Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965330 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #555 on: May 12, 2015, 08:57:46 pm »

Tyrannids, then?

Something something soul ≠ life.
Generally a soul indicates warp presence, so all living things have some semblance of soul.

Eldar seem to be the only things that have difficulty generating new souls, 'cos of whatever funky reincarnation stuff they're based around.

Afaik, if a Null or Pariah causes acute distress to psykers because of their lack of souls, I'd assume Tau also have them, despite them not having a warp presence.
They can still be affected by psychic powers just fine, so...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 12, 2015, 09:05:06 pm »

Webway portals need things set up on the other side, and were built before the Warp was corrupted.

The Tau, depending on what source you're reading, basically force themselves into the 'space' between the Immaterium and the real world, before allowing themselves to be forced back out like a ball held underwater, traveling large distances in the process. And that's still at least twice as slow as Imperial travel, on average(much safer and more reliable; also, I would say five times slower, but Merchants can achieve at least as much as a third of avg. Imperial Warp Speed, and the newer vessels were designed to be able to go even faster and farther by shaping their hulls to dive better as well). It does, however, rely on the turbulence of the Warp, to some extent. Not greatly, but it helps, and the distances between Galaxies are absolutely massive, which is the real issue.

Chaos doesn't spread because there's nothing in between to feed on, basically, which is what I originally meant to say, I mean.

The Hive Mind has a single soul, sure. One massive, spread out soul. Usually it's called the Shadow In The Warp.

Eldar don't have reincarnation. They die, they go in a soul stone, they help power armor/vehicles/get added to the Craftworld's Infinity Circuit/World Spirit/Slaanesh's trophy hoard because Dark Eldar don't use Soul Stones. Or they get saved by Cegorach because Harlequins. Solitaires don't even have a soul.

Tau have a warp presence, it's just very small compared to humans (or most other things), and they can't be located in the warp very easily; mind control would be difficult, or other such ilk. Fireballs work just fine.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 12, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »

Afaik, if a Null or Pariah causes acute distress to psykers because of their lack of souls, I'd assume Tau also have them, despite them not having a warp presence.

It's not really their lack of a soul. A lack of a soul just means you make no imprint on the Warp. You have as much effect on the tides of the Warp as a toaster.

The thing with Pariah is they project an actual blank spot in the warp, nothingness where the Warp should be. To Psykers, to be inside this spot, is like having their psychic power ripped from them, or severed abruptly.

So Pariahs do have souls, I believe. They're just anti-Warp souls.

Chaos doesn't spread because there's nothing in between to feed on, basically, which is what I originally meant to say, I mean.

I see you point. That doesn't necessarily mean that the universe can't shrink though. And all that leaves is the Warp, Chaotic or not. Unless the Warp contracts with reality, which means all that's out there is oblivion. Would still seem like something worth running from.

I can see it now...

Imperial Officer: Lord Malcador, I bear grave news.

Malcador the Sigilite: Out with it.

Imperial Officer: My lord, the top Mechanicus Astrologus have confirmed their findings. The galaxy, the Emperor's Realm, is slowly shrinking and one day it will collapse into a singularity. There's nothing we can do to stop it. The annihilation of everything is inevitable. Only the Warp will remain.

Malcador the Sigilite: ....Seriously? Emperor-damnit. You think I need this shit? Everything going on I have to deal with, the whole Imperium falling apart, and you're going to stand there and tell me we'll all fucked in another couple millennia anyways? Fuck it. You know what? Fuck it. I quit. I'm going to go out and get a beer and get laid. Nice job Big E, think you might have told me this a couple thousand years ago?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:14:48 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 12, 2015, 09:39:34 pm »

Eldar don't have reincarnation. They die, they go in a soul stone, they help power armor/vehicles/get added to the Craftworld's Infinity Circuit/World Spirit/Slaanesh's trophy hoard because Dark Eldar don't use Soul Stones. Or they get saved by Cegorach because Harlequins. Solitaires don't even have a soul.

1. Eldar HAD reincarnation. Slaanesh ruined that for them by gobbling them up before they could reincarnate.
2. Solitaires have souls- it just belongs to Slaanesh. I think Cegorach still fights for some of those too (But that one I'm iffy on)
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 12, 2015, 10:02:51 pm »

Yeah, whenever a Solitaire dies, Ceogorach goes into the Warp and tricks Slaanesh into looking elsewhere before stealing the soul back from him.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 12, 2015, 10:22:31 pm »

What's a Solitaire and how is it different from a Harlequin (something else I'm unfamiliar with)?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 12, 2015, 10:31:19 pm »

Harlequins are servants of the laughing god and also minstrels and actors. The form play troupes and go around doing a bunch of skits, most specifically 'the dance without end' which is basically the story of the fall.
The Solitaire is the guy who plays Slaanesh in the play.
Therefore his soul is forfeit.

Basically he's like a super-awesome cursed swordsman.

On the table they have I10. It's pretty gnarly.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 12, 2015, 10:34:48 pm »

What happens to human souls when they die?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 12, 2015, 10:37:23 pm »

It's a little more complicated than that, Tack, I believe.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 12, 2015, 10:46:59 pm »

Who needs complicated when it can be summed up in three lines?
If he wanted the long answer he'd hit Wikipedia.

As far as I know (which is always what I say when I can't really remember sources), all souls go to the warp when they die and get daemoneaten.
For most humans it's a barely noticeable flicker before they shuffle on, Eldar stick around for a while (good for reincarnation, bad for getting nommed for eternity).
Some highly favored chaos people get taken to the waiting room when they die, and they can be summoned back, etc etc.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 12, 2015, 10:47:37 pm »

If they worship Chaos they get eaten by daemons.
If they worship the Emperor they get eaten by daemons.
If they worship nobody they get eaten by daemons.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 12, 2015, 10:53:44 pm »

As the above posters said humans all get eaten by daemons when they die, but that doesn't actually stop you from being resurrected if someone has a way of doing so if the Dark Eldar novels are anything to go by.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 13, 2015, 12:55:45 am »

If they worship Chaos they get eaten by daemons.
If they worship the Emperor they get eaten by daemons.
If they worship nobody they get eaten by daemons.
Actually, considering Living Saints are a thing, as are Acts of Faith...well...the Warp works on belief, and damnit, there's a lot of Imperial Citizens who believe their soul is protected by the Emperor. Ork Logic levels of effect? No. But enough so that it's entirely up in the air/possible that your soul is protected by the Emperor.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 13, 2015, 01:28:37 am »

I'm sure the Lovely Little Snackables would love to believe that

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 13, 2015, 04:52:07 am »

So WTF are Living Saints? Apparently Macharius (second-best human!) was one? On an entirely different note, Malcador (first-best human!) was a really powerful psyker, so was his soul also nommed by daemons when he died?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 824