Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 954207 times)

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40,000 discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 03:05:49 pm »

When I got soulstorm, I got a preorder on release day all those years back in 2008. I was rather disappointed since it took 20 minutes to load the campaign on my crappy core 2 duo.

I always seem to be unlucky with preorders, I got Empire Total war by preorder for example.

Now just If I could find the money for a new 40k army...
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 03:06:00 pm »

Just too expensive to keep doing.

So, WH40K lore experts, what you say about that? Space Egyptian Dynasties each having it's own agenda and possibly some Game of Thrones style of stabbing going around vs. MUST EXTERMINATE MUST HARVEST SOULS?
This is what's wrong with the new ones. They have character, which is nice; but the focus of 3rd ed wasn't the crons themselves as they were soulless automatons who could not be reasoned with, it was on the star gods. The star gods had character, unique amongst the gods in that they actually got shit done themselves unlike chaos, g/morks or empy. These ones are generic space tomb kings.

Let's look at it this way:
  • In 3rd ed Crons, the Tau are under siege by Tyranids, all looks lost. All this fighting disturbs the Crons on the nearby moon, who win the space battle and wipe out the nids on the ground. When the tau begin celebrating their new saviours, the Crons open fire. Grimdark? Horror! Grimdark! These ones actually made sense as to why they were grimdark, and they provided a new material horror that was the yang to chaos's yin psychological horror.
  • In 5th ed Crons, the Blud Angles need some help. Crons show up and brofist them.

Crons were too successful, too dangerous. They risked causing the story to progress, which is verboten.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:07:37 pm by Loud Whispers »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 03:14:51 pm »

What exactly happened to the C'tan in the latest edition? From what I heard, they weren't really even mentioned anymore (which is weird, giving Nightbringer's appearance in one of the Ultramarines books, and the Void Dragon's whole thing on Mars).
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 03:16:09 pm »

What exactly happened to the C'tan in the latest edition? From what I heard, they weren't really even mentioned anymore (which is weird, giving Nightbringer's appearance in one of the Ultramarines books, and the Void Dragon's whole thing on Mars).
All appearances in previous canon are supposedly just escaped shards, therefore removing almost all sense of urgency in their escaping/appearance to make sure they didn't get any more shit done.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 03:18:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure most of GWS veterans, who were there from the Rogue Trader and Realms of Chaos days, are gone. You've got still Rick Priestly around, a few old hands editing 40k novels. But I think GWS is basically run by their shareholders now. I personally haven't given two shits about the published table top lore and the armies since 2nd ed. And when they stuck the Tau in there.....blech.

That's ok though. At least I've still got a small public library worth of 40k novels to enjoy reading. If you dig Imperial fluff, I really recommend the Horus Heresy series of novels. On the one hand, it tears the veil away from one of the most legendary times in 40k history, and seeing legends talk and act like people is a mixed bag. On the other, the exploration of pre-Current Imperial thinking is pretty neat. You know, a time when Space Marines believed the Emperor to be a man rather than a god, when science and logic ruled over superstition and zealotry.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 03:40:24 pm »

Just too expensive to keep doing.

So, WH40K lore experts, what you say about that? Space Egyptian Dynasties each having it's own agenda and possibly some Game of Thrones style of stabbing going around vs. MUST EXTERMINATE MUST HARVEST SOULS?
This is what's wrong with the new ones. They have character, which is nice; but the focus of 3rd ed wasn't the crons themselves as they were soulless automatons who could not be reasoned with, it was on the star gods. The star gods had character, unique amongst the gods in that they actually got shit done themselves unlike chaos, g/morks or empy. These ones are generic space tomb kings.

Let's look at it this way:
  • In 3rd ed Crons, the Tau are under siege by Tyranids, all looks lost. All this fighting disturbs the Crons on the nearby moon, who win the space battle and wipe out the nids on the ground. When the tau begin celebrating their new saviours, the Crons open fire. Grimdark? Horror! Grimdark! These ones actually made sense as to why they were grimdark, and they provided a new material horror that was the yang to chaos's yin psychological horror.
  • In 5th ed Crons, the Blud Angles need some help. Crons show up and brofist them.

Crons were too successful, too dangerous. They risked causing the story to progress, which is verboten.
Hmmm, that's an interesting take on things. Never though of it that way, but then again I don't know much about WH40K lore to begin with.

Oh, and conscript strategy sounds absolutely hilarious. Reminds me of a comic I once read, but can't find the specific entry so here's a first page. Enjoy.

edit:
Found it!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:20:33 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 05:17:14 pm »

Now just If I could find the money for a new 40k army...
I once considered getting into the tabletop.

Then I looked at the miniature prices.

I turned around, started running and never looked back.

I swear, I hate what Games Workshop has become over the years. That eternal stagnation is really damn annoying. There's so many interesting directions they could take, instead it's always the same, the status quo preventing anything having a lasting or meaningful impact.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 06:37:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »

What you basically want is the 40k Apocalypse. From reading the fiction, I can tell you the Apocalypse for 40k is the triumph of the Warp over Reality. The table top fiction doesn't really deal with this because it's not germane to dudes to shooting each other on the battlefield. But the novelists have more room to deal with wider issues.

That's kind of why I read novels instead of playing 40k now too. Given a prolific enough author like Dan Abnett, you get some sort of story movement. Granted it's one sector in the vastness of the Imperium, but it's better than context-less battles. I'm aware of the irony of publishing all the Horus Heresy stories over the last few years; instead of trying to move the storyline forward, they just skipped back 10,000 years and poured all their creativity into that. I imagine once they've detailed the Heresy (like 28 novels and they're still not even to the Battle for Terra), you might see some new movement on the current universe. Of course, that could be like 4 editions from now....

Re: 40k figs. I guess I'm lucky because I got into it as a teen and bought enough figs to field an army. So now that I'm older I can decide to splurge and buy a Dreadnought or something without cringing....much.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 07:27:34 pm »

My take on how they could advance the storyline for the coming future (just some random thoughts I just came up with):

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:01:37 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 08:48:17 pm »

By the way, anyone in here play the Dawn of War Soulstorm mod 'Ultimate Apocalypse'? It's honestly the most fun I've ever had with a 40K game.

Massive battles, Titans, crapton of races. Oh, and they have their own multiplayer servers, so no hassle with rounding up a few friends and shooting some xenos in the face with tanks the size of bungalows.

HOLYSHITYES.Just let me download it on my new CP, and we can get crackin' away at it.

Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 09:16:16 pm »

I play Ultimate Apocalypse, and my favorite activity is decking out the Canoness and razing armies.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 09:17:37 pm »

My take on how they could advance the storyline for the coming future (just some random thoughts I just came up with):

Sounds good, with only one issue - What he hell are the Imperium, Tau, and Eldar doing during this time? You've given all the "Bad Races" eachother to fight, so what happens to the races that occasionally team up?
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 09:20:19 pm »

Sounds good, with only one issue - What he hell are the Imperium, Tau, and Eldar doing during this time? You've given all the "Bad Races" eachother to fight, so what happens to the races that occasionally team up?
Too busy coming up with new ways to break the tabletop.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 09:41:31 pm »

The Tau are parking a hovercraft between their infantry squad and the mehrens, making it impossible for the mehrens to get into melee range.

I occasionally get the urge to play some 40k on Vassal, and I have all the games but Soulstorm.  And I've played most of the P&P RPGs except Black Crusade and Only War.

Dawn of War is pretty fun.  Dark Crusade was definitely the best of them.  The original Dawn of War 2 was awesome and I loved the RPG mechanics and the gear, especially the cursed gear.  Retribution wasn't as good.

Space Marine was fun and I liked the multiplayer for a while but there wasn't much to it. 

The tabletop RPGs all had a problem of getting way too crunchy about stuff that probably didn't need to be crunchy.  This generally got worse with the newer expansions.  I wouldn't mind playing a Black Crusade game though.  Haven't done much with Only War but I heard it was a bit better about crunch. 

Dark Heresy's probably the best but it was their first attempt and it shows.  A lot of mechanics that didn't translate from the tabletop, especially when it comes to random chance. A small chance of catastrophic failure is one thing in the wargame because it only affects that game, but Perils of the Warp in Dark Heresy could ruin a months-long campaign.  They fixed that problem in the later games.

I still think 40k is pretty cool, but I'm always perturbed by the way it takes over people's brains.  Somebody starts playing 40k and suddenly that's all they can talk about.  All they can talk about.  Period. 

cough cough phantom cough
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 824