Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 951829 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11910 on: December 30, 2020, 04:11:55 pm »

On the note of Oldhammer, I find myself wanting to convert some Chaos Androids and maybe a Chaos Squat.

Necron warriors are an obvious place to start for the androids, being based on them visually, but the AoS Mortek Guard would work too, though some of the more organic looking bits might need trimmed off.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11911 on: December 30, 2020, 08:37:43 pm »

Dan Abnett used to be beloved, though he's made some recent decisions which are... not great is a light way of putting it. Like in Saturnine. PARTICULARLY in Saturnine
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11912 on: December 30, 2020, 11:13:47 pm »

Well, Chiapas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM never let you down, and there is at least one audio book that I know off. It strike the rigth balance between grimdark and entretaiment.

Ciaphas Cain novels were the best WH40k series I read. I think I read one of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels too; was that the one with a Catachan unit? I didn't especially like the Catachan one but it didn't strike me as bad either. Their catchprase is nicely meme too, I heard someone say it in Metro Exodus.

I also read some short story anthologies that were decent but I can't remember the name. One had a retiring guardsman from a desert planet on some sort of riding beast with some kind of lance.
Spoiler: How it ends (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:18:51 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11913 on: December 31, 2020, 06:16:24 am »

Gaunt's Ghosts were the Tanith 1st and Only ones, featuring a whole bunch of unique guardsmen regiments like the Vitruvians or Vervunhivers. GG is basically a WWI drama in space dialled up to 40k scale and it's just an absolute treat to read

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: December 31, 2020, 07:09:14 am »

I usually see it described as 'Sharpe in space,' which is a pretty honest summation to be frank.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: January 05, 2021, 09:57:47 pm »

Spoiler: My Chaos Android (click to show/hide)

So I did decide to take a break from my Black Templars. Was starting to feel a bit burnt out with them.

Instead I decided to throw together a simple Chaos Android inspired by the boxed game Space Crusade, which is older than me.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11916 on: January 05, 2021, 11:22:59 pm »

Were these from Rogue Trader or some early edition of 40K?  I guess there are only so many ways you can do "skeletal robot," but the resemblance to the necrons is pretty striking.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: January 06, 2021, 08:42:46 am »

Space Crusade was released 1990, a few years before 40k's 2nd edition and the major fluff shakeups that started at the time.

The first Necrons were released 1998 and are generally considered to have taken up the thematic niche of the Androids, but the Androids were so minor, appearing only in a board game and one white dwarf article, that they were basically non-canon anyway.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11918 on: January 08, 2021, 07:43:28 am »

Men of iron, silver and gold made them re-canon again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11919 on: January 08, 2021, 12:23:27 pm »

Men of iron, silver and gold made them re-canon again

Different concepts. The Men of X are Dark Age constructs that resemble other Imperial robots and had true AI, the Chaos Androids were post-Heresy* era daemon engines shaped like humanoid skeletons but aren't what we would really call robots.

*Well the version of the Heresy from Rogue Trader anyway.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: January 08, 2021, 12:45:06 pm »

They had a DI (demoniac intelligence) lol....
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: January 09, 2021, 08:32:47 pm »

Spoiler: Front view (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Back view (click to show/hide)

So I got given this guy with some paint and brushes over christmas, and because I'm still really not feeling like painting my Black Templars, I decided to bump him to my main project.

Was originally going to have the cloth and leather be all white and/or brown, but red calls to me as an easy colour to use that complements white well, so here we are.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: January 09, 2021, 08:34:20 pm »

May the Sigmarines protect us always
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11923 on: February 02, 2021, 04:31:14 pm »

I've been thinking, is Battletech the only warminis game still using pewter?

I know Warhammer phased it out over the last like decade or so.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: February 02, 2021, 06:48:20 pm »

It's still common among smaller games and many historical miniature games, and especially among small scale production items like characters. A lot have shifted to resin, and a smaller number have shifted to plastic but there's still a lot of pewter minis around. It's often not used for new sculpts, but lots of companies still make minis that are decades old and still cast in metal.

A good example would be Perry Miniatures. They've been in the business for a long time, and still make miniatures in all three mediums.

Games Workshop was able to phase over to full plastic production after a rocky experiment with resin because they're big enough to handle the rather expensive set up costs for plastics, lots of companies can't afford the overheads involved and have stuck with traditional casting methods.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 824