Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 788

Author Topic: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")  (Read 518088 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11760 on: August 03, 2019, 03:03:04 am »

So I'm checking out the Gloomspite Gitz battletome as well atm and I've found my new biggest pet peeve with AoS.

Annoying usage of capitalisation.

Anytime a keyword shows up in the fluff blurbs it get capitalised even when it doesn't really make sense to. For example, grot doesn't get capitalised, Spiderfang Grots however does. Gargant is uncapitalised but Aleguzzler Gargant is.
It's copyright friendly. Ever since ChapterHouse Studios and similar court cases GW goes out of their way to name things in a manner that's easier to defend in court.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11761 on: August 03, 2019, 04:19:15 am »

I'm aware of the reason for the frequently odd names like Sloppity Bilepiper, but the way they use them in fluff blocks looks weird, I first properly noticed it while reading the entry for the Arachnarok spider.

In the depths of gnarled forests and overgrown ruins, these eight legged monstrosities stalk and entrap entire gor-kin warbands and clans of Sylvaneth, as well as larger prey like gargants and Cygors.

The contrast between keywords and non-keywords there was just really obvious and jarring.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11762 on: August 03, 2019, 06:56:06 am »

Idea, if the party somehow bypass the lock/barrier without going to the basement, or even if they try to, then make is so after passing through the stairs crumbles under the influence of nurgle root and send them there.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Celebrating one decade of existential crisis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11763 on: August 04, 2019, 01:54:03 pm »

Meanwhile...

Playing: Kill Team ft Urban Conquest (as Tau)
Painting: Blackstone fortress mooks (pics later maybe)
Purchasing: Necromunda. Hoping to do a big UK shipment in order to stay relatively unshafted.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:15:57 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11764 on: August 30, 2019, 09:46:59 pm »

What is Psychic Awakening?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Celebrating one decade of existential crisis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11765 on: August 31, 2019, 02:26:55 am »

In here

As far as I'm aware that's all that's been teased so far. Big campain. Lots of new stuff. No idea what's going on.

If you want to be super lore-happy, it's been mentioned around that Humanity is due for a grand psychic awakening. Something something the old ones built us to do this, because they felt they fucked the elves and orcs. The increasing amount of psykers has been 'ticking down' to something like this.
Not sure how in the heck they'd make rules for such an event though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11766 on: August 31, 2019, 12:07:18 pm »

If you want to be super lore-happy, it's been mentioned around that Humanity is due for a grand psychic awakening. Something something the old ones built us to do this, because they felt they fucked the elves and orcs. The increasing amount of psykers has been 'ticking down' to something like this.
While it's not exactly new lore, if the supposed origin of Emperor is true, that means the "ticking down" was supposed to happen quite a long while ago.

Not sure how in the heck they'd make rules for such an event though.
Every Guardsman conscript is now a psyker.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11767 on: August 31, 2019, 12:19:12 pm »

The actual awakening is probably going to be new psychic disciplines and formations, maybe a few new units for some factions. How they'll handle the non-psychic factions is the real question imo, Necrons and Ad-Mech in particular are probably going to miss out and just get some buffs to resisting psychic powers.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11768 on: September 01, 2019, 02:19:53 am »

So, today I learned that back in Rogue Trader days, GW was even more creatively bankrupt.
How bankrupt?
There is a Space Marine chapter from then named the Dark Brotherhood.

Yeah.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:37:04 am by ArchAIngel »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11769 on: September 01, 2019, 03:57:53 am »

To be fair, there aren't many permutations of names that exude sufficient grimdark and testosterone, at at that point individual Chapters were mostly excuses for paint schemes anyway. They've already run through most of the animals unless somebody really wants to try putting together lore for the Watch Weasels or Void Gators* or something. Colors are hard since red, white and black are specific First Founding chapters' deal and other colors just sound a bit silly as names; nobody wants to paint up an army of Pucemarines. Even most remaining things relating to outright violence sound either silly or a bit Khornate these days. After the Flesh Tearers, Flesh Eaters, Soul Drinkers, Blood Drinkers, Bone Knives, Pain Bringers, Skull Bearers, and War Bearers, you've got to get either really creative or really visceral unless you want to go with Shin Kickers**. Then, too, there's Sons of basically everyone, and "Emperor's" tacked onto just about everything even remotely violence-related. At some point they're bound to start sounding bland and samey.

*Admittedly, this one might work for some sort of Florida Man Marines. Airboats count as bikers, etc.
**Although if you did, the image of an army of Marines in ceramite ushankas violently Cossack dancing into enemy lines would be very enjoyable.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Uh, Death Plane? Death Plane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11770 on: September 01, 2019, 04:01:47 am »

Dammit, now I've got to go spend $5000 on painting up the Void Gators chapter...
Spongey like a sponge, incosistant like a sponge, impermanent like a sponge.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11771 on: September 01, 2019, 05:38:49 am »

The harder part than the name or the color scheme is giving them a personality.....

You end up going to lengths like the Death Specters chapter.
Quote from: Rumi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11772 on: September 01, 2019, 09:09:08 am »

So, today I learned that back in Rogue Trader days, GW was even more creatively bankrupt.
How bankrupt?

Yeah.
Eeeh, I'm pretty sure those Marines were all cool-ass dudes drinking beer and hugging ladies to victory, while sporting a very colorful hilarious paint scheme... or not so colorful one, but I'm still pretty sure they were pretty cool dudes.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11773 on: September 01, 2019, 09:06:38 pm »

I played another game with my brother today, using the new stalker I added to my army, and I've been wondering if I was using it correctly.  The rules say it gets +1 to hit anything that can Fly, which most of his tau models could do.  That made it extremely effective, getting 6 S7 AP -1 shots that did 2 damage and hit on 2s, but it feels kind of wrong for it to get that bonus if they were just standing there and shooting at me.

Is that right?  Just because the can fly, I get +1 to hit them?  Even if they didn't?
Success requires no explanation.  Failure allows none.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less carbs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11774 on: September 01, 2019, 09:55:38 pm »

I played another game with my brother today, using the new stalker I added to my army, and I've been wondering if I was using it correctly.  The rules say it gets +1 to hit anything that can Fly, which most of his tau models could do.  That made it extremely effective, getting 6 S7 AP -1 shots that did 2 damage and hit on 2s, but it feels kind of wrong for it to get that bonus if they were just standing there and shooting at me.

Is that right?  Just because the can fly, I get +1 to hit them?  Even if they didn't?

Fly Keyword is always on. You always get those bonuses, and those penalties.
 Every army has a weakpoint or two . Tau's is Anti-Fly and Poisoned Weapons. And Psychic. And Morale

Okay, they have a decent amount of weaknesses, but there REALLY FRACKING good at what they're good at.

Also, they were standing still and not engaging in glorious melee. They deserve to suffer.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 788