Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965488 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Baby's first Exterminatus.
« Reply #10575 on: October 10, 2018, 05:28:36 pm »

Model paints are hard to strip cleanly, it generally requires a toothbrush and some vigorous scrubbing. It's not much of a finesse job.

I could redo his head with just two/three layers and a wash, but that'd leave it looking off colour compared to the other skin even with the same paints on the upper layers, and then I'd need to redo his eyes/scars and maybe his horns if I'm not careful.

You can kind of see the same effect on his left leg around the heel, I had to patch that area after gripping him there to paint some of his details and it's slightly darker than the surrounding skin.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10576 on: October 10, 2018, 06:11:47 pm »

I use Simple Green to clean old models, but even that requires a toothpick to pry the latex out of the deepest detail sections.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10577 on: October 12, 2018, 08:25:30 pm »

Apparently the C'tan drive is pretty crap, so they've just taken a page from the Thousand Sons and just started using the webway.

Y'know, if it wasn't dangerous enough before.
Wait, what do the Thousand Sons do? Can you give a source?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10578 on: October 12, 2018, 08:35:03 pm »

In my days the Necrons used to have a "reactionless drive", which was like the pinnacle of pure tech from this dimension, as in we don't resort on any inter dimensional crap.

This drive allowed them to have instant acceleration to speeds beyond of that of light for long trips.

Now they are Tomb Kings recycled on Space don't know if it's still like that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10579 on: October 13, 2018, 12:45:06 am »

In my days the Necrons used to have a "reactionless drive", which was like the pinnacle of pure tech from this dimension, as in we don't resort on any inter dimensional crap.

This drive allowed them to have instant acceleration to speeds beyond of that of light for long trips.

Now they are Tomb Kings recycled on Space don't know if it's still like that.
Nah, they’re restricted to hijacking the Webway with their Dolmen Gates, which honestly I never really liked. They’re -the- doesn’t have to use warp shit faction in 40k, they shouldn’t be shackled to the transport system the friggin Old Ones built.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10580 on: October 13, 2018, 02:43:43 am »

Wait, what do the Thousand Sons do? Can you give a source?
... Use the webway?
Most codexes, and the gathering storm loredumps I guess.
Iirc Ahriman recently taught Magnus how to do it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10581 on: October 13, 2018, 04:48:39 am »

Richard Boylan did a new short 40K short film. It’s pretty good: https://youtube.com/watch?v=6bgi5STRe8E

Just got around to watching this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10582 on: October 13, 2018, 07:07:53 am »

Are most lasguns so quickfire?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10583 on: October 13, 2018, 07:49:06 am »

What do you mean? They're basically equivalent to the autogun, which is just a futuristic automatic rifle
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10584 on: October 13, 2018, 07:57:19 am »

If a lazgun charge pack can last for ~90 shots or so . . .

and a gaurdsmon has 2-3 packs. . .

*shudders*
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10585 on: October 13, 2018, 09:04:56 am »

Lasgun RoF differs based on model and different regiments use different models. Some have a limiter to enforce fire discipline over a long engagement*, others prefer the ability to spray fire at the enemy and just assume the guardsman will die before he runs out of ammunition. Some have toggles to let the guardsman choose based on their own discretion.

A standard las weapon has 60 shots per clip and a guardsman carries three batteries.

*Also seen on Ogryn weapons because they fire their guns for fun as much as anything else.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10586 on: October 13, 2018, 12:50:45 pm »

I thought that a lasgun shot was supposed to hit considerably harder than a modern rifle. Like, "blows limbs off of unarmored humans". As such I assumed they were on par with autoguns in that they're more powerful, but fire slower.
Am I wrong about how powerful lasguns are? Do autoguns actually fire the equivalent of .50 cal? Are lasguns actually more powerful than autoguns overall?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10587 on: October 13, 2018, 01:01:20 pm »

A lasgun firing on full power can kill a Space Marine if it hits the neck joint, so it could probably blow a limb off a baseline human.

The real advantage over a rifle is that the human body is far less capable of dealing with thermal damage than ballistic damage. It's as bad as getting shot and fries the surrounding tissue, meaning that the chances of escaping without organ or artery damage is near-zero.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10588 on: October 13, 2018, 01:10:03 pm »

Yeah true, where a bullet might pass right through you, a laser will probably deposit all of its remaining energy, which will then spread because heat likes to spread out.
It's something like the difference between getting hit by a pistol and a shotgun. Some of those properties might make a lasgun of questionable use against something in armor designed to reflect light and keep the heat away from fleshy bits... it really would be like taking a flashlight to a gun fight.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10589 on: October 13, 2018, 01:25:51 pm »

I thought that a lasgun shot was supposed to hit considerably harder than a modern rifle. Like, "blows limbs off of unarmored humans". As such I assumed they were on par with autoguns in that they're more powerful, but fire slower.
Am I wrong about how powerful lasguns are? Do autoguns actually fire the equivalent of .50 cal? Are lasguns actually more powerful than autoguns overall?

In the RPGs the basic lasgun does 1d10+3, an autogun does 1d10+3 as well, the later editions added the ability to power up your las weapons with +1/2 damage and +1/2 penetration at the cost of 2x and 4x ammo consumption. There are also hotshot lascells that make a normal las weapon into a weaker hotshot lasgun but with way less shots and higher price.

The lasguns main advantage is how easy it is to get more ammo. You can plug a battery into any standard power source and get a full clip in a few hours, an autogun needs purchased ammo so you can't get it until you go shopping which eventually laves you with s glorified club0. The autogun also has a smaller clip of 30 so you need to reload more often, even if it's better at mowing down multiple weak enemies at once, which can be deadly in a firefight.

Both weapons are fine for fighting normal human grade enemies, like cultists or normal guardsmen, but become basically useless 1v1 against the more dangerous or well equipped enemies. Special ammo types extend the usefulness of the basic weapons, but there's basically no circumstance in which a basic lasgun or autogun can stop a marine without scoring the system's critical hit equivalent or a massive numbers advantage.

It's important to remember the novels that describe lasguns as blowing off limbs or punching right through power armour are generally older ones where the general power of weapons wasn't very concrete. More recent lasgun fluff desribes them either blowing little craters in flesh (generally against big monstery types) or boring a hole into the body that then causes death from the swelling of internal organs as a result of heat and trauma (from a medic's field injury guide from one of the big rulebooks.) Some stories just treat them like bullet based firearms.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 704 705 [706] 707 708 ... 824