Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965297 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: A comparative biology of Beastmen.
« Reply #10185 on: February 28, 2018, 04:23:51 pm »

FWIW, under the old Black Library competitions, the rules were essentially the same. If you submit it, they own it.

But they were also a lot more forthcoming with a publishing opportunity for a winning submission. As in "if you win, we'll publish it and pay you." On the old BL forums I think they even quote a price per page figure.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10186 on: March 04, 2018, 03:39:56 am »

How does the Tau Empire deal with the various peoples living under it?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: March 04, 2018, 03:49:39 am »

Theocracy and a rigid caste system. Client species are not citizen species, but all have a part to play for the Greater GoodTM
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10188 on: March 04, 2018, 10:10:24 am »

And general kindness, or populism.

They give away freshly acquired lands (sometimes taken by force from their former owners, wow they are indeed communists) and offer luxuries that in the case of humans, the Imperium can't really provide, like living above 40 years and relative freedom.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10189 on: March 04, 2018, 10:22:40 am »

Different strategies for different peoples. Some intense regulation, others benign neglect

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: March 04, 2018, 12:59:57 pm »

Yeah, depends on which propaganda you listen to, as with most things in this universe.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: March 04, 2018, 01:30:28 pm »

Comes down to the Tau trying to adopt whatever aspects of Greater Good are comprehensible by a particular species. Humans get the utopian vision, kroot get the evolution through conflict, and you really wouldn't want to confuse the two.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10192 on: March 04, 2018, 01:37:04 pm »

What is the actual greater good, other than a tau-administrated empire?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: March 04, 2018, 01:47:09 pm »

Post-apocalyptic harmony, essentially. A civilization where everybody has a known utility and purpose, eliminating the potential for conflict and thus creating a world without evil.

Though it isn't brought up much, the Tau are more or less coming from a background of endless internal genocide and strongly want to avoid it returning.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10194 on: March 04, 2018, 04:16:57 pm »

Humans get the utopian vision
In my vision of an Utopia I retain my balls. Also Utopia kinda becomes an Dystopia when you realize you are a low-level pawn of a species which future revolves around your demise, so they can have more "lebensraum" for themselves, they just let you die off a natural death because they don't really want to spare resources to kill you faster, and that the species itself is literally mind-controlled by a few weird beings for reasons unknown. But hey, you can retain your faith in God Emperor so you can spit on everything he did even more by still praying to him while killing other humans because xenos tell you to.

What is the actual greater good, other than a tau-administrated empire?
Mind control by Ethereals and an oppresive state of forced fake happiness.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: March 04, 2018, 04:21:20 pm »

The funny thing about opinions is that they can e changed.  A few rounds in the ole reinforcement regime will do that.

And praying the the god-emperor himself is kind of spitting on the poor guy.  the tau are happy to let you embrace your ignorance (and theirs) while they take your humanity away and go pre WWII democrat on your gonads.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10196 on: March 04, 2018, 04:24:18 pm »

And praying the the god-emperor himself is kind of spitting on the poor guy.
At least in Imperium you're technically going somewhere near the direction he wouldn't consider outright wrong by helping humanity to retain it's supremacy in space, even if the mission got watered down due to time and noone to enforce it around.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: March 07, 2018, 12:11:11 pm »

Micromanagement and slight understanding of xenos politics, but their empire is small. If it get any bigger, they'll discover the hard way how aliens the aliens are.

I'm pretty sure the humans went there too at some point and failed, concluding that interspecies alliances do not hold for long. That and the Emperor haiving priorities.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:13:25 pm by Boltgun »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: March 07, 2018, 12:39:44 pm »

There were human/xeno civilisations in the period after the Long Night, but they were generally very deviant from normal humans physically, mentally or genetically. Most seemed to be fairly stable, like the Interex and their xeno-vassals, but it was implied most had humans under xenos rather than humans dominant or on an equal footing. Humans can coexist with various xenos species, but generally there's a big ethical/moral gulf that needs crossed so it's usually done by chaos tainted beings in 40k.

The way Tau actually interact with their client races has not really been explored other than the Kroot and the Vespid. The Vespid are enslaved by mind control helmets, and the Kroot don't follow the Greater Good philosophy* but feel a racial debt to the Tau for saving their homeworld resulting in a loyal mercenary/client relationship. Humans presumably live normalish lives other than being barred from most positions in society that are occupied by different Tau castes or more favoured client races.

*It conflicts with their survival of the fittest philosophy, and Tau forbade them to ever eat Tau flesh, presmably due to a combination of finding it gross and worrying what might happen if they ate Ethereals.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: March 07, 2018, 12:52:51 pm »

come to think of it, couldnt a sm om nom on an ethereal and gain its memory?
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 824