Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971390 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5220 on: August 08, 2016, 05:58:47 am »

There are also brains in jars. Brains in jars everywhere.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: August 08, 2016, 07:03:07 am »

We already had this conversation a few weeks ago I think, nuclear toasters were involved if memory serves.

Whatever machine spirits be (demons, c'tan, brains with chips, chips with brains, brains in jars...) they are very real for somethings like vehicles, ships and anything big/important enough to warrant having one. For the rest of things is most probably just superstition. According to the mechanicus a nail clipper, being a machine has a machine spirit. Other things like a lasgun are more gray since they could potentially have voice activated commands that the "prayers" could engage to correctly operate the weapon for example.

As always in 40k it can range from wild superstition, passing by actual technology, to real demons or anything between or beyond.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:09:14 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: August 08, 2016, 07:14:05 am »

@andres: I see a lotta spaghetti with no sauce.
Forgive me if I ain't swallowing it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5223 on: August 08, 2016, 07:54:35 am »

In The Grim Darkness Of Far Future, There Is No Sauce, Only Headcanon... also convincing people your Headcanon is best one.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: August 08, 2016, 08:10:28 am »

How can you call tau expansion great crusade 2.0?
It is like calling every ork waaaaaagh great crusade 2.0 ORKY edition.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: August 08, 2016, 08:10:50 am »

In The Grim Darkness Of Far Future, There Is No Sauce, Only Headcanon... also convincing people your Headcanon is best one.

I love headcanon, best canon. My fav is the Akashic writer theory
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as fonud here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?170482-Mechanicum-*SPOILER-ALERT*-(No-seriously-massive-spoilers)&p=3069649&viewfull=1#post3069649

but now site's ded

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: August 08, 2016, 08:46:29 am »

Those AIs would be in a similar boat to Tau, who practically don't have souls.  Too young.  That's why the Tau are mostly immune to chaos corruption, and possibly why they have to use shitty realspace travel instead of the warp.  Though the Ethereals might have some kind of psychic power, they're weird.  Might not be warp related.
It is just pure inspiration, comrade

Do you not believe in the True Message of the Ethereals? That is okay. We all doubt sometimes. The Enthusiasm Assistance Centers are just down the street, just say Aun'nel Trustbound sent you. They'll fix you right up.
(Wait, "Aun'nel" would be... talking to a gue'vesa??  So egalitarian!)
"Oh thank you, I'll report right away!  I didn't realize I was faltering, but if you say so!"

What's silly is that I was thinking of stuff like the holo clones ethereals can summon in Dawn of War, which are almost certainly just advanced technology not psychic power.  I wasn't even actually questioning the love for Ethereals.  They're just great!

I guess for "win conditions", Tau would need a better FTL drive.  That would let them find even better minor race allies, and probably kick off that afore-mentioned geometric expansion.  Especially since Tau can sometimes annex human worlds through diplomacy (backed by military power).  They really just need raw numbers to utilize their tech advantages, imagine if they managed to win a full hive world.  Gue'vesa in Imperial Guard numbers but with pulse rifles, mmm...  Imperium would have to devote a lot of resources they can't afford.

If they did overrun the galaxy they'd have countless safely-regulated psychers, the STCs, and extremely advanced understanding of biomorphic organisms from their Kroot.  So I could see them taking on the Tyrannid mother fleet.
(maybe even find a way to purge defeated Ork spores with nanites... nah, Orks are eternal.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: August 08, 2016, 08:52:31 am »

FACT: Machine Spirits are the daemons of the Void Dragon and are poised to turn against humanity at any moment.
Yeah, no. It's quite likely that the Dragon can control machine spirits, but C'Tan are purely material beings and don't have any sort of warp presence.

Also machine spirits only exist in human machines.

How can you call tau expansion great crusade 2.0?
It is like calling every ork waaaaaagh great crusade 2.0 ORKY edition.
Ghazkull seems to be going that way, though.

If they did overrun the galaxy they'd have countless safely-regulated psychers, the STCs, and extremely advanced understanding of biomorphic organisms from their Kroot.  So I could see them taking on the Tyrannid mother fleet.
How would they have safe psykers? They don't have much knowledge of the warp (and the integrated humans won't have much either since the Inquisition handles these things), so they wouldn't even know how to do it. They'd also need to deal with genestealer cults in addition to Chaos and Imperial ones. And it is unlikely STCs would be available to be used because: 1) They're pretty damn rare and the Imperium would go apeshit if they knew the Tau were holding one; and 2) It's human tech, and only humans can use human tech because machine spirits.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5228 on: August 08, 2016, 09:06:35 am »

Speaking of Ork Great Crusade, that was The Beast. He set up the clans, they mass-produced guns and vehicles better than Eldar stuff and he himself was imcredibly fucking powerful huge dude that could scare sectors into submission with his psyker Waaaaagh belief shouting powers... aaannnddd Ork diplomats.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:08:21 am by Kot »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: August 08, 2016, 09:11:12 am »

I meant as a very-end scenario where they managed to defeat and absorb the Imperium.  Massively theorycrafting, but the Tau have science.  Given the resources of the Imperium, I think they'd be able to safely study chaos and learn how to properly safeguard psychers.  Which sounds crazy, but the Imperium partly manages it with ancient artifacts (from before the heresy, right?), that haven't been improved in millenia.  Also helps that the Tau themselves wouldn't be vulnerable to corruption, just the gue'vesa (and Eldar?) volunteers.

Course that's all waaay off the deep end.  Mostly I just meant that Tau need better FTL to have a chance of actual relevancy :P

Imperium would have to devote a lot of resources they can't afford.
If Imperium is unable to afford something then really noone is.
That's the only reason they suffer the Tau to still exist, though, they're harried on all sides of their unbelievably large borders (and from within).  Mostly by Chaos and Orks, also occasional hive fleets which devastate SM chapters and local naval forces.
So the relatively harmless blue goats get to survive for now, even as they slowly absorb a few backwater worlds with their heresy.  Heresy that isn't Chaos, so it's lower priority heresy.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: August 08, 2016, 09:13:18 am »

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5231 on: August 08, 2016, 09:20:22 am »

Eldar volunteers
Haha, wut.
You're as naive as the Tau themselves. All I can think of now is that one time when Tau did diplomacy with Dark Eldar.
If anything, it's Eldar who would use Tau as cannon fodder, considering it's highly possible it was them who supplied Tau with Ethereals and proably helped them with tech.
Ork diplomats.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I shit you not, they even spoke perfect High Gothic.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: August 08, 2016, 09:24:46 am »

If anything, it's Eldar who would use Tau as cannon fodder, considering it's highly possible it was them who supplied Tau with Ethereals and proably helped them with tech.
Ooh, that would be a good twist.  Maybe I focus too much on the video games, but Eldar plans generally seem REALLY stupid.  Would be great for them to finally reveal something that impressive.
She/they

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: August 08, 2016, 09:59:34 am »

Well there was that one time a hive tendril was about to converge with another, so the council of Uthwe teleported the whole damn thing to macragge.
That was pretty baller IMO.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: August 08, 2016, 10:08:06 am »

Also that time they poisoned a Tau world so the 'nids that ate them would be weakened and unable to kill a Craftworld they were going to collide with.

Eldar plans do usually make sense, but only if you remember they don't actually have a long term goal beyond protecting their spirit stones rather than beating Chaos or keeping the Necrons asleep. Pretty much everything they do is done out of the belief it'll protect a couple of Eldar lives or prevent spirit stones being destroyed, if Chaos gets a leg up on the Imperium as a result so be it, not like the Eldar care about humans.

The whole Ynnead thing is only believed in by some Eldar, most just concern themselves with survival.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 824