Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 953380 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11880 on: November 17, 2020, 12:19:28 pm »

So I've finished the standard bearer that goes with the captain I posted earlier. Like the captain it's painted in the colours of the Sword Brethren, the veterans of the Black Templars chapter, roughly analogous to the 1st Company of normal Chapters.

For the moment I've left off the maltese cross on the shoulder pad and left the tilting plate blank, I'm undecided as yet on whether to try and find some transfers for the cross or paint it by hand and I'm blanking on heraldry to put on the plate.

Next up on my to-do list is the actual Bladeguard I have, basically just Primaris Veteran Marines with power swords and storm shields. Sort of like a cheaper equivalent to Terminators. They should look pretty nice as Black Templars, and they fit the chapter theme to a T.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11882 on: November 20, 2020, 02:03:32 pm »

The Bladeguard are reminding me why I dislike many push assembly models. Figuring out which bits will be impractical to attach after painting is hard to do in advance, and it's resulted in me snapping the rod that holds ones sword arm on. The arm glued on fine, but it'll be more fragile in future. Fortunately now I know that particular arm is problematic I can attach it to the others before painting and work around the awkwardness of sub-assembly painting.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11883 on: November 20, 2020, 03:20:09 pm »

This is probably one of my favorite threads in the whole internet.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11884 on: November 27, 2020, 11:03:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My attention got diverted from my bladeguard to a chaplain and a lieutenant.

Black Templars lieutenants* would most likely hold the BTs specific rank of Castellan. Castellans are subordinate to the Marshals who lead individual Crusade fleets, usually tasked with command over a chapter keep on one of the Templar's recruiting worlds or lead one of the fighting companies dispatched from the Crusade to perform duties that the Marshal cannot personally lead.

I'm unlikely to have much use for a lieutenant, they're essentially a weaker captain with a different buffing aura, but it's a decent model that's compatible with shoulderpads from other kits so I thought it would be a nice diversion from the more complicated kits.

*Lieutenants are technically a revival of a unit from before I started playing 40k, last used sometime around 3rd edition I think, before being removed from future versions of the space marine faction. They got brought back for 8th edition with the introduction of the primaris marines, but you can field firstborn marine lieutenants.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11885 on: November 29, 2020, 06:12:57 am »

My little edgelord templars can't be this cute

They're like concentrated balls of unreasonableness that's been weaponized for melee combat

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11886 on: December 05, 2020, 08:14:29 pm »

Spoiler: Gravis Captain (click to show/hide)

So I painted up a gravis captain to be the Marshal for my Black Templars. Taking a lead from High Marshal Helbrecht I decided not to give him Sword Brother colours, instead using the normal chapter badge with gold trim. Thinking of calling him Adelric or Kasimir, haven't decided which yet. I think of him as a veteran templar who was upgraded into a primaris marine after years of service prior to the Indomitus Crusade rather than someone who was created as a primaris.

Gravis captains are sort of like terminator captains, more durable than normal power armour, but with +1 to toughness instead of a 2+ armour save. They also have an extra wound and attack compared to terminator captains due to being primaris. Since relics can give a captain a 2+ save without needing terminator armour, I think the extra toughness is preferable.

Originally I planned for the captain I posted earlier, with the relic shield, to be my marshal. Unfortunately the shield is actually kind of meh for Black Templars. Captains innately have an invulnerable save equal to the shield, and Black Templars have a 5+ save against mortal wounds, which makes the shield's 4+ against mortal wounds not that great a deal. The shield does also give +1 to armour saves, but there's better ways to get a 2+ save.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 08:19:11 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11887 on: December 06, 2020, 03:19:27 pm »

That's a sexy mini base

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11888 on: December 06, 2020, 05:23:30 pm »

Got the base as a freebie when I bought some pointy hooded heads from tabletop-art a while back. Was going to turn some Victrix Gauls into Mordheim-esque cultists. Or Spanish Catholic-esque Ecclesiarchal fanatics.

Don't usually look at bases much when I'm looking for bits, but their sanctuary ruins bases do look very appropriate for BTs and Sisters. Much pricier than GW bases though, so I'll stick with Imperialis bases or flocking/sand based bases.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 05:26:29 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11889 on: December 25, 2020, 01:21:34 pm »

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/25/christmas-preview-hedonites-habits-and-hekatarii/?fbclid=IwAR20MWqTDwjaADdC1frUBVLMk2czfFBho0XNmVCBYnF1ipmyF_sYdHiM0Sw

So Lelith Hesperax, the DE Wych character, is getting a new model. It's basically the same one as her old model but reposed, with more hair and made out of plastic instead of resin or metal.

There's a new SoB HQ, but I don't know enough about sisters to make many comments on her. Good detail, but I would sort of like a bit more ostentatious decorations.

More importantly (to me as a Chaos and especially Beastmen fan) there's a range of Slaaneshi models for AoS coming out sometime in the new year, inluding Slaangors, which brings us up to two marked beastmen being part of the GW range which hasn't included them since well before I joined the hobby over a decade ago. Also some new Exalted Seekers of Slaanesh which are substantially more... sensual I suppose is the best word, than the older seeker models. Really good scultps all around really, sensual, sleek, androgynous and borderline erotic while still being somewhat disturbing.

Although how they get beastmen into skin tight leggings is a question that may never be answered.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11890 on: December 27, 2020, 03:26:40 pm »

*EDIT
I fucked up my quote lmao

I like my happy hopeful blueberries. Of all the minor xenos, which would you like to see given more canonical presence? With the much larger hive nearby Terra, or any number of the smaller xenos who've experienced continual pushback from the IoM and might have a rennaissance with the great weaknening of the Imperium, or any number of blueberry auxiliaries, there's loadsa material

Although how they get beastmen into skin tight leggings is a question that may never be answered.
You ever seen Bear Grylls wearing a sealskin?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 03:29:34 pm by Loud Whispers »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11891 on: December 27, 2020, 05:30:23 pm »

Of all the minor xenos, which would you like to see given more canonical presence?

Sisters of Battle

But like no seriously, publish a codex for them more often than every four editions.  We used to meme on dark eldar for having no codexes but look at them now.  Marines of both goodguy and chaos flavors get codexes for every vaguely interesting chapter. Most interesting thing to happen to them recently was being murdered by grey knights for no logical reason.

They even got the short end of the stick in Dawn of War, having a tiny unit list and the worst voice acting.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11893 on: December 27, 2020, 10:02:50 pm »

Of all the minor xenos, which would you like to see given more canonical presence?

Orks. Biased though i may be, what with playing them, they've done very little with them really. Hell, even the New Ghazzy model wasn't really part of a new storyline really. I'd love if they had Armageddon Part 3 4. New Yarrick and Guard, vs Orks, vs New World Eaters. Would love for them to come out as an unexpected threat and slam into an already existing batte.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11894 on: December 28, 2020, 07:46:24 am »

I always thought orks were the most important xenos in 40k already, they've straight up already won
Pages: 1 ... 791 792 [793] 794 795 ... 824