 RPG assault rifles, but I do recognize that marines really are better suited to a mix of shooting and melee than pure shooting.  Accordingly, assault terminators would usually be a better choice, so you're not wrong.  I've seen what thunder hammer captains can do...

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: September 02, 2019, 04:51:24 pm »

I've always built shooting armies, since I like to pretend I have an ideological opposition to the idea of punching enemies when my soldiers carry .75 RPG assault rifles, but I do recognize that marines really are better suited to a mix of shooting and melee than pure shooting.  Accordingly, assault terminators would usually be a better choice, so you're not wrong.  I've seen what thunder hammer captains can do...

“Commander, our Blood Angels allies are blaring battle music at obscene levels.”
“What song Battle Brother?”
“Space Jam Sir.”
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: September 02, 2019, 05:02:02 pm »

THIIINGS SHAAAL GET LOUUUD NOOOOW
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: September 02, 2019, 07:30:01 pm »

hunh, incorrect thread.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: September 02, 2019, 11:38:07 pm »

The main issue I have with SB/PF terminators is that they provide mass anti-infantry fire. Which is kind of what all of your troops slots should be doing anyway. That's not to say that there isn't always something on the board where you'd go 'If only I had twenty more boltgun shots' but more that by the time you're up to shooting with the Terminators most things should have fulfilled their role adequately already.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: September 02, 2019, 11:52:49 pm »

That's been my experience so far, more or less.  Even tossing in an assault cannon doesn't seem to be as effective as you'd think, and for the points you can generally field another devastator squad with longer ranged and stronger weapons.  Even their survivability is suspect in this edition.  Teleportation is really their major advantage, but for a few points you can deep strike most other troops, so even that is suspect.

For the points I should probably just field another devastator squad or predator.

Or another dreadnought.  I'm not super sure I was playing by the rules, since I had to rely on Battlescribe to inform me of the point values for the autocannon arms, which also claimed that venerable dreadnoughts could take the option, but a venerable dreadnought with two twin autocannon arms plus a techmarine was a real MVP in my last game.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: September 05, 2019, 03:08:55 pm »

I'm hopefully going to be running my D&D group through a one shot set on Furia* from Black Crusade soon.

Core idea is they'll be one of the family units native to the world struggling to survive on one of the floating scrap towns when a dying man in diving gear crawls out of the ocean near their shack dragging a chest containing armour and weapons (their starting gear, since Furia is normally a place where a rusty autogun is a great prize) and a device that promises a way off the hellish ocean world.

Unsurprisingly the promise of getting away from Furia is enough temptation for the locals that lots of them will be willing to fight to the death for such a potential prize, and the malevolent leviathans that rule the oceans are unlikely to let anyone leave without some intervention.

So the idea for immediate problems is other locals in the scrap town, rivals for space and resources trying to steal the gear and possibly the ruler of the scrap town itself, who may decide he'd prefer not to share the device. Implied future problems that likely won't come up are pirates and the leviathans themselves.

*Furia is a planet in the Screaming Vortex that is implied to have no land anywhere on or in it. It's water all the way down and beyond, the deepest reaches of the ocean being some kind of warp distorted space. The locals live on shanty towns built from the floating wrecks of starships that drift up from the depths of the ocean, having been sucked in to the warp and deposited into Furia's oceans. The humans survive only by the grace of the leviathans, huge warp tainted monsters who rule the water and can drag entire towns into the ocean. They are sapient and much smarter than humans but don't directly interact with people except to kill them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11728 on: September 05, 2019, 03:54:27 pm »

Core idea is they'll be one of the family units native to the world struggling to survive on one of the floating scrap towns when a dying man in diving gear crawls out of the ocean near their shack dragging a chest containing armour and weapons (their starting gear, since Furia is normally a place where a rusty autogun is a great prize) and a device that promises a way off the hellish ocean world.
Is he Billy Bones? Sci-Fi Billy Bones perhaps?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: September 05, 2019, 04:08:43 pm »

Is he Billy Bones? Sci-Fi Billy Bones perhaps?

*GASP* How did you see through me carefully stealing from treasure island? I hid it so well!

But yeah, it just seemed like a simple way to get them started without needing to explain why they aren't using rusty knives like everyone else on Furia.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 824