Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965523 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8115 on: January 21, 2017, 11:12:27 am »

IIRC Imperium and Eldar when Emps were around attempted to establish alliances, especially through the work of the Emps and Eldrad who were both respectively some of the foremost psykers in the galaxy

Eldrad's attempts at diplomacy mostly failed because a lot of the primarchs he tried to talk with had turned to chaos

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: January 21, 2017, 01:35:26 pm »

True re: science, and we could've seen a lot more Tau/Necron reverse engineering (like we're seeing with the sexy modern deathwatch)

But I recall literally part of the imperial creed was the "supremacy of man" and "intolerance of alien agendas"
I thought the reason diplomacy between the humans and Eldar broke down was because Emps decided "no matter how friendly/subservient they are now, they will always put the needs of their own race above the needs of man".

Of course, my sources for all this jazz are foggy at best

It is not like there is a point in reverse engineering tau technology, as it is not that much advanced to begin with. And adeptus mechanicus can somewhat easily reverse engineer even necron tech, when they really want it( there is guy, who reverse engineered and actively uses necron phase shifting  in mechanicus codex/ calidus  phase blades are made by mechanicus/ during war of the beast lord fabricator of Mars mixed ork tech and necron tech to the point of achieving ability to teleport moons and planets)

After all, quite often mechanicus members are genetically designed to have outstanding intellect, then get biomodded during their centuries long lifes and get extra 5-6 vat grown brains + arcane circuitry to push the limits even further.

The reason of eldar-human diplomacy breaking down is first record of contact attempt during great crusade being instant shuriken fire upon explorator team( because that is the only acceptable way for biel-tan to deal with mon-keighs), also dark eldar reputation did not add up love to eldar in general.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: January 21, 2017, 05:19:26 pm »

It is not like there is a point in reverse engineering tau technology, as it is not that much advanced to begin with.
'More better safer plasma rifles' would be my start and finish, really.

Sick of losing guardsmen.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: January 21, 2017, 05:21:18 pm »

You mean the plasma rifles that inevitably give their users cancer, and they don't notice only because they tend to get killed first?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8119 on: January 21, 2017, 05:22:59 pm »

You mean the plasma rifles that inevitably give their users cancer, and they don't notice only because they tend to get killed first?
I don't think that's a concern for the Imperium given the average lifespan of the guardsman

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: January 21, 2017, 05:23:21 pm »

What is the point of something that doesn't eventually kill the user?

You know... is it bad that I am joking... but I could be 100% serious?

Heck I am sure the water in Warhammer 40k has a chance of instantly killing you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8121 on: January 21, 2017, 05:25:52 pm »

Drinking the water that filters through the leaves in Catachan will instantly kill you

Too many parasites

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: January 21, 2017, 05:29:18 pm »

Clean water is usually safe in 40k.

Death worlds, toxic environments and the like of course do not have much clean water. On some Hive Worlds it's polluted enough to eat holes in metal boats, so it generally melts your throat and lips when you try to drink it and it needs to be heavily processed by the cities before anyone can drink it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: January 21, 2017, 05:31:05 pm »

"Inevitably die from cancer" seems preferable to "Instantly die from hole-in-chest"
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8124 on: January 21, 2017, 05:31:23 pm »

Clean water is usually safe in 40k.

Death worlds, toxic environments and the like of course do not have much clean water. On some Hive Worlds it's polluted enough to eat holes in metal boats, so it generally melts your throat and lips when you try to drink it and it needs to be heavily processed by the cities before anyone can drink it.
Alternatively, generations of mutation has allowed you to drink acid, upon which you're probably kidnapped by a magos biologist for studying

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8125 on: January 21, 2017, 05:35:02 pm »

Imperial Plasma Rifles don't cause cancer.
Tau Ion Weapons do. Ion Weapons still kinda count as Plasma weaponry but they operate on a different principle.
On the other hand Imperial Radium weaponry used by Skitarii... well, it doesn't exactly cause cancer, your flesh just melts off before that.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8126 on: January 21, 2017, 05:36:48 pm »

Imperial plasma rifles do have a tendency to get hot though

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #8127 on: January 21, 2017, 05:50:32 pm »

Yeah, but don't make them seem more deadly to the user than they are. I mean, exploding your whole squad is one thing, but cancer? That's awful, man.

And since we're talking Imperial Plasma technology - it supposedly doesn't have to be like this, Mechanicus have rare examples of non-overheating Plasma weaponry. They proably could make them but nobody knows how to anymore. It should be noted that supposedly Ryza pattern Plasma weaponry overheats less than Mars-pattern. Speculation based on how the models look links it to the muzzle, Mars-pattern have fuckhuge holes which don't make sense, while Ryza pattern have much smaller exit holes for the Plasma.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8128 on: January 21, 2017, 05:55:03 pm »

What's significant is making plasma weapons that don't require tank sized cooling. Hence why Imperial Guard massive plasma cannons are fine whilst guard-sized plasma cannons blow up from overuse. Then you got those dickhead unexpected inquisitors wielding plasma cannons that fit on their rings, or those space monkeys crafting handheld plasma bananas

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: January 21, 2017, 08:10:13 pm »

Imperial plasma weapons usually only overheat when used too often or overcharged. Normal use of their lower settings doesn't usually cause explosions or excess coolant venting into your face. The Imperium just generally prefers damage over safety and orders their forces to use the guns on their higher settings, because guardsmen are cheap and plasma is usually used on high value targets like Meganobs or Chaos Terminators, so you need to make your shots count even if it risks the operator.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 824