Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965227 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #5985 on: August 25, 2016, 03:15:12 pm »

Wait...Railheads? Does that mean somebody actually uses Ionheads?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: August 25, 2016, 03:18:21 pm »

Does that mean somebody actually uses Ionheads?
Don't they are like supper SM killers?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:37 pm »

Does that mean somebody actually uses Ionheads?
Don't they are like supper SM killers?
They're amazing for it, and with more Marines than Guardsmen at any given tournament...

I mean, Riptides are better for that purpose, but Ionheads have their own set of uses (first and foremost being that no one can say you're just cheesing Riptides :P).
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: August 26, 2016, 04:39:57 am »

First rule of tau; ALWAYS HAVE MARKERLIGHTS. They're what make you absolutely fearsome. Especially when you teach those fucking cover-campers what you think of their tactics.

The problem is that lets say you have 2 4-man pathfinders, a stealth unit with a marker drone, and the fireblade's markerlight. Fair enough in a reasonably-sized game

That means you have 8 shots at bs3 (assuming you start with pathfinders), 1 at bs2, and 1 at bs5 (if you dont want him to be shooting actual shots).

On average you'll get, say 4 markerlight uses, but we'll say 5 here, assuming perfect lines of sight. To get your Hamhock to a decent accuracy (I'd take BS5 personally), you use 2. To strip that 3+ cover save, you need to use another 2. All that to get a 50% chance of a penetrating hit (AV14/STR10), let alone if your opponent's being a bastard and it has a psychic invulnervable save.

Let alone the fact that if you point all the markerlights at the tank, you aren't using them on anything else.

I dont know where I'm going with it but I guess it's that even the most anti-cover army in the game short of a Titans list needs to tweak for maximum markerlights if you're going to hide in the bushes.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: August 26, 2016, 05:21:22 am »

Maybe. Though four-man pathfinder teams is a waste of a FA slot. Add the fact that the tau have a dataslate formation for drones so that they can bring in. 48 markerlights is nothing to take for granted.

That being said, the options in your example are... sub-optimal. Mostly due to the woefully undersized pathfinder teams. Pathfinder teams are best brought in as large as possible; it's not that expensive to do so points-wise given the mandatory devilfish they need to take. And the marker drone hasn't got target lock so if it's part of a squad it's firing at whatever they are (Mind you, stealth squads take up an elites slot better used for crisis suits/riptides. So you aren't likely to see many being used because of that.)

Finally, Hammerheads are BS4 base, and a non-vanquisher leman russ has a slightly worse time going toe-to-toe with a hammerhead, what with AV13 being hit with STR 8 and lacking AP1 to go with it. And with distruption pods a thing, that hammerhead has a constant cover save. Welcome to hell gue'la :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: August 26, 2016, 06:15:10 am »

I'm currently participating in a quest where we're the planetary governor of a warp-touched death world. We're moving into a new region based on ancient Egypt and we're currently thinking up what kind of horrible gribblies are going to be present while the GM takes notes. Are there any sources on the Warp or desert death worlds where we can get inspiration from?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: August 26, 2016, 06:52:26 am »

Giant mogolian death worm
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: August 26, 2016, 06:58:59 am »

Tomb Kings recycled IN SPACE!... err I'm mean Necrons?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: August 26, 2016, 07:04:53 am »

As I remember, Tallarn was invaded not long after becoming desert world, and it turned out, that whole invasion was to uncover long forgotten temple of Slaanesh hidden under the sands.
Might want to look into this.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: August 26, 2016, 07:34:11 am »

Giant mogolian death worm
We kind of have them in our starting location.

Tomb Kings recycled IN SPACE!... err I'm mean Necrons?
The last Necrons to try got bitchslapped by the wildlife. They only brought enough troops to fight the human defenders.

As I remember, Tallarn was invaded not long after becoming desert world, and it turned out, that whole invasion was to uncover long forgotten temple of Slaanesh hidden under the sands.
Might want to look into this.

I will look into this. Sounds interesting.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: August 26, 2016, 07:58:02 am »

For anyone wondering, Andres is talking about Embers In The Dusk: A Warhammer 43K Quest., I'd suggest you read it when you're bored, if at least for the absurd GOVERNOR ROTBART, GODDAMN BADASS and AVERNUS, THE ABSURD DEATHWORLD.
Also for the variety of really high quality omakes, seriously, they're really good.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5996 on: August 26, 2016, 08:10:11 am »

Giant antlions.
Nuclear weaponry hidden under surface.
Sand salt giants.
Man-animal hybrids.
GIANT CROCODILES.
Slanneshi jihad terrorists and suicide bombers.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: August 26, 2016, 09:56:35 am »

Surface-krieg?
Technically a chaos desert.
Or an irradiated badlands. Same thing right?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5998 on: August 26, 2016, 10:04:26 am »

Mutant mummy Egyptians that have lived in bunkers under desert for millenia and now will get an Cease & Desist letter from Necrons Thousand Sons.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: August 26, 2016, 11:42:35 am »

Dont forget him,Cato Sicarius, captain of the second company of ultramarine chapter, jumping out of the drop pod in critical moment and defeating Magnus and eldar phoenix lord by his supreme fencing skills.
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 824