Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971453 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #495 on: May 11, 2015, 03:21:11 pm »

Yeah, about the most adult thing I remember happening in 40k lore was when the Emperor's Children fucked around on the Seige of Terra by going out and grinding/raping/both giant piles of civilians into drugs to injest.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 11, 2015, 03:21:35 pm »

Does nurgle aim all his ,, blessings " to the imperium, or he sends them to tau worlds, tyranid hives, eldar craftworlds and Comorragh too?

Papa Nurgle loves all equally, be they alien, daemon, machine or human.

Commorragh and the Craftworlds are nearly beyond his ability to affect though, having advanced medical tech and warp defenses that prevent his powers being able to easily take hold.

Tyranids are able to adapt immunity to his plagues very fast, making them ineffective.

The Tau haven't had much written about their interactions with the Warp and the gods. Theoretically they're very resistant to chaos powers, but I don't know if that extends to warp diseases.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 11, 2015, 05:28:23 pm »

If the disease was created via the warp but doesn't actively draw from it I don't see why they'd be particularly resistant. The issue is, to significantly affect the Tau the disease would have to:

1). Be highly resistant to medicine (Tau and their tech.)
2). Be infectious to a large variety of aliens (Tau are multi-raced.)
3). Be extremely virulent. (The Tau don't seem like they'd have much issue with a quarantine.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 11, 2015, 07:45:08 pm »

Ignoring the whole "Plot holes in 40k!?! Leshock!"

Well the Tau could be allergic to the disease.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 11, 2015, 07:49:53 pm »

If by 'Tau' you mean 'Earth Caste, Fire Caste, Water Caste, Air Caste, and Ethereals' then maybe, but the Tau are more than just one species. Hell, even looking at the 'core' stuff, there are the Kroot.
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 11, 2015, 09:29:54 pm »

If by 'Tau' you mean 'Earth Caste, Fire Caste, Water Caste, Air Caste, and Ethereals' then maybe, but the Tau are more than just one species. Hell, even looking at the 'core' stuff, there are the Kroot.

They are the same species... they are just like Pokémon in that respect...

Well maybe not... I'll have to recheck.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 11, 2015, 09:43:57 pm »

Yeah, the ones I mentioned are the same species, but the Tau consist of a lot of other races, apparently.
The circle is complete.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 11, 2015, 09:47:38 pm »

Blew my mind to find out that Tau are bovine.
In any case, I'd say they can get sick like everything else- but their technology is also pretty good.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 11, 2015, 09:50:02 pm »

Isn't the word "Tau" a reference to cows?

Like it is in their name.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 11, 2015, 09:55:41 pm »

No, it's a reference to the Greek letter Tau and the particle, referencing their high level of technology.

As for being multi-raced; the Tau Empire finds many races working together within it for the Greater Good However, as the Ethereals provide guidance to the Empire as a whole, and the vast majority by far of the population in the Empire are indeed Tau, a disease infested by the strange reality bending powers of the warp would only have to affect the Tau themselves in order to still seriously cripple fighting forces.

As much as the obsessively gue'la, genocidal Imperium? No. They won't lose entire worlds to plague, unless it's already in the process of becoming a Daemon World. Doesn't mean they can't get sick, though. They just get better more often than not.

In all honesty, I usually think of them as more Equine than Bovine, though it doesn't really matter either way.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 11, 2015, 10:11:59 pm »

Well Ahriman managed to turn an entire system into demon worlds on a whim, so I assume daemon princes would be able to do similar.
That being said I don't really play Daemons so I don't know if their mastery levels go that high, tabletopwise.

Isn't the word "Tau" a reference to cows?

Heh. Good spot.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

quamzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 12, 2015, 02:57:45 am »

So eldars/ tau are close to panacea STC technology level?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 12, 2015, 04:25:53 am »

So eldars/ tau are close to panacea STC technology level?
The Eldar are probably already there, considering humanity developed a Panacea that works on humans back in the Dark Age of Technology.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 12, 2015, 04:30:38 am »

Always interesting to see where certain technology and universal laws differ in sci-fi universes.

For example MechWarrior lacks micronisation (except when it does... seriously creators the existence of datapads means the fact that targeting systems weigh tons makes no sense)

and so far Warhammer lacks both cloning and "cell culture" technology.

To admit for Warhammer where everything has a physical and spiritual existence... the limitations of cloning do make more sense.

What was their excuse as to why cloning is nearly impossible?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2015, 05:09:51 am »

Always interesting to see where certain technology and universal laws differ in sci-fi universes.

For example MechWarrior lacks micronisation (except when it does... seriously creators the existence of datapads means the fact that targeting systems weigh tons makes no sense)

and so far Warhammer lacks both cloning and "cell culture" technology.

To admit for Warhammer where everything has a physical and spiritual existence... the limitations of cloning do make more sense.

What was their excuse as to why cloning is nearly impossible?

The Imperium may have had the technology to clone at one point but with the whole "research into new technology is strictly controlled, computers without humans wired in are an abomination and dark age of technology" means that they really just lack the knowledge on how to do it.

They find a cloning machine. They don't know what it is, how to start it, where to find the instructions, whether it's corrupted or not, whether it is broken and how to fix it if it is.

The Imperium doesn't really create new things. Occasionally/very rarely they'll find instructions on how to produce something but most things are variations. Baneblade, Stormhammer, Stormlord; they're the same tank chassis with different guns attached.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 824