Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944652 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

what if we built an astronomicon that wasnt corpse powered?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Technically, everything is corpse powered. But yeah that or its some kind of cerebrate/overmind thing.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Tyranids shouldn't need anything like the Astronomicon, right?  Unless it's supposed to be a beacon for the rest of the tyranid hive fleets supposed to still be out in intergalactic space and looking for something to eat.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The purpose of the Tiamet bio-building is unknown. In part due to the fact it only became a thing with the addition of new canon fleets in 8th edition.

If I recall correctly Deathwatch space marines and Craftworld eldar scouts both managed to make planetfall before having to evacuate. Psykers suffered massive anuerysms from the concentrated shadow in the warp present in the system and it was generally decided that whatever it's doing is bad news. But since Tiamet has the system fortified to hell and isn't actively devouring everything the way fleets normally do it's on a lower priority than the ones that are still actively out hunting planets.

It might be a device to project the shadow in the warp to cover the whole galaxy, it might be a beacon, it might be a weapon. It's mostly a plot hook.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Tyranids shouldn't need anything like the Astronomicon, right?  Unless it's supposed to be a beacon for the rest of the tyranid hive fleets supposed to still be out in intergalactic space and looking for something to eat.

Tyranids are in an exclusive club alongside Necrons of “Races that have access to Non-Warp FTL. (Technically the Mechanicus has it too but it’s extremely rare so they don’t use it, and theres probably some Ork out there that has something funky, but it’s mostly those two)

They use a Gravity-Based drive if I remember correctly, that doesn’t appear to need any sort of reference point. It’s probably to attract other Tyranids. Although since all Tyranid are part of the Hive Mind they should already know we’re here. *Shrug*
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its genestealers and narwals. The narwals are special bioships called like that because their special sensors in front of the ship. They are capable of creating somekind of alcuberre drive bubble somehow harnesing the target star (or star system) gravity. They are atracted to mature genestealer cults. The grav perturbations tend to generate quakes on the worlds of the system aiding in the "predigestion" I guess.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I prefer my biomass shaken, not stirred.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

What if the Tyranids are actually just giant nerds who are too afraid to talk to human girls, so they devour the entire universe instead?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile

Let's chop the nose off of a nid ship and then reverse engineer the mechanism so that we have an FTL means which doesn't eat us. We can use it for more reliable shipping and get rich off of trade, and when the inquisition and mechanics get pissy about it they can't do shit because we just run away from them until they roll a nat 1 and get ripped into hell or worse.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

This is the first I've heard of the Adeptus Mechanicus having any FTL tech that didn't require the Warp.  I can believe it's ancient archaeotech they'd never let anyony play with, ever, but it's still surprising since it would imply humanity invented this tech way back before the Age of Strife and wouldn't have become isolated by the warp storms.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile

I think one of their ships can freeze time and has a gun that rapid-fires black holes. Lostech means magic. ;p
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If memory serves such technology was developed but warp tech was always more powerful as in longer range and faster speed, also I guess more widespread, all on the basis of being a more mature tech.

Kinda like buying an hidrogen car today. If somehow gasoline, diesel and oil in general dissapeared tomorrow alongside battery electric cars and only hidrogen ones were avaiable it probably mean hidrogen cars would stop working soon after as the whole infrastructure for them to work would collapse, along the whole global economy, reverting back to millions of local economies.

Add deamons and foul xenos randomly appearing and rapEating people and you got yourself an age of strife.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 04:56:26 pm by LordBaal »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

That's the Speranza, and it still uses warp drives - the difference is that it doesn't need a navigator, because the "machine spirit" of the ship is in fact a true AI.

Warp cogitators are a known technology, but they can't be used for long jumps as the resources needed increase exponentially. Breaking that requires something capable of intuitive leaps of logic, and so either a navigator or an AI.

Time travel is a warp-manipulation technology, with currents in the warp going backwards and forwards in time constantly. The Speranza just knows how to use those currents.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile

And navigators don't? Man, meatbags suck.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahh that. Isnt that the ship that makes the target go backwards in time so it doesnt miss one of its black holes shoots or something like that.

Navigator-less ships are still common btw (bet actually the most common type of ship in my head canon) because not everyone can have access to navigators.

Picture in the above scenario a few individuals with access to working 30tons trucks, while the rest of us employ horses or camels to do trade.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:20:45 pm by LordBaal »
Pages: 1 ... 788 789 [790] 791 792 ... 824