Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 954799 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8865 on: May 19, 2017, 02:30:25 pm »

GWS: Ruining Your Settings Since Forever ;)

Games Workshop: The company that can't be trusted with a cool story since 1975!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: May 19, 2017, 02:54:33 pm »

Rogue Traders sometimes trade within the Imperium, but this is looked down upon amongst Rogue Traders, and is seen as a sign of impending destruction by a trader so weak they are reduced to the activities of a mere merchant captain. As acquiring new ships for a bargain (or even more severely, a second Warrant of Trade) is critical for Rogue Traders, being overly visible trading within the Imperium brings down one's colleagues like Fenrisian Wolves.
We know from Priests of Mars that this is the case. Rogue Traders can get very rich by doing nothing more than trading internally within the Imperium. There was no hint that it was looked down upon.
Haven't read Priests of Mars, but it's not really about the wealth in my view. It's a prestige thing. The Merchant Fleet is is about 9/10ths of Imperial spacecraft, as one might expect. Of that, how many are Rogue Traders? Not many, that's for sure. A Warrant of Trade is something to fight an interstellar war over.

So if you're one of these folks, the elite of the elite class that even put Hereditary Free Charters to shame, have legal authority that is basically second only to an Inquisitor and practical authority far beyond that, are legally permitted to entreat with xenos if it serves the Imperium, and you choose to deliver a million billion tons of grain to hive worlds like some fucking peasant instead?

People are going to take note of that, none more so than your vicious competitors.

Are there no depths to which Geedubs will not sink? Should I just go ahead and assume there's going to be a Archie Meets The Emperor Of Mankind comic series and be done with it?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: May 20, 2017, 11:32:10 am »

So what's your guys' opinions of assassins on the tabletop? I'm about to see how well a Vindicare Assassin pairs up with the grey boyz in TTS.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: May 20, 2017, 11:49:53 am »

Apart from the Culexus they aren't very good, and the Culexus is competing with the Sisters of Silence these days.

They're fragile, even with access to 2+ cover saves and a 4+ invulnerable, cost as much as a kitted out unit of marines and aren't really killy enough for that price.

The Vindicare was great in 5th when it basically sniped a vehicle every turn, but even then it was a mediocre way to kill characters and monsters. Now it's just meh unless you feel it's worth spending all those points just to snipe out 1 guy with a plasma gun or grav gun per turn.

The Eversor has and will probably always be shit.

The Calidus has it's moments, but it's still not good.

Culexus is great because it shuts down psychic death stars hard. Sisters of Silence do it better nowadays though, for cheaper as well, so the Assassin is kinda pointless.

The problem is that they're just 1 guy with a few wounds and only so many attacks/shots. It doesn't take much effort for a unit of marines to just dakka them to death, and the assassins will struggle to kill a marine unit a lot of the time.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: May 20, 2017, 11:59:11 am »

[mother of all snips]

That's quite the post you made there, kudos. I have nothing to reward you with but the choice of one (1) thread title of your choosing. And a link to it in the OP I guess.

Perhaps consider posting a link to the post in some of the other big 40K boards (or copy paste it entirely there), so that the work you put into it can be seen by more people than just the bay12 40K aficionados?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: May 20, 2017, 01:46:16 pm »

Only thread title I can think of is "No Such Thing As A Free Bolter", so I'm open to suggestions.

I'd thought about posting it elsewhere, but I'm not on any other 40k boards and can't be bothered to register even more accounts.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: May 20, 2017, 02:20:28 pm »

in gws, no one can hear you scream.

speaking of, heard theyre making a new one.  if they're doing plot stuff based on Prometheus maybe id be interested ...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: May 20, 2017, 02:26:15 pm »

The Economy of Only War is a grox-hide codex. It is bound in grox-hide and adamantine.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8873 on: May 20, 2017, 05:00:17 pm »

Mfw LORE running over my EYEBALLS

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: May 20, 2017, 05:29:24 pm »

Perhaps consider posting a link to the post in some of the other big 40K boards (or copy paste it entirely there), so that the work you put into it can be seen by more people than just the bay12 40K aficionados?

I was going to do that on the Total War Center forums (whole copy paste with the link and kudos to the author of course). Would that be okay?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: May 20, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »

Sure, post or PM me the thread, I'd like to see what people think of it.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: May 21, 2017, 02:46:31 am »

Warhammer 40k thread: Imperial Alltime Wartime Economy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: May 21, 2017, 07:12:08 pm »

ummm....

what is 'jinking'
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: May 21, 2017, 08:59:24 pm »

ummm....

what is 'jinking'
sharply turning one way or the other to make a wavy path to be harder to hit
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: May 22, 2017, 05:26:14 am »

In 40k terms it's a rule that bikes, skimmers and fliers have that gives them a save against shooting attacks but means they only hit on 6s with their own shooting the following turn, and they also cannot fire template or blast weapons the following turn.

It's part of what Craftworld Eldar and White Scars biker lists insanely hard to beat.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 824