Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965430 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #1515 on: September 02, 2015, 08:45:55 am »

Aurelia is actually an ice world. The one that came up in Chaos Rising.
The desert planet is called Calderis, and there's actually some vegetation there, but at best "oasis" style (IIRC, the one of first IG missions in Retribution is on it and there are trees everywhere).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1516 on: September 02, 2015, 12:57:22 pm »

The presence of Orks does not necessarily mean that it's an ideal world for Orkification though; some death worlds have had Orks on them but never did have a long term Orky presence

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 02, 2015, 02:44:09 pm »

Point being that once you have Orks, either the planet itself will be suitably harsh enough that they'll stay at feral status, or you have to constantly be sending out the PDF for a cull so they don't end up forming a Waagh.

Something something sex metaphor.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1518 on: September 03, 2015, 07:23:30 am »

By the time they "only" have to constantly send out "only" PDFs, the whole Ork problem becomes more of a convenient enemy for training of Guardsmen regiments.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 03, 2015, 08:32:29 am »

By the time they "only" have to constantly send out "only" PDFs, the whole Ork problem becomes more of a convenient enemy for training of Guardsmen regiments.
^^^
From what i've read in BL, usually the best guardsmen regiments are trained against orks.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 03, 2015, 08:50:12 am »

PTW

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1521 on: September 03, 2015, 10:07:17 am »

^^^
From what i've read in BL, usually the best guardsmen regiments are trained against orks.
Deathkorps Kriegers and Armageddon Steel Legions take the cake imo, Prussian grimderps in the former and Red army lemon russian tanks all day long in the latter. And the steel legions are ork killers so it's at least half true

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 03, 2015, 10:12:57 am »

Cadians, who are supposed to be the 'Cream of the crop' mainly fight against chaos.
Tanith first and only also mainly fight chaos.

Though Catachans are Ork killers usually.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1523 on: September 03, 2015, 10:43:39 am »

Armageddon fights mostly against Orks...
Kriegers fight mostly against Kriegers (I'll explain that if needed).
Valhalla killed off the Ork infestation on their planet back in the days, dunno if anything remains.
Mordians fight Chaos cults on their world.
Vostroyan Firstborn are too busy decorating guns to fight.
Elysians apparently make field-trips to Armageddon for training. So Orks.
Harakoni Warhawks fight Nazi Germany in Bastogne (aka I have no fucking idea).
Atillans proably ride over unfortunate peasants on their planet or something.
Tallarans fight Chaos, maybe.
Scintillans fight other regiments, mostly Catachans (also, I'll explain but points to you if you understand without it).

Well, it seems that it's either Orks or Chaos. Understandable, as those are two most common (and with adequate numbers, so no Eldar or, haha, Tau) enemies of Imperium that don't fuck over planets in matter of hours (Tyranids, Necrons).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1524 on: September 03, 2015, 11:42:55 am »

Catachans aren't specifically Ork killers, as they pretty much kill everything, lots of lovely art where you see some Catachans who have gone native and run around wearing nid carapces whilst hunting lictors
Haven't heard about Scintillans, and I thought Kriegers finished killing the rebels and now just kill everyone?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1525 on: September 03, 2015, 12:01:05 pm »

Catachans aren't specifically Ork killers, as they pretty much kill everything, lots of lovely art where you see some Catachans who have gone native and run around wearing nid carapces whilst hunting lictors
Haven't heard about Scintillans, and I thought Kriegers finished killing the rebels and now just kill everyone?
Scintillans are the bitchass nobles covered in glory and gold which makes them usually disliked among other regiments (particulary Catachans) which results in... friendly fire accidents and calling artillery on each other heads.

According to DKoK novel I read, the rejected Guardsmen (for various reasons, mostly for free-thinking and showing initiative) are sent to surface and told to hold the damn line against the cadets that passed previous tests. It's kind of a final exam for them (the non-rejects, the rejects always die, either to cadets or to firing squads). Though, IIRC, the "hero" of the novel manages to live long enough to see another batch of rejects enter the trenches, which is something considering that less than a day passed. Just imagine the rate at which Krieg churns out regiments.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 03, 2015, 12:12:35 pm »

Anyone got good WH40K novels to recommend?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1527 on: September 03, 2015, 01:00:28 pm »

Dead Men Walking and Down Amongs the Dead Men, both about Death Korps Of Krieg, but that's just me.
Other than that just take anything from The Holy Trinity or their Holy Child. Don't read anything by C.S Goto.

Specifically, I'll say you should either go with Gaunt's Ghost series or read up on Caiphas Cain, but I am IG biased.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:44:46 am by Kot »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 03, 2015, 02:33:37 pm »

I'll second anything written by the authors in the Holy Trinity. Gav Thorpe, Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Henry Zou, Ben Counter, many others write decently as well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 03, 2015, 04:49:58 pm »

I'm sorry, you think Henry Zou is good?

The Emperor's Mercy is absolute garbage.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 824