Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 954123 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40,000 discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:58 pm »

I still think 40k is pretty cool, but I'm always perturbed by the way it takes over people's brains.  Somebody starts playing 40k and suddenly that's all they can talk about.  All they can talk about.  Period.

Yeah, it does tend to promote obsession.

I think I like all the different table top games, thematically anyways. The rules...not so much. But I'm doing a re-write of sorts of Rogue Trader, and I'm hoping to run it sometime this year or the next.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 10:22:58 pm »

I still think 40k is pretty cool, but I'm always perturbed by the way it takes over people's brains.  Somebody starts playing 40k and suddenly that's all they can talk about.  All they can talk about.  Period.
Sarmatian battle tactics, anyone?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 02:35:10 am »

My take on how they could advance the storyline for the coming future (just some random thoughts I just came up with):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sounds good, with only one issue - What he hell are the Imperium, Tau, and Eldar doing during this time? You've given all the "Bad Races" eachother to fight, so what happens to the races that occasionally team up?

I could swear I typed that. Forum must've eated it. Will repost later, kay?

EDIT: here you go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There. Gonna add this to my previous post.

I play Ultimate Apocalypse, and my favorite activity is decking out the Canoness and razing armies.

Hah yeah, she can be a beast when fully upgraded. On par with a decked out warboss, even (though she might need some faith power to help her overcome the ridiculous health and damage of that thing).

By the way, as I was playing Ultimate Apocalypse some days ago while listening to the ER plug dj, Suddenly something beautiful happened.

Was playing necrons vs eldar and orks. I had amassed a big army of warriors, pariahs and immortals. And as they were marching, stripping the flesh of everything in their path, this song started playing:

One winged Angel.

I swear to god, I just clicked 'attack move' and watched slackjawed. So goddamn fitting.

By the end of the song, my necron lord speared and gutted the last farseer, and everything was dead. All was quiet.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:13:19 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 06:47:27 am »

Well then, I tested the ultimate apocalypse multiplayer with pancaek, and it was a smashing success. Easy to set up using their server, and it's great fun blasting away xenos with more people.

We did discover however, that while in singleplayer skirmish you get all the races even if only soulstorm is installed, for multiplayer you also need the previous DOW games installed to get them, otherwise it's only dark eldar, sisters of battle and tyranids for multi. Luckily we did have the other games, so I could play as Imperial Guard and steamroll some heretics with airdropped baneblades. And airborn Kasrkin ferried around via Valkyrie.

Oh, and that certain special victory conditions (which work like costumization options) give desyncs. Hilaruously though, the game doesn't crash, it just keeps going with two different 'timelines'.

"Dude, your base is under attack, won't you do something?

"What the hell are you talking about? I'm trashing their base over here!"

"What the what?!?"

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:11:59 am by Radio Controlled »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 08:32:12 am »

The lore about necrons doesn't make sense anymore. Also, there's a war between them, but one faction can literally destroy any system it wants at pretty much any time. Why is there a cold war when one side has the supernuke?

If the Deciever started the Gothic war to destroy the blackstone fortresses - the only weapons that could destroy C'tan - now he's actually been in little bits for hundreds of thousands of years, so it a)couldn't have been him and b) so the blackstone fortresses weren't the only things, apparently.

A the C'tan as a threat just seem massively downgraded now that the Necrons have broken them up with their Gauss Pickaxes or whatever. I liked the mysterious doombots rather than space-tomb kings, because the real focus was always on the much more interesting C'tan.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40,000 discussion thread: no love for newcrons edition
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 08:43:01 am »

Yeah, people often refer to the C'tan now as 'pokémon', seeing as how they're contained inside those shards and can be called upon to fight.

Maybe they don't want to use that weapon for fear of overkill (in 40k? Hah!) or escalation? Or some honor thing (which they have now, apparently) perhaps.

They do say though that if C'tan shards are put together the C'tan inside becomes more powerful, to the point that if enough pieces are together it could 'become whole again' so to speak.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:39:59 am by Radio Controlled »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 10:42:57 am »

Secondly, The expansion of the Eye due to increased Chaos powers can be used as an excuse why orks get drawn to this portion of space, giving a big WHAAAGH that fully hits it. Cue biggest whaagh yet, right into the Eye.
This is by far one of the things that MUST happen. Failbaddon gets ready for the next great crusade and gets comically wrecked by bread mould and dakka, lightens the mood a bit with hilarious genocide and awesomeness whilst progressing the story. There's a brilliant bit of lore in that one Ork warboss fought a Khornate demon in his space hulk once, and was forever hooked with fighting them. He led his warband across the Imperium and into a Cadian deathworld used for training stormtroopers, just when the Imperium think everything's gone to shits and they need to fight the Orks the Orks leave the world and head for the eye of terror.
They burn world after world to the ground until they finally reach one Khornate demon world which at first appears empty. They begin tearing the planet apart until Khorny demons start appearing everywhere, one by one they all die. The Ork warboss actually castrates a khornate demon before being killed by it.
It doesn't end there, as the Orks are brought back to life every sunrise to keep fighting the demons.
Ork vs chaos OTP

What you basically want is the 40k Apocalypse. From reading the fiction, I can tell you the Apocalypse for 40k is the triumph of the Warp over Reality.
1. Hell yes, apocalypse now!
2. I wouldn't say so. The triumph of the warp over reality I take to be the inevitable end state of everything, you wouldn't really say the heat death of the universe is the apocalypse - that happens earlier, and much more violently. The apocalypse is going to happen because of the Empy, Chaos, Eldar, Pokemon, Nids, Blueberries and Orks all getting their shit together and start blowing everything up.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 02:57:48 pm »

Also, if anyone wants to play the Ultimate Apocalypse mod for Dawn of War: Soulstorm, add me on steam - same name. Or alternatively, message me your steam name and we can get some games rollin'.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 04:25:10 pm »

2. I wouldn't say so. The triumph of the warp over reality I take to be the inevitable end state of everything, you wouldn't really say the heat death of the universe is the apocalypse - that happens earlier, and much more violently. The apocalypse is going to happen because of the Empy, Chaos, Eldar, Pokemon, Nids, Blueberries and Orks all getting their shit together and start blowing everything up.

No, it's more like, imagine if the inevitable heat death of the universe recruited scientists to build machines on the sly, to accelerate the heat death of the universe.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 04:32:32 pm »

No, it's more like, imagine if the inevitable heat death of the universe recruited scientists to build machines on the sly, to accelerate the heat death of the universe.
Point taken. But say if the Fungus, Nids or Blueberries win; Chaos is dead as we know it. Specifically, as humans know it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 04:36:15 pm »

Point taken. But say if the Fungus, Nids or Blueberries win; Chaos is dead as we know it. Specifically, as humans know it.

I think Khorne loves him some orks though. Remember that Chaos gods don't necessarily need direct worship, the emotions themselves are enough to 'feed' them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 04:46:15 pm »

I think Khorne loves him some orks though. Remember that Chaos gods don't necessarily need direct worship, the emotions themselves are enough to 'feed' them.
I'm pretty certain the Orks eat their own rage and leave the scraps for Gork and Mork to devour; there'd be nothing left for skull collector.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2014, 09:31:15 pm »

But seriously, don't fuck with the C'tan. WH40k is my favorite lore. So much aspects. I can get lost in the Lexicanum forever.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2014, 01:43:38 pm »

Oh look a warhammer 40k thread.

I does not approve of Tau storyline advancing shenanigans. >.>

But then again it's certainly halfway possible. I just don't like it. Plus Kroot have Warp Engines of a sort and I still don't get why the Tau aren't reverse engineering those.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2014, 01:50:41 pm »

I remember hearing something about how the tau don't use the warp now, they use almost light speed. But if they do, they can't hold an empire when it'd take them years to make a journey and for everyone else it'd probably take a week. Sure, the warp occasionalyl messes things up, but it still allows communication and travel faster than light.

Say the distant between each star is 3 light years. For everyone lese that's a small - a few days to a few weeks, without great Warp fuckery. With Tau now, that's at least three years. By then, whatever invading army has invaded, taken over the planet, then left for the planet the tau fleet is departing from and passed them on the way.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 824