Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965195 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: No Such Thing As A Free Bolter, But Heresy's Everywhere!
« Reply #8925 on: June 05, 2017, 10:01:03 pm »

In fluff Luther of Caliban is also a demi-Marine.

Derp, missed the new posts.

Looks like an iOS game?

I knew they were making it. Didn't really pay attention though since I've had a hard time getting into Armada.

But I still feel like they easily did their due diligence with Armada. It's a high quality game I just have a hard time getting into the gameplay of, and they did most of the fixins by adding in everything but Tyranids.
It is quite fun.

Just, for the love of the Emperor, don't fight Orks.

Both they and the Imperium specialize in close combat. Only they're better at it.

I fought the Space Hulk by torpedo spam.

I find that if I play with the Tactical Cogitator on constantly, it's a semi-tedious game where I spend my time microadjusting everything and wishing it would go faster. When the TC is not on, I feel like I miss a billion corrections I should be making if my APM weren't shit. Battles take forever and yet I don't feel more comfortable playing it any faster. So it's hard for me to find the right balance of play I enjoy. I respect and enjoy all frankly amazing technical and mechanical crunchiness of it as a game, it's exactly my kind of thing. The minute to minute gameplay though....I dunno. Haven't played it since I bought it, I've been meaning to go back and give it more time.

I feel like if BFG had been built as a strictly SP game I would have loved it, no questions asked. Where you'd have a nice 1x to 10x time scale to play with. But overall the game feels like it's designed for MP first in how it handles and plays and it kind of lost me for that.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:08:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: June 06, 2017, 04:44:01 pm »

So I decided to start tabletopping and looked through 8th codex and... Chaos space marines have just 3 general magics and 3 magic spells for each god?  ???

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: June 06, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »

So I decided to start tabletopping and looked through 8th codex and... Chaos space marines have just 3 general magics and 3 magic spells for each god?  ???

The indices are placeholders, everything is actually rather barebones right now. Kinda like AoS before each individual army book comes out. There's going to be actual codexes sooner or later.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: June 06, 2017, 07:33:25 pm »

Any opinions about Battlefleet Gothic Leviathan? Now that necrons are out? The game now have 4 out of what? 8 raíces?
It has Imperial Navy, Space Marines, Tyranids and Necron.

Its missing Orks, chaos, Tau and Eldar.

Con the other hand armada have almost all raíces but necrons and tyranids, but it's sadly dead on the water.
There's another Battlefleet Gothic game?

I've been having quite a bit of trouble with Orks in Armada.
Yes there is. It's an Android and IOS game. It's quite fun actually for a mobile game, and with a tad more polish it could become a full pc game. It's the most literal translation of the TT game with only a few minor differences.

It has an IN campaign, a short SM one and a short Necron one.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: June 07, 2017, 04:29:47 pm »

Got to play 40k tabletop for first time  :)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: June 07, 2017, 04:37:07 pm »

Cool. Hope you had fun. It's a good game at the core, but it gets... annoying at times.

What armies where being used? I'm going to guess at least one type of space marines was involved, the things are like cockroaches, they get everywhere.  :P
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: June 07, 2017, 04:54:35 pm »

Cool. Hope you had fun. It's a good game at the core, but it gets... annoying at times.

What armies where being used? I'm going to guess at least one type of space marines was involved, the things are like cockroaches, they get everywhere.  :P

Well, my army design was a bit strange : chaos sorcerer, Ahriman, Typhus, and terminator lord( and terminator lord and chaos sorcerer died on the first turn :(),
 my friend fielded 25 eldar incubi with claivexes.
Somehow  Typhus and Ahriman managed to nearly win by killing 23/25 dark eldar incubi. (but Typhus suddenly lost favour of the dice god and rolled 1 on saves twice)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: June 09, 2017, 12:25:59 pm »

I really hate how much GW pushes bolters on the standard minis. Bought BoP for the MKIII marines and the Custodes to add to my BTs, and despite providing chainswords for every marine, they're designed to be worn attached to the back while the model uses a bolter, which is infuriating!  >:(

It's like they don't want people to make Assault Squads or Crusader Squads. Give me some affordable pistol and sword arms you daft gits!

Wouldn't be so bad if Crusaders could have bolter and sword, but it's one or the other, so now I either need to shell out money on FW MKIII melee arms to keep the look, buy a ton of BT conversion kits or buy tons of Assault Squad arms.

EDIT: On a less annoyed note, I've finished two Sword Brethren for the force.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For those not aware, they are the Templars equivalent of a normal chapter's 1st Company. The Templars have no formal 1st Company, instead they have the Sword Brethren. The Sword Bethren are appointed by the leader of their Crusade Force, usually a Marshal, sometimes a Castellan, and rarely the High Marshal himself, from among those who have shown skill and valour in battle, and they become members of the leaders household. They serve as the honour guard of their commander, are the terminators of the Black Templars, and occasionally lead squads of Initiates and Neophytes.

They don't have rules anymore, since the Templars got rolled into the normal marine codex, but Honour Guard, Command Squads and Terminator units all represent the basic idea just fine. I plan to have one for each unit of Crusaders I'm making (5 or 6) and a unit to serve as the Honour Guard for my Marhsal.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:10:32 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8933 on: June 09, 2017, 07:28:25 pm »

I love their angry "purging with my kin" style

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: June 09, 2017, 07:31:19 pm »

I love their angry "purging with my kin" style

I think I like Black Templars mostly because they're basically loyalist Khorne Berzerkers.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: June 09, 2017, 07:35:21 pm »

Most loyalist spessmarhiens seem pretty khorny tbh.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: June 09, 2017, 07:56:09 pm »

They lack the sheer ferocity, hate and willingness to rush across no-man's-land as heavy weapons fire sprays across your lines like the wrath of a manticore just so you can feel the visceral thrill of killing your enemies hand to hand and stare into their eyes as your blade bites into their flesh and sprays their blood into the air like the brush of an abrstract painter.

The rough equivalents to Khorne marines among loyalists are the Templars, the Space Wolves Skyclaws and Blood Claws, who serve as their neophyte (scouts and their equivalents) squads, and the Death Company of the Blood Angels.

Honorary mentions go to Blood Angels in general and Wulfen.

Most other loyalists are more calm headed and prefer to stick to ranged combat, even the Space Wolves usually prefer guns to swords once they get a few decades of service under their belt beard.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: June 09, 2017, 11:48:10 pm »

Ah, Black Templar. Who used to have the beautiful rules of 'No psykers anywhere near us ever, friends or otherwise' and 'If we get shot we charge, our turn or otherwise'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: June 10, 2017, 04:04:12 pm »

BTs: In a galactic empire full of religious zealotry, racial hatred and mass murder/death, we will show you all how it's done.

Sometimes I think if you scraped the paint off BT armor, you'd find an Angry Marine underneath.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: June 12, 2017, 01:45:08 pm »

Any ideas on beating dark eldar in 8th edition 25 power rating game?

Their ammount of invulns  -1 to hit  and extra snowflake saves stacking is just insane same as their weaponry and mobility.
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 824