Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965225 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4605 on: June 30, 2016, 11:28:52 am »

GW is handles its stuff in a very odd way. It lends the IP to people like the guy who made the ultramarines movie but refuses to allow anything huge to be made with it. A well made 40k movie would easily beat the shit out of the infinite cringe worthy wave of superhero movies that hollywood has been vomiting.

The thing is, if a HH movie came out, who would play the role of the emprah? Prob no one and he'd be made entirely of CG since apparently everyone sees the emprah in a different way.

I vote arnold for lorgar and danny devito for kor phaeron :v!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look at those evil bastards.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: June 30, 2016, 11:55:44 am »

I think someone actually is working on a full-length Warhammer 40k movie. Not Triple-AAA, but there's definitely some production value going into it.

PRE-EDIT(Got distracted by another video): Here it is. The Lord Inquisitor.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4607 on: June 30, 2016, 12:12:37 pm »

It's all CGI though.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: June 30, 2016, 12:17:53 pm »

Can you imagine the budget of not doing CGI though?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: June 30, 2016, 12:19:12 pm »

Depends on the CGI quality.

I'm still holding out for that second golden age of practical effects.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: June 30, 2016, 12:22:36 pm »

I mean outside bringing ships to the ground combat (which would just be silly)

Never underestimate GW willingness to separate you from your money.

And yes, a AAA movie (or set of movies) of Warhammer 40k, well done, would simply piss off every other franchise into oblivion. Specially if made so that you don't have to read tons of lore to understand. It would have to be set either in the HH (and be either several movies or a very VERY condensed one) or set virtually anywhere in the "current" time with some voice over intro into the setting, kind of like how the game FireWarrior starts.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:34:55 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: June 30, 2016, 12:47:19 pm »

If you just gave the classic "opening speech" for 40k during the pan-in to whatever planet the film takes place on, that would be enough for audiences. One of the benefits of 40k's derivative style is that you can get a close approximation of what's going on just from talking about it. The unwashed masses could go on to get as much or as little detail as they wanted from all the other 40k material out there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4612 on: June 30, 2016, 12:54:23 pm »

I have been toying with the idea of making short movies in SFM once Joazzz relases all his stuff for Source (he works in Valve Time, though). Hell, you could make a game out of it, if only Games Workshop didin't go CEASE AND DESIST on your ass.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: June 30, 2016, 12:58:15 pm »

Yeah, a "grim, grim darkness" speech would work pretty well in conveying the general fuckedness.

That said, the darkness wasn't quite as grim just yet before the HH...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4614 on: June 30, 2016, 01:01:29 pm »

That said, the darkness wasn't quite as grim just yet before the HH...
Game Of Thrones - esque Horus Heresy series.
Yes please.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: June 30, 2016, 01:04:38 pm »

Wouldn't work, not enough butts to go around until slaanesh cultists come on screen.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: June 30, 2016, 01:25:14 pm »

If you just gave the classic "opening speech" for 40k during the pan-in to whatever planet the film takes place on, that would be enough for audiences. One of the benefits of 40k's derivative style is that you can get a close approximation of what's going on just from talking about it. The unwashed masses could go on to get as much or as little detail as they wanted from all the other 40k material out there.

I.e. the Dune intro.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: June 30, 2016, 07:18:08 pm »

The Room of 40k films, if you will.

Speaking of 40k films, it really strikes me how idiotic people who try to make franchise films must be, that they make things like Ratchet and Clank or Warcraft movies that can't possibly have a good narrative when there are settings like 40k out there. A Triple-A 40K film could be set anywhere in-universe, have a real plot, and not be shit.

It isn't that videogames can't have a good movie. It is that they don't automatically lend themselves to a good script because they lend themselves to interactivity and thus their narratives support that (in spite videogames wanting to be movies nowadays). Comics are a bit better because they are written narratives as narratives and books usually are more about cutting things out.

So a videogame based movie typically needs to create a new story with the material and Hollywood often buys up these properties before they have a good script.

Ratchet and Clank's folly was that it basically was a direct translation of the game's plot shot by shot into a movie.

Warhammer 40k would face the EXACT same problem as all other games... in fact possibly even worse. Since its story is ALL backstory... It has no REAL narrative or story just set pieces. A movie would have to invent a story OR bend over backwards trying to make the backstory into a viable story.

All while needing to overlook the grimdark nature of the setting and how there are no real good guys (Even the God Emporer is basically a baby eating soul sucking Lich)... As well as the fact that the "Heroes" are basically mutants who aren't even human anymore only aping human sympathy with the only emotions they can feel are those that aid them in war.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:21:46 pm by Neonivek »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: June 30, 2016, 07:23:22 pm »

Shame there's no books set in 40k.
If such things existed, some of those could probably be converted into decent films.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: June 30, 2016, 07:25:51 pm »

Oh man that sarcasm almost flew right past me.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 824