Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965159 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4425 on: June 09, 2016, 10:09:52 am »

So does that mean there's a daemonic chain of command? Sorceror is above daemon but below greater? Where do princes fit in the condescension hierarchy?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: June 09, 2016, 10:19:48 am »

So does that mean there's a daemonic chain of command? Sorceror is above daemon but below greater? Where do princes fit in the condescension hierarchy?

The daemon ranks go something like this from lowest to highest:

Unaligned creatures like Furies and lesser warp entities
Daemon beasts such as Seekers and Beasts of Nurgle
Lesser Daemons like Bloodletters
Heralds
Greater Daemons
Gods

Soul Grinders and Princes are somewhat off to the side of the hierarchy, not really fitting in properly.

Soul Grinders are viewed with differing opinions depending on which type of daemon does the viewing. Khorne daemons view Grinders with contempt for being beaten in combat and choosing to take the easy way back to war which leaves them slaves to someone other than Khorne.

Princes are something of a case by case thing, generally viewed as less than most daemons because they were once mortal but also sometimes bearing power and rank above most greater daemons. In general the average one seems to rank alongside Heralds, but some rank higher or lower, like Doombreed and Angron.

Khorne has a structure to his forces, with 8 bloodthirsters being commanded by him, who each command eight more bloodthirsters in turn and so on down through 8 ranks, the lowest rank of which commands the Heralds and Princes who command the war engines and lesser daemons.

It is unclear if the others have their own form of Khorne's daemonic legions or not, though Nurgle at the least likely has some form of hierarchy given how organised Plaguebearers are.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: June 09, 2016, 10:25:04 am »

I always had the impression that only greater daemons are actualy fully self aware, while lesser ones are only partly so because they're constrained by their particular god's portfolio. Hence stuff like daemonettes, bloodletters and nurglings are just piles of emotion with a minimun of inteligence required for coordination and etc. Chaos Spawns and other chaos beasts are mindless, driven only by a single emotion or instinct, while greater daemons are fully self aware and are only not constrained by their god's portfolio because they embody that one portfolio, which is partly the reason as to why they even became greater daemons, with Daemon Princes being greater daemons +1, since they often show greater power then pretty much any know greater daemon. I mean, each individual primarch was more powerful then a single greater daemon while human, one would assume they'd become even more powerful as daemons.

That said, is Lorgar the only daemon prince that doens't fall under any specific god?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:28:08 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: June 09, 2016, 10:33:57 am »

I think Perturabo is also unaligned.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: June 09, 2016, 10:48:34 am »

Yup. Bribed his way in with tons of ImpFist gene-seed.

That would be amusing though. "I M DEMUN PRINC OF FURIS. HUNGRY. HHUNGRRY"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:50:23 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: June 09, 2016, 10:50:03 am »

Bloodletters, Daemonettes and so on are capable of speech and decision making in the fluff. They all want the same basic things as their god, but they do have free will.

One of the Slaanesh units in the tabletop only came about because a group of Daemonettes disobeyed their orders and went to fight rather than tend his gardens. He punished them by turning them to statues, but decided to let his other Daemonettes use the lawnmowers they had ridden into battle on in future fights because he loved the carnage they caused.

The Changeling (a herald grade daemon) is also possessed of free will, roaming around dicking with people for his own amusement rather than being given orders by Tzeentch.

Ku'Gath, a Great Unclean One, also seeks his own task, trying to replace the most virulent plague Nurgle ever made because he accidently drank it and feels guilty about it.

There are also cross-deity pacts between daemons who have come together to form stronger forces than they could be normally. One is composed of a greater daemon of each god and their attendant armies.

There's also the fact that Soul Grinders can be made of any daemon but are an entirely voluntary process and the gods don't like them at all because they serve the Forge over the gods themselves.

Daemon Princes are mostly far weaker than Greater Daemons. There are exceptions, like the daemon primarchs, but those are exceptions rather than the norm. Compare a tabletop Bloodthirster to a Daemon Prince and there's a pretty distinct difference. Unique princes like Samus do have better stats though, sometimes being stronger than Greater Daemons. This also holds true in the computer games and pen and paper RPGs.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: June 09, 2016, 11:29:15 am »

There's also Be'lakor. But his lore in both 40k and fantasy is so fucked up that it's ok to forget he exists.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: June 09, 2016, 11:33:40 am »

There's also Be'lakor. But his lore in both 40k and fantasy is so fucked up that it's ok to forget he exists.

I just read up on him. That has to be the most generic-ass demon I've ever seen 40k produce. Not surprised that he shows up in 7th ed and beyond.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: June 09, 2016, 07:34:10 pm »

Khorne has a structure to his forces, with 8 bloodthirsters being commanded by him, who each command eight more bloodthirsters in turn and so on down through 8 ranks, the lowest rank of which commands the Heralds and Princes who command the war engines and lesser daemons.

It is unclear if the others have their own form of Khorne's daemonic legions or not, though Nurgle at the least likely has some form of hierarchy given how organised Plaguebearers are.
I was gonna say that that didn't seem like that much, but then I remembered what Bloodthirsters actually are. They aren't Bloodletters, like I was thinking of.

19 million Bloodthirsters is rather a lot, though...19 per Space Marine, before counting Chaos Marines...Plus I can easily see each of them commanding at least 64 Bloodletters and associated other Khornate Daemons...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: June 09, 2016, 08:09:07 pm »

I just read up on him. That has to be the most generic-ass demon I've ever seen 40k produce. Not surprised that he shows up in 7th ed and beyond.
I mean, his whole thing is that he's supposed to be generic. He's the Chaos Gods' first daemon project.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: June 09, 2016, 10:15:14 pm »

Then I'd expect it to look a little weird and fucked up. That's like a text book demon.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: June 10, 2016, 02:53:28 am »

I was gonna say that that didn't seem like that much, but then I remembered what Bloodthirsters actually are. They aren't Bloodletters, like I was thinking of.

19 million Bloodthirsters is rather a lot, though...19 per Space Marine, before counting Chaos Marines...Plus I can easily see each of them commanding at least 64 Bloodletters and associated other Khornate Daemons...

I seem to recall that most of the chaos gods forces fight each other in the Warp, and that Khorne has a whole legion of bloodthirsters fighting each other eternally at the base of his skull-pile

I AM CURIOUS ABOUT THE CHOICES THAT GAVE LED YOU TO THIS MOMENT
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: June 14, 2016, 06:59:05 am »

There's also the fact that Soul Grinders can be made of any daemon but are an entirely voluntary process and the gods don't like them at all because they serve the Forge over the gods themselves.
I thought Greater Demons were forced to be bound into Soul Grinders? Or was that something else?

Must be something else. Daemons fight each other for the chance to become a Soul Grinder because it allows them to return to realspace from banishment immediately to seek revenge on mortals. They incur a debt to the forgemasters that transform them and are pledged to protect the forge even from the gods.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: June 14, 2016, 07:02:34 am »

They also rarely (if ever) get out of the debt.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: June 14, 2016, 08:17:52 am »

Something something American education system
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 824