Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965302 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10650 on: November 12, 2018, 03:45:59 pm »

Vulkan, Fulgrim, Ferrus Manus, Magnus, Mortarion,  Guilleman could into technology, probably even Angron and Russ had genetically built in inner technical genius, which they just did not use.

Btw Perturabo was nerd building working  clockwork models of titans and  enforcing his legion command to play tabletop great crusade with space marine miniatures

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10651 on: November 12, 2018, 03:49:18 pm »

Yes. Perturabo is literally a closeted, unfulfilled, bitter neckbeard poking fun at the 40k fan base.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10652 on: November 13, 2018, 05:26:13 am »

Someone called the Void Dragon a chaos god. This saddens me.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10653 on: November 13, 2018, 06:28:22 pm »

Someone called the Void Dragon a chaos god. This saddens me.

On the one hand, believe in something hard enough and it'll eventually become one.
on the other hand, C'tan are anathema to the warp.

So what happens when someone pours their belief into a C'tan?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10654 on: November 13, 2018, 07:09:24 pm »

A Chaos Entity that represents and superficially looks like a C'tan is created and given the appropriate chaos limitations and domains.

All hail the new Edgelord, God of Antipathy!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10655 on: November 13, 2018, 07:17:08 pm »

...So Malice or whatever his name is is actually the chaos shadow from people worshipping the void dragon?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10656 on: November 13, 2018, 08:22:52 pm »

I like that interpretation.  Would kinda explain why, IIRC, he hates all the other chaos gods and probably himself.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10657 on: November 14, 2018, 12:21:37 am »

So apparently WFRP 4e came out a while back. Anyone have anything to say about it?

Same with Wrath and Glory.

EDIT: Are flamers and other fire-based methods of destruction could for killing plague zombies?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:07:14 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10658 on: November 14, 2018, 07:20:18 am »

Are flamers and other fire-based methods of destruction could for killing plague zombies?

Lore? Yes. Hits a wide area, kills the disease and incinerates the remains, and zombies aren't smart enough to put themselves out when on fire. Only issue is the short range, but zombies are the sort of thing you fight with elite forces rather than mass infantry assaults, so risk of infection usually isn't too bad.

Tabletop? Yes. Zombies are horde units and flamers/explosives basically exist to kill them.

The RPGs? Eh... RPG zombies gimmick is being more durable humans who don't use guns so flamers can struggle to kill them outright, though zombies are easy to outpace so you can let them burn to death even when you don't instakill them, but generally heavy machine guns are probably better at killing them outright.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10659 on: November 14, 2018, 07:31:53 am »

I always thought that flamers weren't necessarily any more effective at killing plague zombies than the person wielding it - specifically, whether they believed it would work, in an orky fashion. Since 40k zombies are the product of nurgle (well I suppose you do get the odd exception created by a magos or xenos, but I imagine even the exceptions would eventually fall under the domain of papa nurgle), they probably get cleansed by SoBs's incendiary zealotry as much as their prometheum. While a guardsman would have a lotta faith in big burninators

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10660 on: November 14, 2018, 07:40:02 am »

Normal plague zombies aren't super magical, they're just traditional movie shambler zombies.

Even the weirder strains like Poxwalkers still die to mundane gunfire nearly as easily as humans. There's another odd version from Dark Heresy that was more demony and still used guns and things, but I think they still functioned as tougher than normal mundane enemies rather than magical/demonic ones.

Even the Tzeentch equivalent, Doubtworm Zombies, died to normal damage, at least until they reached their critical mass point and became really hard to stop.

EDIT: Not to say sanctified weapons wouldn't be slightly more effective from a fluff perspective, more that they wouldn't be meaningfully more effective. Blessed promethium puts the hurt on daemons but does nothing special to chaos marines for example, and zombies usually fall closer to the latter than the former.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:45:30 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10661 on: November 14, 2018, 07:51:41 am »

They're not super-magical, but they are warp fuckery, hence why infected carriers are basically impossible to cure before their eventual reawakening as a zombie, or cases where all dead bodies rose from the dead regardless of how they died. I just assume naturally that an overwhelming hatred of nurgle would help keep one free from getting plague'd, in so far as one can

*EDIT
Oh yeah so I found the confusion, turns out in lore that there are three main zombie plagues
-Ones made by chaos sorcerors which don't really spread without the sorceror's oversight (so necromancers)
-THE plague zombies, which are as you describe, traditional shambler zombies (pathogen zombies)
-Demon transmitted zombies, which ignore medicine but are appalled by faith healing (evil biome zombies)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:56:17 am by Loud Whispers »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10662 on: November 14, 2018, 07:52:55 am »

Is there such a thing as a necromancer in whaok?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10663 on: November 14, 2018, 08:00:04 am »

Is there such a thing as a necromancer in whaok?

Sort of. It's never been presented in mechanics or stories much, but some of the Death Guard fluff implies their sorcerers can animate the dead as zombies, make zombies more powerful and cast spells that spread the infection. There's also some fluff about powerful psykers puppeting armies of the dead.

Typhus and Necrosius(?) are the two tabletop characters who are zombie oriented and make them more powerful. Necrosius is explicitly a Necromancer I think, but I've never read the long version of his Siege of Vraks fluff.

Eldar Spiritseers are considered necromancers by other Eldar when they create Wraith units, plucking the souls of the dead back from the afterlife and sticking them in bodies to fight.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10664 on: November 14, 2018, 11:39:43 am »

Mortal CSM still can get hit by faith power, Typhus felt sharp burning pain, when some really holy ecclrsiarchy dude on world typhus was despoiling  started yelling preachings at him. ( typhus raised dude with his hands and filled him with insect horde, so, well, holyness of dude did not save him or world in the end )
Pages: 1 ... 709 710 [711] 712 713 ... 824