Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965484 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10965 on: December 05, 2018, 09:51:36 pm »

Of course they do. According to Mechanicus tests, nearby void is filled with Orks. Silent King literally went on a voyage outside but he NOPE'd out when he found Tyranids on his way. Probably bunch more examples. It's somewhat rare, considering what it is, but yeah, it happens.
As far as humanity goes, I think /tg/ had this one fun thing, called "The Ship Moves".
Adept 1207, what do you see?
RECORD 40345 12 13, COORDINATES X 33,45,13, Y 124,56,01, Z 2295,58,91.
ORKS

Adept 1207, clarify?
RECORD 40345 12 13, CO-
Adept 1207, the Orks.
INQUISITOR. THE VOID IS ORKS

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #10966 on: December 05, 2018, 10:18:05 pm »

Some novel even gave it a fancy title, that is the point beyond which it is safe to make a warp jump. I want to say it was called the Mandlebrot Point or something, but I am lazy and my casual google-fu fails me.

Mandeville Point. It is not a point given it's apparently describing a distance from the system barycenter, but as with all things related to the warp, just imagine the Black Library authors furiously handwaving and repeating "anything is possible in the waaaarp. It doesn't make seeeense" over and over.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10967 on: December 05, 2018, 10:48:34 pm »

Adept 1207, what do you see?
RECORD 40345 12 13, COORDINATES X 33,45,13, Y 124,56,01, Z 2295,58,91.
ORKS

Adept 1207, clarify?
RECORD 40345 12 13, CO-
Adept 1207, the Orks.
INQUISITOR. THE VOID IS ORKS

Quite literally. They scanned incoming transmissions, like, radiowaves and shit, and essentially all they got was Ork shitposting in intergalactic void. This doesn't really tell you how far have Orks gone, or if any of them succesfuly arrived in other Galaxy, but in general the nearby void is orks fighting on some loose star systems, space hulks or other assorted roks. Except, of course, the side Tyranids arrive from, but yeah.

Mandeville Point. It is not a point given it's apparently describing a distance from the system barycenter, but as with all things related to the warp, just imagine the Black Library authors furiously handwaving and repeating "anything is possible in the waaaarp. It doesn't make seeeense" over and over.
Majority of warp travel is done over relatively stable conduits, which lead to creation of equivalents of "lanes" so common in Sci-Fi games. Of course you can go through anywhere, but most go through there, since it's the safest option, and attracts merchants, so presumably there would be defenses, but that's a side note. My guess as to how reasonably explain it is that it was called as such in DAoT when they did the exact same thing (it just makes sense, they use the same technology, probably used the same easy ways) and it entered common language as "point" due to it being how most people involved with warp travel saw it - a certain point on the edge of system where you could safely pass to other system. Military and eggheads of course knew better, but I guess their knowledge got lost, and nowadays Imperium just calls it that because that's how their ancestors did.
The real answer is probably it sounds cooler and neither Imperium nor writers give a single flying fuck.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10968 on: December 05, 2018, 10:50:38 pm »

Quite literally. They scanned incoming transmissions, like, radiowaves and shit, and essentially all they got was Ork shitposting in intergalactic void. This doesn't really tell you how far have Orks gone, or if any of them succesfuly arrived in other Galaxy, but in general the nearby void is orks fighting on some loose star systems, space hulks or other assorted roks. Except, of course, the side Tyranids arrive from, but yeah.
Assuming it hasn't been retconned, the War in Heaven was said to span several galaxies. It's entirely possible that the extragalactic Orks are leftovers from the war, and in other galaxies there are abandoned webway gates, Old One skeletons, sleeping necrons and just shit tons of Ork Empires.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: December 05, 2018, 11:35:59 pm »

The real answer is probably it sounds cooler and neither Imperium nor writers give a single flying fuck.

That's pretty much 40k all around.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: December 05, 2018, 11:44:29 pm »

Yep: handwaving. It's a well-worn handwave with which to reconcile go-almost-anywhere FTL with the idea of there being chokepoints to defend and thus a reason for static defenses and dramatic races to the point and so forth.

I suspect the prescriptive jump points mentioned in the Battlefleet Gothic rule book as being marked out by beacons in civilized systems may have evolved into the descriptive Mandeville Points of The Path of Heaven.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: December 06, 2018, 04:13:51 am »

Assuming it hasn't been retconned, the War in Heaven was said to span several galaxies. It's entirely possible that the extragalactic Orks are leftovers from the war, and in other galaxies there are abandoned webway gates, Old One skeletons, sleeping necrons and just shit tons of Ork Empires.
Then it should be possible to webway to another galaxy, which should be no more boned than the Milky Way, since the Webway itself isn't just Daemons in a tube -yet-.  Less boned even, since Big E isn't there to be our Guiding Light and Savior.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: December 06, 2018, 04:45:14 am »

Those poor Orks in the void. They're stuck floating around in big empty space with nothing to do, where they're lucky if they manage to collide into other Orks for a scrap every now and then. Sure, I guess their ships and roks will be nonstop internal fights broken up only by periods of silence after everyone's been killed and before the new spores grow, but I'm sure the Orks would prefer a little variety in their fighting. I feel for them.

Then again... I like to think that they're actually in the path of the main 'Nid armada - the only thing stopping said armada from reaching the galaxy, even, just an eternal bug-stomping Valhalla for these poor lost Orks who have no idea they're saving the Milky Way.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10973 on: December 06, 2018, 07:31:20 am »

Yeah, nah. Lore keeps cropping up saying it was on Universal scale (mostly because things sound cool), but it most probably was just confined to Milky Way. A lot of things stop making sense if it was over multiple Galaxies. The thing here though is again - everything is canon, nothing is true. If some Eldar bastard goes to humans "oh yeah War in Heaven was multiple Galaxies, that's how cool we are, duh" then there is a pretty high chance he's lying or just insane.

That's pretty much 40k all around.
That's why we're here, trying to figure out how the fuck does it work and theories are a major part of the fun. It's not like you can even expect universe with fuckton of books and other media, by fuckton of authors to be very internally consistent. Nobody really does that.

Then it should be possible to webway to another galaxy, which should be no more boned than the Milky Way, since the Webway itself isn't just Daemons in a tube -yet-.  Less boned even, since Big E isn't there to be our Guiding Light and Savior.
I don't think so. If War in Heaven spanned multiple Galaxies, then the others are just as boned, if not worse. You might get away from the local variety of Chaos Gods, but you'd run into Enslavers or whatever they had down there. Also, as far as webway integrity, the breach Magnus caused is really just one of many. The only real problem is that it opens up in between Webway and realspace, which is a problem for Terra, but not so much for Eldar, they'd just seal it off and continue to do fetish sex in their giant BDSM basement.

Those poor Orks in the void. They're stuck floating around in big empty space with nothing to do, where they're lucky if they manage to collide into other Orks for a scrap every now and then. Sure, I guess their ships and roks will be nonstop internal fights broken up only by periods of silence after everyone's been killed and before the new spores grow, but I'm sure the Orks would prefer a little variety in their fighting. I feel for them.

Then again... I like to think that they're actually in the path of the main 'Nid armada - the only thing stopping said armada from reaching the galaxy, even, just an eternal bug-stomping Valhalla for these poor lost Orks who have no idea they're saving the Milky Way.
I'm pretty sure they're too spread out to be actually dangerous to Nids and I guess they survive by fighting each other, yeah. It did say about systems worth of trash that Orks live on, so yeah, it's not like they're really confined to extremely small spaces.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10974 on: December 06, 2018, 10:33:18 am »

Old lore did have webways to other galaxies, though it said they were broken or lost. If there is still a working one, chances are it's infested with daemonettes or harlequins. Also I'm not sure whatever alien civilisation popped up in other galaxies would necessarily be faring better. There's a few Dark Age of Technology AI-controlled Imperial ships that flew off into the void to reach other galaxies, and it's questionable whether such an AI robot colony would react well if it encountered meatlings. They would still have to deal with demons & Old One leftovers (like Orks), and chances are their galaxy would have at least one faction as genocidal as the Imperium. Also considering that the two factions we know possessing non-warp means of intergalactic transit are the Necrons and the Tyranids, it doesn't bode well for the other galaxies' odds if either of those factions are present in their galaxy. Especially that one galaxy apparently infested by whatever Tyranid Khan is driving away the Tyranids, if that is true at all. Considering how many gods the Eldar created and how many were destroyed, who knows if another galaxy has even more chaos gods than the milky way, especially if the alien organisms there feel different emotions relative to humanity

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10975 on: December 06, 2018, 11:38:20 am »

In other news BFG:A2 is pretty fun. I can see myself playing it more than the previous one, provided the shitty servers don't last past the beta. Right now it's like 50/50 if the multiplayer match will start or you will have to forcefully quit the game because it will never load.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10976 on: December 06, 2018, 12:03:54 pm »

You know, having run the numbers it's not inconceivable that the Tau of all races could seriously attempt intergalactic travel. Their ether drives, while slower than the Imperial warp drives, travel at a consistent speed in the interstices between the Warp and real space, and so would not operate differently in the presumably calmer extragalactic Warp. Nor do they need the Astronomican or the Webway.

Using the 2nd Ed. Imperial Guard codex's average of 400 ly/day (or rather, 10,000 ly/ 10-40 days),  a Tau ship running at the listed 1/5th speed could reach the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy in just over 2.5 years, the Magellanic Clouds in 5-7, and Andromeda in 68. That last one is admittedly longer than the Tau lifespan, but between the Ethereals' unifying effect and the Tau's stasis capability we might expect them to avoid the Three Generations Problem and so keep the fleet running that long.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: December 06, 2018, 12:24:22 pm »

In other news BFG:A2 is pretty fun. I can see myself playing it more than the previous one, provided the shitty servers don't last past the beta. Right now it's like 50/50 if the multiplayer match will start or you will have to forcefully quit the game because it will never load.

Have you done the SP campaign at all? How does it stack up to the first one's?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: December 06, 2018, 12:58:54 pm »

Have you done the SP campaign at all? How does it stack up to the first one's?
Dito.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10979 on: December 06, 2018, 01:23:46 pm »

Right now only 2 mission prologue/tutorial is available. First mission is really basic, gives you control of one Battle Barge, and you suicide into Blackstone Fortress. Second mission gives you a small squadron of Imperial Navy ships which also quickly die and you get to fly around with Phalanx and absolutely remove Chaos ships and finally destroy a Blackstone Fortress. There's no real campaign yet but some of tooltips indicate it will again be a "grand strategy" campaign and I'd risk saying it's more in-depth than the one from previous game. The three choices are Imperium, Necrons or Tyranids, which small explanation that each of them work very differently from each other, but no real context. So yeah, not much known right now.

As far as story/stuff goes, the boards look nice (though they made characters mouth move, which is... weird), there's a short in-engine cutscene about Chaos ramming a Blackstone Fortress into Cadia and then you see Cadia explode. The end. You can watch those on youtube, probably.
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 824