Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 953833 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

The Speranza also literally has a full STC catalogue.

All of them.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

But the cog boys dont know rigth?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

So, why hasn't the Imperium started using that STC catalog to start building more of these ships or advanced technology?  Do they not realize it has the data, or is the ship's AI keeping it from them for some reason?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

The story in question ends with the AI erasing knowledge of the STC database from the Magos who had interfaced with it, as a matter of self-preservation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Emperor damn, that's grimdark even for 40k.  Way to dangle that laurel.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's chop the nose off of a nid ship and then reverse engineer the mechanism so that we have an FTL means which doesn't eat us. We can use it for more reliable shipping and get rich off of trade, and when the inquisition and mechanics get pissy about it they can't do shit because we just run away from them until they roll a nat 1 and get ripped into hell or worse.

Narvhal gravity tunnel travel is really slow by FTL standards fortunately.

The Narvhal has tentacles on it's front that can detect and manipulate gravity at extreme distances, making a highway towards a system by doing something with the gravity of the system, but as they get close to their target they get too much interference from other gravitational bodies and can't use that method for the final stages. Upside is the gravity corridor messes up the target's gravity and causes various natural disasters.

As I recall this results in 'nids dropping out of FTL way before any other race does and then spending years or decades on their final approach.

Emperor damn, that's grimdark even for 40k.  Way to dangle that laurel.

There's also supposed to be an intact complete STC on a world within the boundaries of the Eye of Terror. The Mechanicus has a few Forge Worlds devoted to trying to get it, but so far everyone they send dies.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

This is the first I've heard of the Adeptus Mechanicus having any FTL tech that didn't require the Warp.  I can believe it's ancient archaeotech they'd never let anyony play with, ever, but it's still surprising since it would imply humanity invented this tech way back before the Age of Strife and wouldn't have become isolated by the warp storms.

I seem to recall a couple of Instances where the Mechanicus is teleportation that’s not Warp-Based. Like Armageddon, and the “Motive Force” jumpers.

And Orks have been described as stealing Dolmen gates before.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I suppose you could technically say Eldar don’t use Warp Travel, but they also technically do. It’s just they travel through the Gated Community of the warp instead of the Slum like the rest of us.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 03:36:43 pm by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It's like if you have an open air courtyard, with a breezeway with walls and a roof running through it. And there's acid rain pouring down.

The Eldar use the breezeway.

The Imperium puts on a hazmat suit and walks through the open and hopes for the best.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile

Because by the emperor, we're not going to waste time walking around the square rather than cutting through it.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Well the Emperor wanted a breezeway for humans.  He worked so hard on the Human Breezeway Project that his kids felt neglected and started a civil war for attention.

Humanity could probably use the Eldar breezeway but the two group hate each other for uh
reasons
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile

because we started the FUCK ELVES meme as a joke but then got a little carried away

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

because we started the FUCK ELVES meme as a joke but then got a little carried away

And then Guilliman , being the out of touch old man he is, woke up and took the meme literally.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Eldar are predisposed to hate humans due to a combination of their culture and their biology. Eldar culture, in all it's iterations, is supremacist and isolationist, non-Eldar are only able to interact with it as inferiors and the Eldar would cheerfully watch everyone else die if it saved one of their own lives. Inter-species empathy is not something they encourage as a society, nor is clear communication or compromise.

Eldar also find humans, and most other species, physically repellant to the point we make them want to vomit. We smell like animal waste, move like drunken apes, speak like cavemen, are little more than beasts to their psychic senses. To the Eldar we are a parody of their own form, scarcely better than Orks. Similarly humans find them creepy to look at, their bodies move wrong, their eyes are emotionless and have unnatural colours, their faces angular and sharp where ours are rounded. In the novels they and their architecture have a lovecraftian vibe to them.

On top of that humans settled on some of their old colonies from before the Fall, which the Eldar see as humans squatting like ghouls in a cemetary. It's insulting to the point that they have been known to exterminate such planets when they can do so without major repurcussions.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Yes, the "delightful" part of 40k Imperium / Eldar politics is that neither even would piss on the other to put them out if they were on fire. They would only pee on each other if they were both on fire.

Although lately it seems like the sometimes Eldar have moved toward the "bulwark against Chaos" perspective on humanity where it doesn't cost them too much to participate. But's largely just to have a plot most of the time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:29:40 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile

or if they really needed to pee
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 824