Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 951272 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

https://youtu.be/OXljeaktnDA

Thus Ends an Era.

You know. For a couple years there I almost thought GW might actually be turning over a new leaf. Or at least, getting better.

Nope.

Godspeed Alfabusa. May your talents carry you far.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile

https://youtu.be/OXljeaktnDA

Thus Ends an Era.

You know. For a couple years there I almost thought GW might actually be turning over a new leaf. Or at least, getting better.

Nope.

Godspeed Alfabusa. May your talents carry you far.
What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Why?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

This is a sad day. GW really is clamping down on anything resembling fun. Let's see if their own official works can measure up then.

... I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

I saw they fucked over a guy that was making 3d printable figurines on a kickstarter because they feel like 40k. In style. The guy made arguably original work, since those weren't a copy of anything made by them, but still.

They migth be realizing a lot of things and responding in the worst, most stupid and blanket way, as usual.

To imagine that things like Astartes give circles around the crap they make should have them improving and reaching out to those artists instead of being all butthurt jerks suing people to oblivion...

Time for everyone to download their favorite fan animations from youtube or whatever, those videos could evaporate very quickly from "existence".
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

They saw the mad money streaming services are making and wanted in on the action. Trouble is, they never really made anything that even approached the quality levels of most fan-stuff. So what they did is introduce a zero tolerance policy for animation to stop any and all fan-stuff from competing with what they put on their service.

Makes sense from a business side of things, eliminate competition, ensure a monopoly. Except it's also a monumentally idiotic move in that it kills the majority of fan-made stuff, which, if you have any sort of common sense means that you just killed most of your organic growth, made enemies of most of your hardcore fans and squandered any goodwill you might've made over the years. And even if they walk it all back (which is doubtful) people will still not trust them because that bridge has been fucked and burned well into the ground.

I kinda drifted off of 40k over the years (mostly due to lack of decent games in the setting) and the only thing that's still kinda keeping my interest is TW:WH, but shit like this just makes sure there's no chance of getting back into it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also super idiotic on the fact that only takes a single guy with an account (paying a single month is more than enough) to pirate their entire catalog and release it online. If mighty and so-powerful-I-change-laws Disney cant do anything about all their + stuff being online hours after release, then GW can't do anything either.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GW really is clamping down on anything resembling fun.

Is the goal here for us to guess which decade you're referring to? Because I can think of several that fit that statement.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Yknow I find the practice of clamping down on any and all fan content despicable. I can at least understand the logic behind stopping animations whilst centralizing your own streaming service with NEW animations... but the odds that GW puts out anything approaching the quality of said fan animations... well... it's low, very low. GW is not media-savvy, they just aren't.

TW:WH was a fluke for them I think. Ye Olde Relic only even got a shot at Space Marine because they nailed DoW. Let's not even get into the Ultramarines movie.

At the end of the day GW possess no real capacity to produce film and television content. Hiring a few fan animators is... probably not enough. I have read that there IS allegedly an in-house animation team, but even if that is true... the experience and personnel required to pull off some of the series ideas I'm reading (as I write this*), I can't imagine they've got the time, money, or talent.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

I've noticed a few self-proclaimed GW "refugees" on the Battletech subreddit.

Speaking of wh40k youtubes, I've liked the "Codex Compliant" show, where they flip through old Warhammer books and see what's evolved over the years.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I think GWS are just slow to adopt to the way the world has changed since their heyday. They always seem late to the obvious. Video games, digital distribution of products, fan engagement. But also appreciate that there's like, an entire industry infrastructure they built up and that went into decline. They held on to and continue to prop up their physical game stores, tournaments, print magazines and such for way longer than I think anyone imagined they could, rather than investing energy into trying to take advantage of the internet or understand it. So I guess I'm still not surprised that they still litigate like it's the 80s, and clamp down on fan creations with the same seriousness they do, I dunno, people making casts of their models and trying to sell them in their own hobby stores for a fraction of the price. There's still an older mindset trying to decide how to handle things now. And maybe these channels getting shut down are part of some kind of arrangement, who knows. "Can't work for us and maintain your own channel of stuff possibly infringing on something non-GWS related."

GWS has just never had to care about optics before, and now that they do, all they've really learned so far is add some verbiage about how much fans mean to them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They will crash and burn, yet again.
I migth want to add that Total Warhammer was not a fluke, but a wild success... dunno how much money they saw from it but I guess is a lot.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

https://www.networthspot.com/total-war/net-worth/

Someone should tell these guys that writing out "millions" as $127.7 thousands is stupid and makes them look stupid.

But yes. Earlier Total Warhammer games have sold upwards of half a million copies in just three days. So I think it's safe to assume Total Warhammer 2 has probably sold millions of units by now, which makes it a bona fide success and not just a fluke. I think the truth is that GWS-licensed games succeed despite, rather than due to, the involvement of GWS. It's not like people actually NEED their expertise in Lore issues much these days.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I think what was meant as a fluke was the game succeeding like it did, especially when it was based on a setting they pretty much took a hatchet to a few years prior.

Their data suggested that WHFB was dead and the games selling like hotcakes did nothing to change their minds, or rather, since they'd burned the setting and salted the earth for good measure, the PC game couldn't really bring new people into the hobby as they'd come in looking for a version of they just played and find shit like sigmarines waiting for them.

Except now the spark has made the lengthy journey from their ass to their brains and they're trying to resurrect the setting in some form. Not sure how well it'll work out for them since people like to get burned only so many times (and seeing their current actions is not going to make anyone give them the benefit of the doubt anymore imo)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

Yes I meant the success of the game was unexpected and irregular, not that it wasnt successful--TW:WH/2/3 are good<->great games
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

"Sigmarines"

Are they really called that

Are they even marine
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 824