Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971817 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2835 on: February 03, 2016, 02:32:08 pm »

You speak of "Chaos" like it's some kind of unified organization like "Cobra" or that the Chaos Gods give clear marching orders to their troops.

That STC might have been lost to all but the Chaos Gods, and they might not honestly even care about them. (Can't imagine Khorne finds bloodless automaton very interesting.)

Sure, it would have made perfect sense for a Chaos Lord like Abaddon to find it. But again, that's assuming Chaos has any kind of leadership.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: February 03, 2016, 02:33:37 pm »

Dunno, it seems like something Tzeench would do.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: February 03, 2016, 02:39:27 pm »

So, I was wondering, why doesn't Chaos create Men of Iron? I mean, the STC for them was found on a Chaos world. As corruptible sentient beings they could give a lot of power to the Chaos gods if they were mass produced.

Probably because the gods already have the perfect servants in the form of humanity.

That and they all refuse to actually destroy the Imperium and other races so long as the other gods still live.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: February 03, 2016, 02:43:48 pm »

Dunno, it seems like something Tzeench would do.

It could be yeah. It could be just as likely though that Tzeentch would send his followers after it just so they can get killed in the battle to claim it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: February 03, 2016, 03:35:18 pm »

They can just insert daemons into constructs anyway, no point in creating AI. Plus, actual men of iron would prob be anathema to chaos, since they'd be beings of the materium only, unless somehow daemon possessed. If there's anything chaos seems to hate, is purely material beings.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: February 03, 2016, 04:17:31 pm »

Who cares what blunts think or how they feel?
Probably you, since you spent at least the ride on the Blackships having it probably literally beaten into you that you're a wretched witch who should just die and let real humans be happy, and are only here because the God-Emperor in his great mercy allowed you to redeem your soul by dying for him.
I mean being the Inquisitor wot is a psyker.
Killed by your Puritan friends for being a witch or killed by your Radical friends when the daemon they're trying to summon agrees on the condition that you be the host.
So the same thing happens to the Eldar. So wat. It comes with the turf of being awesome.
As was said, the Eldar just aren't at very much risk compared to humans. Slaanesh already owns them all personally, so daemons typically don't bother. Beyond that, Eldar have the very necessary evolved structures to contain psychic power and not be so fucking crazy man, just fucked in the head man, oh god!
Show us on the armor where the God-Emperor touched you MSH.
*points to the Polarist Declaration of Nature and Unnature*
They can just insert daemons into constructs anyway, no point in creating AI. Plus, actual men of iron would prob be anathema to chaos, since they'd be beings of the materium only, unless somehow daemon possessed. If there's anything chaos seems to hate, is purely material beings.
The relationship between Chaos and AI has always been weird. On one hand, you've got the Dark Mechanicus and the Men of Iron, who were probably corrupted by Chaos when the Eye of Terror opened. On the other hand, you've got the Necrons, who are immune. I don't think GW really nailed down this point very well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: February 03, 2016, 05:31:44 pm »

On the other hand, you've got the Necrons, who are immune.
Necrons aren't AI, though. Which doesn't really explain why they are immune. Maybe it is related to their race? Do they even have psykers?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2842 on: February 03, 2016, 05:41:55 pm »

I am half sure it's related to the fact that C'Tan ate their souls or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: February 03, 2016, 05:42:38 pm »

I am half sure it's related to the fact that C'Tan ate their souls or something.
Yeah, cause they realized that souls are more nutritious than radioactive fart gas.  I mean, the warp DID used to be the realm of souls.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: February 03, 2016, 07:31:32 pm »

Necrons still have souls as of current fluff I think, they're just imprisoned in the metal tombs that are their bodies. Both more grimdark and allowed for more fluff than the old version.

I always assumed their warp resistance is a property of necrodermis, though the Black Crusade RPG claims it's not that they're immune, but that the gods have even less interest in them than they do in the Tau. They have no blood to spill, cannot decay, do not feel real pleasure or practice real schemes. Everything they do is a recycled protocol based on how they acted millennia ago rather than being real creative thought based on emotion. Obviously this is not entirely consistent with some of the Egypt-Crons fluff, but I kind of like it as an explanation anyway.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: February 03, 2016, 09:54:35 pm »

The relationship between Chaos and AI has always been weird. On one hand, you've got the Dark Mechanicus and the Men of Iron, who were probably corrupted by Chaos when the Eye of Terror opened. On the other hand, you've got the Necrons, who are immune. I don't think GW really nailed down this point very well.
Ehh, the only corrupted Men of Iron I know of were the ones Gaunt found in First and Only, and they were proper Chaos'd.
The only real issue I could see the dark gods having with it would be the lack of any particular god's influence, but they'd probably happily rampage across the galaxy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: February 03, 2016, 10:20:01 pm »

Do the Men of Iron have souls?

If not, Chaos as a whole won't really give a damn.

The Men of Iron Gaunt found had been camped out in a chaos-infested world for quite some time, so it might have just been that they were full o' daemons. While sufficently advanced machines can become daemons in their own right (as shown in one of the Grey Knight novels, where the AI of a super-titan turns into one) I suppose it depends whether Men of Iron are quite intelligent and soulful enough as a whole for the big four to be interested.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2847 on: February 03, 2016, 11:52:42 pm »

The Men of Iron Gaunt found had been camped out in a chaos-infested world for quite some time, so it might have just been that they were full o' daemons. While sufficently advanced machines can become daemons in their own right (as shown in one of the Grey Knight novels, where the AI of a super-titan turns into one) I suppose it depends whether Men of Iron are quite intelligent and soulful enough as a whole for the big four to be interested.
You proably mean the Castigator-Class Autonomous Bipedal Weapons Platform, aka the... yeah, super-titan. And the AI in question was so super-advanced (not to mention that the whole Titan was more human-like than you would expect, with syntetic muscles and being upright instead of hunched like the rest of them) that it didin't exactly got deamonified (though I think the Grey Knights explain that it's just regular Titan with deamon as the pilot, simply beause they don't accept the existence of AI or something) but rather made a pact on nearly equal terms with the goddamn Chaos Gods. Only few beings in the Galaxy can claim to have done the same thing, one of them being the God Emperor.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: February 04, 2016, 12:04:34 am »

(I see your heresy and I see it as false.)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: February 04, 2016, 12:09:00 am »

Corpsegod worshippers always accusing everything they don't like as Heresy, almost like they can't come up with any more valid argument. Praise Khorne.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 824