Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944390 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11700 on: August 02, 2019, 04:24:02 pm »

How about some animated man sized poppet (basically voodoo dolls) style creatures helping guard the tree? Crude mannequins of wood nailed together with a human's severed head nailed on top of the neck stick and bits of sharp metal like nails or knives tied to the end's on their arms. Initially they just line the path to the boss fight, but then shamble into jittery movement when the fight begins.

Some normal sized poppets looking like various members of the order could be found lying around corresponding to how some of them died, like one nailed to a wall and the person it represents being impaled by a strut from a fallen ceiling support or collapsed chandelier in another room.

Since it's a feudal world it might add to the medieval feel.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11701 on: August 02, 2019, 04:33:28 pm »

Cancerous, unchecked growths are always a staple of Nurgle. I do enjoy a good "wall of flesh" fight.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11702 on: August 02, 2019, 06:28:39 pm »

So I'm checking out the Gloomspite Gitz battletome as well atm and I've found my new biggest pet peeve with AoS.

Annoying usage of capitalisation.

Anytime a keyword shows up in the fluff blurbs it get capitalised even when it doesn't really make sense to. For example, grot doesn't get capitalised, Spiderfang Grots however does. Gargant is uncapitalised but Aleguzzler Gargant is.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: August 03, 2019, 02:33:46 am »

Ugh. That, combined with their seeming love of superfluous adjectives does turn me off.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11704 on: August 03, 2019, 03:03:04 am »

So I'm checking out the Gloomspite Gitz battletome as well atm and I've found my new biggest pet peeve with AoS.

Annoying usage of capitalisation.

Anytime a keyword shows up in the fluff blurbs it get capitalised even when it doesn't really make sense to. For example, grot doesn't get capitalised, Spiderfang Grots however does. Gargant is uncapitalised but Aleguzzler Gargant is.
It's copyright friendly. Ever since ChapterHouse Studios and similar court cases GW goes out of their way to name things in a manner that's easier to defend in court.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: August 03, 2019, 04:19:15 am »

I'm aware of the reason for the frequently odd names like Sloppity Bilepiper, but the way they use them in fluff blocks looks weird, I first properly noticed it while reading the entry for the Arachnarok spider.

In the depths of gnarled forests and overgrown ruins, these eight legged monstrosities stalk and entrap entire gor-kin warbands and clans of Sylvaneth, as well as larger prey like gargants and Cygors.

The contrast between keywords and non-keywords there was just really obvious and jarring.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11706 on: August 03, 2019, 06:56:06 am »

Idea, if the party somehow bypass the lock/barrier without going to the basement, or even if they try to, then make is so after passing through the stairs crumbles under the influence of nurgle root and send them there.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: August 04, 2019, 01:54:03 pm »

Meanwhile...

Playing: Kill Team ft Urban Conquest (as Tau)
Painting: Blackstone fortress mooks (pics later maybe)
Purchasing: Necromunda. Hoping to do a big UK shipment in order to stay relatively unshafted.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:15:57 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11708 on: August 30, 2019, 09:46:59 pm »

What is Psychic Awakening?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: August 31, 2019, 02:26:55 am »

In here

As far as I'm aware that's all that's been teased so far. Big campain. Lots of new stuff. No idea what's going on.

If you want to be super lore-happy, it's been mentioned around that Humanity is due for a grand psychic awakening. Something something the old ones built us to do this, because they felt they fucked the elves and orcs. The increasing amount of psykers has been 'ticking down' to something like this.
Not sure how in the heck they'd make rules for such an event though.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11710 on: August 31, 2019, 12:07:18 pm »

If you want to be super lore-happy, it's been mentioned around that Humanity is due for a grand psychic awakening. Something something the old ones built us to do this, because they felt they fucked the elves and orcs. The increasing amount of psykers has been 'ticking down' to something like this.
While it's not exactly new lore, if the supposed origin of Emperor is true, that means the "ticking down" was supposed to happen quite a long while ago.

Not sure how in the heck they'd make rules for such an event though.
Every Guardsman conscript is now a psyker.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11711 on: August 31, 2019, 12:19:12 pm »

The actual awakening is probably going to be new psychic disciplines and formations, maybe a few new units for some factions. How they'll handle the non-psychic factions is the real question imo, Necrons and Ad-Mech in particular are probably going to miss out and just get some buffs to resisting psychic powers.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: September 01, 2019, 02:19:53 am »

So, today I learned that back in Rogue Trader days, GW was even more creatively bankrupt.
How bankrupt?
There is a Space Marine chapter from then named the Dark Brotherhood.

Yeah.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:37:04 am by ArchAIngel »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11713 on: September 01, 2019, 03:57:53 am »

There is a Space Marine chapter from then named the Dark Brotherhood.

To be fair, there aren't many permutations of names that exude sufficient grimdark and testosterone, at at that point individual Chapters were mostly excuses for paint schemes anyway. They've already run through most of the animals unless somebody really wants to try putting together lore for the Watch Weasels or Void Gators* or something. Colors are hard since red, white and black are specific First Founding chapters' deal and other colors just sound a bit silly as names; nobody wants to paint up an army of Pucemarines. Even most remaining things relating to outright violence sound either silly or a bit Khornate these days. After the Flesh Tearers, Flesh Eaters, Soul Drinkers, Blood Drinkers, Bone Knives, Pain Bringers, Skull Bearers, and War Bearers, you've got to get either really creative or really visceral unless you want to go with Shin Kickers**. Then, too, there's Sons of basically everyone, and "Emperor's" tacked onto just about everything even remotely violence-related. At some point they're bound to start sounding bland and samey.

*Admittedly, this one might work for some sort of Florida Man Marines. Airboats count as bikers, etc.
**Although if you did, the image of an army of Marines in ceramite ushankas violently Cossack dancing into enemy lines would be very enjoyable.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: September 01, 2019, 04:01:47 am »

Dammit, now I've got to go spend $5000 on painting up the Void Gators chapter...
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 824