Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944815 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4650 on: July 01, 2016, 12:59:10 am »

...If your goal with your movie is literally for the audience to not care, then you have already failed. I'm sorry MSH. But if you are intentionally trying to get them to be apathetic towards your movie, you really may as well not try. More so if the actual characters themselves don't even care. Where's the investment in the story, then?

The whole thing about grimdark is that you care. You don't stop caring because it's necessary. It's entirely possible to care and still be utterly cold and not let it factor into your decisions if they would diminish your ability to make plans, if that's what's necessary.

You show the audience what's going on, they think it's terrible, and that's a good thing. That's the point of the setting. You find the Imperium revolting at first. And then you see what they're going up against, bit by bit, and it starts to make more sense, bit by bit. You start to realize just how dark this world is that this is necessary, and that this is the best possible scenario. And then you see the Tau, and it gets even fucking darker, because you start wondering if maybe it's not the only way after all, and then you notice the Orwellian stuff and you get a bit creeped out because now you have to choose between Nazis In Space and 3984.

And then the Orks provide a bit of comic relief so you don't become clinically depressed. And then some more cool fighting scenes or Inquisiting or exposition or whatever.

Also, you really don't need or want much setting exposition with 40k. Information is so heavily guarded anyway, that it wouldn't make much sense to show the audience that. Let them have that thrill of discovery and exploring the setting. World-building is my biggest love in stories, and why I love alternate history and sci fi more than certain fantasy (which tends to be Tolkien 7.whatever or modern times). Give that to 'em in the movie. Build the world organically. They'll figure it out if you're half-decent about it. Don't even need to stick to the categories/values and shit listed in the codices, necessarily, either. Bring back Rokkas, if you want.

I mean, hell, if you want to be really crazy, you could even...have consistency! I was initially gonna say advance the plot but then nobody would take me the slightest bit seriously; movies aren't supposed to have plot anyway. Just explosions. Michael Bay should totally direct the 40k movie. All 40k fans would love the result. Right?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: July 01, 2016, 01:24:15 am »

You have to be able to adjust lasgun power settings, it's a solar-powered laser. Lasers are inherently adjustable, including to the point that the power source explodes and/or lens melts.

Dude they straight-up turn a dial to make them instagib CSM's. Free hotshot lasers, why not.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: July 01, 2016, 03:12:00 am »

First movie should be from the POV of the Orks.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: July 01, 2016, 04:02:42 am »

First movie should be from the POV of the Orks.

AND ZE HUMIEZ GOT KRUMPED, EVEN RED ONES AND TINCANNED ONES. AND EVERY BOI GOT ENUFF DAKKA AND TEEEF FROM RED COGBOI HUMIEZ AND CANNED HUMIEZ. AND EVERYONE HAD DA BIG FOIGHT AND WAZ HAPPY.

Ze end of WAAAAAAAGHH 1 - LOOTIN FROM RED HUMIEZ CUNNIN AS MEKZ AND TINCANNED HUMIEZ BRUTAL AS NOBS.
Watch the WAAAAAAGH 2 - BOSS, DA BLAHD REVHEN HUMIEZ STOLE ALL OUR LOOT in august of 2016.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: July 01, 2016, 05:16:21 am »

...If your goal with your movie is literally for the audience to not care, then you have already failed. I'm sorry MSH. But if you are intentionally trying to get them to be apathetic towards your movie, you really may as well not try. More so if the actual characters themselves don't even care. Where's the investment in the story, then?

Someone wasn't listening. The point is that in a movie about superhumans fighting aliens, the audience shouldn't be thinking "Oh these poor souls in the background, look how downtrodden they are", they should be thinking "Hurrah for the space marines, saviour of the weak!".  They should be caring about the main characters, not the theoretical background misery.

The Avengers doesn't focus on the life of Bryan Halford, 34, whose car is landed on by a superhero and destroyed, leaving him in a financially perilous situation which will lead to a downward spiral into bankruptcy. Because while that's there, it's not what the story is about.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: July 01, 2016, 09:21:45 am »

No, but it does bring up the story of what's-her-face, whose son died as a result of the teams actions. It becomes somewhat of a central plot point as to why he feels so guilty.

You said a story of the Imperium. You didn't say 'of Space Marines'. You seem to think it should be an action movie first and foremost, without establishing the setting beforehand. That's the impression I'm getting. I think it should build up to that point.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: July 01, 2016, 09:35:38 am »

However that history comes back as a whole new movie because the first movie wasn't about it. You could adapt it to 40K with some people joining chaos out of the hate of loss, perhaps blaming the SM or whatever, and that would be another movie.

Thing is you can have hypothetically any kind of movie within the 40k lore, from thriller to suspense and horror, action and hell even drama-romantic ones (emphasis on drama, don't expect too many happy endings) where a last minute run to the spaceport can be the romantic gesture that finally wins her heart, and right after the guy get violently pulped into soylent by the Adeptus Arbites for violating spaceport security. The only kind of movies I don't really see in the setting are romantic comedy or a straight up comedy.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: July 01, 2016, 09:40:44 am »

The Dark Eldar can probably come up with some dark comedy, and some imperial guard units too. The cain novels kinda have their funny side. You could totally make an action thriller with some comedy bits using ciaphas cain.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: July 01, 2016, 09:47:03 am »

Oh for sure, but a pure comedy movie? Doubt it. Chiapas Cain would be hilarious but action packed and easy to follow.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4659 on: July 01, 2016, 10:00:48 am »

The only kind of movies I don't really see in the setting are romantic comedy
Highborn nobles on Hive World bullshit, though I'm not really sure why would you want to set it in WH40k when you can have regular Romantic Comedy. It's possible, but pretty much doesn't make sense.
or a straight up comedy.
I see Orks daily life happening in short comedy movies accompanying the main ones (Warhammer Animated Universe when?) like those.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: July 01, 2016, 10:09:42 am »

Oh ye, you can totally make a full comedy movie out of ork daily life and still be 100% faithful to 40k canon.

PROTECT DA SHINY BRIDGES BOYZ
ORKS IZ BEST
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: July 01, 2016, 10:12:34 am »

I'd say a CGI animated series a la clone wars would work best for 40K. You can have multiple story lines and one-offs, and could present the majestic scale when needed without needing a stupidly big budget. Get some decent writers on that, a high enough budget to at least look not shit (I'd prefer Clone Wars level budget, but if it's on the level of Star Wars Rebels I could live with it) and some good voice actors who can ham it up when needed, and I think you'd be set.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: July 01, 2016, 10:26:16 am »

A Netflix series would be great. 13 episodes or more following several characters, all of whose actions affects the others even if they don't know it. A world under attack by a Chaos rebellion. A guardsman on the front line, weary and tired. A noblewoman who should sitting on the top of the capital, instead thrust into the underhive. A cultist who's having second thoughts about the Chaos gods. Perhaps an inquisitor, a priest or something similar. Just noting.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: July 01, 2016, 11:04:17 am »

Oh ye, you can totally make a full comedy movie out of ork daily life and still be 100% faithful to 40k canon.

PROTECT DA SHINY BRIDGES BOYZ
ORKS IZ BEST

The entire story is about an Ork Kaptin who wants to blast a likeness of his face into a moon.

Too bad that moon is an Imperial Outpost.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4664 on: July 01, 2016, 11:54:58 am »

And then it turns out that THAT'S NO MOON and it's actually Necron superweapon.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 824