Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944597 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

This is a thread for general discussion about Warhammer 40K. Anything goes, from debates regarding the fluff to more specific things like the tabletop or 40K novels. Note that for discussions for things like new or upcoming 40K games, it might be worth to check if there isn't a thread in other games

Some superhandy links:
-Warhammer Discord (run by OutOfManaException)
-The 40K wiki
-Lexicanum, another 40K wiki, is more complete than the previous for certain topics
-1d4chan, also a 40K wiki, but much less serious and very tongue-in-cheek
-40K Lore in a minute (youtube video)

Thread rules.
Read 'em, learn 'em, love 'em.

1) keep faction fanboyism to a minimum. This includes bashing another faction or incessantly promoting your own. Giving critique of a faction, or giving your opinion of why you do or don't like something is fine, but try to ensure your stay coherent and make actual arguments, instead of just spouting empty propaganda.

2) related to no. 1, this isn't a roleplaying thread. Go join or create a game in 'forum games and roleplay' if you want your fix.

3) put large images in a spoiler. You can resize images by adding "width=x" to the image tag. For example: [img width=500]. If you only give a width, it will also change the height to keep the image in proportion.

Black Library, Bay12 Division
Economica Imperialis, Or Finances In Grimdark And Why They Matter, by MetalSlimeHunt
A comparative biology of Beastmen, by Grim Portent.
Chaos xenos, by Grim Portent.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 09:13:39 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40,000 discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:11:14 pm »

PTW.
So, thoughts on Eternal Crusade? Might buy it, but honestly, I'd be perfectly happy as an Ork Boy.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:13:31 pm »

Especially since they dont include Imperial Guard, yes ORKS it is.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:17:34 pm »

PTW, my attempt at a wargaming thread failed.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:23:20 pm »

PTW
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 02:26:06 pm »

PTW.
So, thoughts on Eternal Crusade? Might buy it, but honestly, I'd be perfectly happy as an Ork Boy.

I'm very hesitant. If the reviews turn out to be very positive, I might give it a chance, but I kinda doubt it'll be something for me. And paying for playing certain factions isn't all that cool if the free faction isn't one I feel excited about playing.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:29:37 pm »

Actually, from what I read so far, you can either buy the full game and get all the races, along with their classes, or you can buy specific classes and races through microtransactions.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:37:50 pm »

By the way, anyone in here play the Dawn of War Soulstorm mod 'Ultimate Apocalypse'? It's honestly the most fun I've ever had with a 40K game.

Massive battles, Titans, crapton of races. Oh, and they have their own multiplayer servers, so no hassle with rounding up a few friends and shooting some xenos in the face with tanks the size of bungalows.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:50:25 pm »

I don't actually own Dawn of War, do can't say I have. Seems fun, though.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 02:51:43 pm »

I have soulstorm, I think I may try it on my laptop.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 02:52:29 pm »

I don't actually own Dawn of War, do can't say I have. Seems fun, though.

Honestly, I'd consider buying it just for that.

I think you only need soulstorm for it, and I think that is a stand-alone game. Might wanna doublecheck though.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 02:53:16 pm »

Speaking of Soulstorm - how was the un-modded experience, in your opinion? I played both original DoW campaign and Dark Crusade (never finished the later), but I heard someone mention Soulstorm was god-awful expansion.

I'm neither expert on WH40K universe nor have I played Soulstorm, so - thoughts?

And as for this not being a topic devoted entirely to PC gaming - just today I've read about Necron lore change in 5th edition. Some time before that I heard the supposed-bane-of-everything-Warhammer Matt Ward introduced laughing Necrons in one of his books and I found the idea of soulless killing rape-machines showing any kind of emotions extremely offending.
But after reading entry on this very change on 1d4chan wiki it all makes more sense now and I kinda like it. Does put an interesting twist on things, even if it makes them a lot less grimmdark.
So, WH40K lore experts, what you say about that? Space Egyptian Dynasties each having it's own agenda and possibly some Game of Thrones style of stabbing going around vs. MUST EXTERMINATE MUST HARVEST SOULS?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 02:59:18 pm »

I'm wrestling with getting a founders pack for Eternal Crusade. I've got the money that I wouldn't miss $40 even if the game turns out to be vapoware. But I'd feel kind of dirty supporting the game this early when there's still so many stated design choices I disagree with.

Anyways, Dawn of War/Dark Crusade are still the best 40k RTS's IMO. Soulstorm is the lesser of them.

DoW II is nice and shiny and playable for a long period of time...but mechanically it's too much like MOBAs. Fun as a SP experience, but atrocious for MP.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is a great 3rd person 40k shooter. It's a pity MP was so basic though, because it could have been a lot of fun.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 02:59:28 pm »

Speaking of Soulstorm - how was the un-modded experience, in your opinion? I played both original DoW campaign and Dark Crusade (never finished the later), but I heard someone mention Soulstorm was god-awful expansion.

It suuuuuucked, in a myriad of ways. Though it did give us SPESS MAHREENS, so that's something, I guess.

And as for this not being a topic devoted entirely to PC gaming - just today I've read about Necron lore change in 5th edition. Some time before that I heard the supposed-bane-of-everything-Warhammer Matt Ward introduced laughing Necrons in one of his books and I found the idea of soulless killing rape-machines showing any kind of emotions extremely offending.
But after reading entry on this very change on 1d4chan wiki it all makes more sense now and I kinda like it. Does put an interesting twist on things, even if it makes them a lot less grimmdark.
So, WH40K lore experts, what you say about that? Space Egyptian Dynasties each having it's own agenda and possibly some Game of Thrones style of stabbing going around vs. MUST EXTERMINATE MUST HARVEST SOULS?

Hated it with a vengeance at first, but I'm unsure right now. Positive for tabletop players, now they can make more individual armies and such. Also might make way for some potentially interesting stories, mostly involving silent king and such. Though one could argue they could still have this without retconning the shit out of them.

However, now necrons fully are TOMBKINGS IN SPAAAACE, and they lost some of their appeal in my opinion. And C'tan are much less scary now.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 03:01:05 pm »

I'm neither expert on WH40K universe nor have I played Soulstorm, so - thoughts?

Personally, I think Soulstorm was a bit better than Dark Crusade just in pure mechanics. The main problem was that Soulstorm had worse voice acting, though the Sisters were rather underpowered and they took out the cool feature in Dark Crusade where defending on a map you conquered previously starts you out with all the structures you had built last time.

And yeah, Necrons aren't as cool with the whole morality thing, though Flayed Ones were originally Necrons that went insane due to having feelings.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 824