Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 952296 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K discussion thread: TTS is dead: so long, and thanks for all the bolters.
« Reply #12015 on: October 31, 2021, 06:11:02 pm »

The champion is famously low on adornment for a space marine, especially a black templar. Other than the golden laurel wreath all iterations of the Armour of Faith bears they actually have less ornamentation than any random initiate is likely to have.

He lets the sword do the talking.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: WH40K discussion thread: TTS is dead: so long, and thanks for all the bolters.
« Reply #12016 on: November 01, 2021, 05:33:04 am »

Or it lets you add your own trophy bits

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12017 on: November 03, 2021, 08:24:31 pm »

Following up on my renewed vigour for the BTs, I have painted a techmarine.

Spoiler: Front (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Side (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Back (click to show/hide)

Mostly got this guy to round out my list of possible HQs rather than because I have any specific army lists that will include him, though I do have two redemptor dreadnoughts that would benefit from him if I ever choose to field them instead of bladeguard.

Codex compliant chapters tend to go full red armour with one chapter coloured shoulderpad and kneepad for their techmarines, I figured the BTs are going to look dimly on such practices much like they look dimly on the Codex Astartes itself, and so reversed that to one shoulderpad and kneepad in Mechanicus colours with the rest being chapter colours.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: November 03, 2021, 08:30:06 pm »

*looks glumly at the company+ of BT mechs that sit assembled but unpainted*
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12019 on: November 03, 2021, 08:34:14 pm »

engage the linkage, omnisiiah
our victory comes online

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12020 on: November 03, 2021, 09:46:22 pm »

It's a funny (and reasonable) difference that WH40K focuses on infantry and vehicles rather than, say, Imperial Knights.  I respect that.

I also like that it makes the stupid "who would win, star trek vs star wars" style arguments particularly silly for 40K vs BT.  Obviously BT would win, except the warp exists, so 40K would win.  done and dusted and boring

Though it is a neat parallel that the xenophobic and traditional Clanners did a better job preserving technology than the Imperium.  Both seek to preserve old technology at all costs, particularly sacrificing lives to preserve tech.  The Clanners just did it better than the self-destructive Inner Sphere houses, while the Imperium didn't have the luxury of crafting a new society in a safe frontier.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: November 03, 2021, 09:51:38 pm »

just don't lose tech lol

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: November 03, 2021, 09:55:57 pm »

Look, I'm not saying the Brotherhood of Steel could defeat the Imperium of Man.  Except-
[1/27]
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: November 03, 2021, 11:07:38 pm »

Last BT game I did involved infantry platoons... and I don't think either of us got the rules right.

Clanner Elemental vs Space Marine would be a vaguely equivalent match up, though elementals are still limited by being mostly human.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: November 03, 2021, 11:15:28 pm »

Vaguely, yeah... both are transhuman, and both have advanced powered armor suits.  I would instinctually agree that the Astartes have far more genemodding (and bio-grafting!!), while the Clanners have more advanced suits.

But maybe I just want things to be interesting, heh.  And in any case, we've seen what happens when the honor-bound Clanners fight against an enemy willing to do *anything* to win.  The Imperium would lie and gun down their most elite warriors from a distance - artillery or space.  The clans would commit their very best to a ground battle, only to get exterminatus'd.

But then we get into naval combat and I don't know where to even start with that.
She/they

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12025 on: November 04, 2021, 12:15:22 am »

Naval (assuming you mean space) warfare isn't that much a thing in BT.  Proper warships are very rare, they don't get built but there may-or-may-not be some still out there.  Hyper space drives are generally lost tech (possibly in-universe deliberately so) and so surviving drives are run by third party, you pay for passage to dock your dropship or whatever and it gets carried by the warp-capable jumpship.  New warships can't warp on their own and would be too big to dock on the jumpship.  Essentially pissing off the jumpships means no jumps for you so I guess nobody does that.

Also about exterminatus, nukes were banned fairly long ago via a treaty, the Ares Convention, more-or-less because planets would be fought over so much they'd end up uselessly glassed by nuclear bombardment by somebody.  Same treaty is why in-universe why most invasions are basically decided by *a* battle between a handful of mechs.  Point was to limit civilian casualties but had the unfortunate downside of making war "inexpensive" and common.  Nukes would be thrown later in the 3070's because the writers needed to connect BT to the 'clix game that was set in 3100-ish, but that's another story.

Mostly space fighting is done via fighter-sized craft, or whatever weapons you could mount on the dropship (usually mech-scale defenses for use when landed).  Such aerospace craft function in space or in atmos, though "flight" is honestly usually achieved by a lot of thrust.  Weapons are basically mech-scale, though they can carry bombs in atmos.  But there's no proper battleships like in warhammer.

Clanners respect their aerospace pilots almost as much as their mech pilots (almost).
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: November 05, 2021, 05:23:17 am »

WH40K merch is going places these days.

Spoiler: Dear god why. (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12027 on: November 05, 2021, 05:44:43 am »

Nurgle's line is selling surprisingly well....
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: November 05, 2021, 10:00:19 am »

WH40K merch is going places these days.

Spoiler: Dear god why. (click to show/hide)

The Licensing Crusade continues apace.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12029 on: November 05, 2021, 11:48:29 am »

Dramatis Personae
Kevin D. Rountree
Executive #1
Executive #2
Executive #3

The scene is an oak-lined board room with a giant black surfaced conference table. There are windows that overlooks the horrible Stormcast Eternal statue outside.

Kevin D. Rountree: we need a new idea for our next line of products.

Executive #1: Hmmmm. Let's think about possibly going with another videogame, Storm of Vengance was too cool.

Executive #3: We could make an official Chapter Mast....

Kevin: Nah! Our customers don't want that.

Executive #1: How about brooms? Could we introduce broom-flying witches to Age of Sigmar and sell those to people?

Kevin: Brilliant! But let's save some of our better ideas like that for next quarter. We don't want to give away all of the goodness at once.

Executives #1-3: Agreed!

Kevin: I'm thinking of something more... shall we say... smelly.

Executive #1: How about lavender scented floor cleaners? Everyone loves lavender!

Executive #2: How about pine smell?

Executive #3: (with a distant look) That smell is delicious!

Executive #1: Lavender or pine?

Executive #3: Lavender or pine, what?

Executive #2: You just said "That smell is delicious!" but it was unclear if your reference was to lavender or the pine.

Executive #1: Yeah.

Kevin: Executives, please! We're beginning to lose focus! Here's what I'm thinking. You know how Warhammer 40k references to all sort of smells in the lore? Well here's what we do. We put out a line of regular scented candles with outrageous names.

Executive #1: I like where you're going with this, sir.

Kevin: On top of that we can make it really expensive so that--

Executive #3: So that it's something that our fans would buy without any thought.

Kevin: (sits back) Precisely.

Executive #2: We could release them alongside plush toys so there's not any seriousness left on our company.

All: Agreed!

Kevin: Next order of business... The Emperor's long lost brother, Bob...

curtain

Shameless lifted from here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 08:32:21 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 824