Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965385 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

He was also a god of honour

Yes and no. Khorne is a god of martial honor, different than just regular old honor. The rites of battle, the nobility of the warrior, the honor of single combat against another. That's what he favors. He doesn't care anything for morality and ethics though.
Is versus was. He's saying there used to be more of an emphasis on that part, but it seems like they've flanderized all the chaos gods into just DRUGS-SEX-DRUGSEX or BLOODKILLBLOODMURDERBLOODMAIMBLOOD or possibly HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEJUSTASPLANNEDHUEHUE. Nurgle seems like the only one left who's still interesting. I by far prefer when they were more than just ChA0s because chaos. But then, you also seem very set on your faction and seem to dislike most others, from what I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong. That's what it seems like, though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Chaos seems to have become more lolrandumb chaos than Hell

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

*EDIT
I have just noticed that the boobplate is made of skulls. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Saints support the sisters even in death.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

*EDIT
I have just noticed that the boobplate is made of skulls. HAHAHAHAHAHA
Saints support the sisters even in death.
The Codex Astartes supports these breasts

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Yes and no. Khorne is a god of martial honor, different than just regular old honor. The rites of battle, the nobility of the warrior, the honor of single combat against another. That's what he favors. He doesn't care anything for morality and ethics though.
Is versus was. He's saying there used to be more of an emphasis on that part, but it seems like they've flanderized all the chaos gods into just DRUGS-SEX-DRUGSEX or BLOODKILLBLOODMURDERBLOODMAIMBLOOD or possibly HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEJUSTASPLANNEDHUEHUE. Nurgle seems like the only one left who's still interesting. I by far prefer when they were more than just ChA0s because chaos. But then, you also seem very set on your faction and seem to dislike most others, from what I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong. That's what it seems like, though.

Oh, Nurgle is pretty much HUEHUEHUEHUEHEUDISEASE these days too. Have you actually read any Chaos novels lately though? The treatment of the deities and their followers is a lot more nuanced there. Like, a guy doesn't stop at being a Khorne Berzerker, it just informs their personality. Some treatment of Tzeentch stuff is as much about magic as it is about ridiculously complicated schemes. Slaanesh has always cleaved to its theme the hardest out of any of them because there's so many ways to express it. It's in the more bizarre and less obvious sources and methods of sensation where Slaanesh gets interesting again. It's about the lengths (nyuck nyuck nyuck) a devotee will go to, to achieve sensation. It's not always just about smoke weed everyday and face-down ass-up.

Nurgle is actually the one I sometimes find has the least ways to express itself. Once you set aside the juxtaposition of "horrible demon" with "friendly father figure"....it's either about not wanting to die or just loving disease for its own sake. I find Nurgle the least interesting just based on he premise. Always have, since I was a kid. But! I think writers often make up for it in execution. The way a disease works, or scope of its impact, is where Nurgle seems interesting to me. As a daemon or a meta-concept of the human experience...not so much.

If you haven't read any stories set on or about daemon worlds, I think that's where you get to see the four at their finest. In opposition to the Imperium, they're usually boiled down to their most basic and least interesting themes. Which, you know, sorta makes sense. Space Marine novels aren't about giving a deep and nuanced perspective of Chaos generally.

All that said, it's always up to the writer. Guys like Dan Abnett can take the lore for Chaos and make it have some soul, can do more themes with the things than the guys cranking out Space Marine novels. Some of the more interesting Chaos baddies I've read about come from Abnett, who doesn't even need to directly invoke the four to give his Chaos baddies their own flavor.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:00:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

I thought pointless ritual was more the province of the other three
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's true. And by rites of battle I mean "a grudging salute to your opponent before you split them from balls to collar bone." The ritualistic cleaning and preparation of one's war gear. Sacrifice.

There ARE rituals in his name, but they're not really sorcerous like the other three. They usually just require an assload of blood, knowledge of what you're doing and the will to make it happen. Not a lot of chanting or reading from books or burning candles and shit, if any. That said, daemons of Khorne can be summoned and bound by sorcery just like any thing else.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:07:44 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's true. And by rites of battle I mean "a grudging salute to your opponent before you split them from balls to collar bone." There ARE rituals in his name, but they're not really sorcerous like the other three. They usually just require an assload of blood, knowledge of what you're doing and the will to make it happen. That said, daemons of Khorne can be summoned and bound by sorcery just like any thing else.

Actually I was talking just as much about the "nobility of the warrior" and "honor of single combat" when I said pointless ritual bs. In fact, even more than the other chaos gods that sounds more like the Imperium's brand of pointless ritual bullshit
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No idea why you're hostile about it, but ok. You do know this is all make believe right? For a moment I had to double check I wasn't in one of the political threads :P

even more than the other chaos gods that sounds more like the Imperium's brand of pointless ritual bullshit

Khorne respects strength, and the contest of strength. That's about it. That the Imperium values the same things in slightly different ways is....a thing? You're implying something I'm not getting.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:12:35 pm by nenjin »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You do know this is all make believe right?
This could be taken to mean the Warp specifically or 40k in general.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Unleash your rage, let the power of Khorne flakes flow through you

I do remember one cool short story where it had an inept planetary governer oversee his planet's inevitable descent into fully-fledged demon world. There's a great moment where it's full of Slaaneshi demons, Nugle demons, Tzeentchi demons, and to add insult to injury the governer gets so pissed off he opens a rift allowing Khorne demons in, making it a full house. Then he has a moment of absolute clarity, and it freaks out the Khorne bloodletters as to why the governer isn't scared anymore.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:17:43 pm by Loud Whispers »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's just that my impression of Khorne's method of combat has been that the superficial appearance of honor has more to do with a lack of subtlety than any real sense of honor. A calculated and spiteful lack of subtlety; Sneak attacking or poisoning people borders on artsy which borders on Slaanesh benefiting in some way, they require planning so tzeentch could benefit. He doesn't have a sense of honor, he just doesn't like the others
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:23:07 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Poison sounds pretty Nurgle to me, sneaky pretty Tzeentch. Artsy killy is Slaanesh, that's why we have BASS CANNONS AMPLIFIED

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

superficial appearance of honor has more to do with a lack of subtlety than any real sense of honor

The dude likes a good fight, it's as simple as that. I suppose I should have said martial skill instead of honor.

Compared to virtually all the other Chaos Gods, he's the only one you can count on to just come at you, in the open, for a test of strength. He IS simple and straight forward, because murder at its heart isn't complicated or calculated. It's emotional. Where is the adrenaline rush in poisoning someone? Where is the warrior's death in dying of a wasting disease? Where is the warrior spirit in causing pain because it feels good, not because it hurts your opponent and leads you to victory?

And I mean, the dude's effective at what he does. Sometimes the other powers are so busy being clever or nuanced they don't know how to react to a straight forward chain axe to the face from a guy who won't stop coming at you with everything they have until he's dead? Khorne is to the human spirit what McDonald's is to the restaurant industry: he's accessible, widely available to all and therefore popular.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Something that is important to keep in mind is that since the Warp is a dimension based on emotion instead of math, Chaos exists in a state of multiplicity. Warp entities are, essentially, allowed to contradict their own existence many times over. Khorne is literally a giant bloodthirster who sits on a throne of skulls in a sea of blood in the warp, but at the same time he can also exclusively be the collective rage at the heart of all human beings with no will of his own, as well as also exclusively being a formless god of rage who bestows power upon his aspirants. Slaaneesh is a sea of dicks, but for some Slaaneesh is ultimate waifu. This is not some "taking the form you want to see most" bullshit, in these cases they're literally what they're being perceived as. Sometimes they're all long dead, sometimes they never existed, sometimes (most of the time) Slaaneesh extends backwards past hir birth into the past. It makes sense in the same way you can both love and hate the same person at the same time, and those are the laws of its existence.

With that in mind, the idea of "Khorne once cared for honor but now cares not from where the blood flows" is not accurate. You can interact with Khorne in that way, and some do (I believe Black Crusade had an example character in that vein). Another element to consider is that daemons are the same way as the gods, but upon manifesting they have to at least try to pretend they're obeying the laws of physics, hence the limitations they face and why they tend to vanish sooner rather than later.

For that matter, despite what the Imperium tells you there are three states of daemonic possession. Daemon controlling host is almost universally common, but sometimes humans are surprising bastards, and this results in one of the other two cases. The first and by far second most common is expulsion, get this weak shit the fuck out of my soul. Depending upon your current canon this is said to have the effect of making you really difficult to be corrupted by chaos, not that someone that adamantium-willed would have been an easy target to begin with. The third and perhaps most shocking type is host controls daemon (talk about Not As Planned). Want to shoot lighting but wasn't born a psyker? This is the way to do it. Warning: Daemons really hate it when impudent mortals eat them. Eating daemons will still corrupt you, albeit in a far more badass way.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:14:20 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 824