Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944827 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11730 on: September 05, 2019, 05:00:01 pm »

"Thems that become servitors will be the lucky ones!!!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11731 on: September 08, 2019, 05:00:55 pm »

So one of my RPG group members is reluctant to learn a new system, so in the meantime I'm writing up a set of encounters for a solo game I want to run for my brother set on Xurunt based around the Throne of Baphtar plothook from the Tome of Blood.

Spoiler: Throne of Baphtar lore (click to show/hide)
So my basic idea is to have my brother already be a warrior of sufficient power that he is contesting the throne, having come to claim it in the Spring and now faced with holding it for a full year against various encounters while also keeping his tribe from abandoning him to go do something more proactive. I'm thinking 8 challenges would be appropriate for a Khorneate rite.

Ideas I have for challengers in no particular order:

The twin brothers Burlok, two chieftains who will need to be fought in an arena battle on foot.

An array of lesser tribes waging an outright attack with some mounted lesser chieftains trying to defeat the defending tribe. Fought in a small skirmish battle against the chieftains themselves and with some of Black Crusades mass combat rules brought into play, as well as possible use of horde rules.

An Onir, a daemon engine made by the Svartlings who live underground and prey on the Xur sent to try and kill the champion before they can unite the tribes. Probably the least fair fight, will need to keep an eye on the weapons the champion has to make sure they can even hurt it themselves.

Alrick Hrafnmann, a Xur Sorcerer who commands a giant beast as a mount, (leaning towards a Frostwyrm from Tome of Excess.) Driven to stop the champion by vague and possibly misleading visions of the future.

A duel with a Bloodletter of Khorne, plus a flesh hound if the champion is a psyker.

Betrayal from within, one or more of the tribesmen try to overthrow the champion, possibly trying murder or poisoning before an actual challenge. Weakish combatants, but potential for the champion to be taken by surprise or drugged.

The Brazen Beast, a Xur possessed by a juggernaught of Khorne and bearing a number of randomly generated mutations.

A horde of various beasts preceding a stampede of Xurunsh, apex carnivores the Xur use as mounts. A large battle against lots of little animals followed by big monsters.

The veil thins and a host of lesser warp spirits breaks through, Nether Swarms, Furies and other minor entities from various sources.

Thiadri Bonecrusher, a giant (like imperial knight sized) mutant wielding a metal studded tree trunk as a club.

Anyone got ideas for other challenges appropriate to a feral world?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11732 on: September 10, 2019, 09:51:07 am »

Sentient and/or possessed Flora. Possibly one that has enslaved a tribe. I seem to recall an older 40k short story to this effect.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 09:56:45 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11733 on: September 10, 2019, 07:20:09 pm »

The 2009 (I think) white dwarf codex is full of crazy plants if you can find it.
Theres a cactus that, if you get stung, you turn into another cactus since it grows inside you
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11734 on: September 11, 2019, 03:41:17 am »

Plants have a bit of an issue of struggling to walk into an arena, and people under their control basically just means more tribesmen fights but with worse stats.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11735 on: September 11, 2019, 08:20:46 am »

Plants have a bit of an issue of struggling to walk into an arena, and people under their control basically just means more tribesmen fights but with worse stats.
You're not thinking with walking plants. I mean, Orks are like, fungi, so why not plants?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11736 on: September 11, 2019, 10:10:55 am »

Yeah but make them fight them all at once.

I see your point though. You want a big arena fight ala Huron Blackheart's Khorne Arena. I don't know if plant life needs to be excluded though. Imagine something like this that I dunno, constantly spits up half digested, mind-controlled tribesmen covered in bio-acid to protect itself. Add a dash of Nurgle and you have a Chaos Plant.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11737 on: September 11, 2019, 04:22:03 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11738 on: September 11, 2019, 05:52:41 pm »

Oh, and while you have them in the Arena, make sure Statler and Waldorf-type Chaos Champions are commentating everything.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11739 on: September 11, 2019, 06:47:32 pm »

Or a John Madden style Traitor Marine.

“Oooooh, the Dark Gods are gonna love that hit, I can tell you that!”

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11740 on: September 11, 2019, 07:38:36 pm »

Or a John Madden style Traitor Marine.

“Oooooh, the Dark Gods are gonna love that hit, I can tell you that!”

Remember, if the players want to strangle you, but can't muster the breath from laughing too much, your doing it right.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11741 on: September 12, 2019, 12:29:03 pm »

"The best way to... to get blood for the blood god is to... you know,  ya gotta spill a lot of blood, and keep the other guy bleeding. If he's bleeding, and you're not, then, you're really getting blood for the blood god. Whaddya think, Ubliex the Soul-eater?"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #11742 on: September 12, 2019, 04:16:37 pm »

What, you think your own blood is too good for shedding for the blood god?!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11743 on: September 12, 2019, 06:08:08 pm »

"The best way to... to get blood for the blood god is to... you know,  ya gotta spill a lot of blood, and keep the other guy bleeding. If he's bleeding, and you're not, then, you're really getting blood for the blood god. Whaddya think, Ubliex the Soul-eater?"

*waggles Soul Tentacles in agreement*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11744 on: September 21, 2019, 09:36:52 pm »

It took me like 2 months to go from sprues to good enough for my tastes, but I finally finished the first squad from my revised home brew space marine chapter.  It's kind of a shame that terminators aren't great in the meta, but I had the box lying around, so it's what I used.  Plus, it gave me a chance to try out the new cape technique I read about on Bolter and Chainsword.

Photo quality sucks and they're honestly not painted that great, but it at least shows how a bunch of tissue paper and Elmer's glue can turn out:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I which I hadn't already glued the pauldrons onto the shoulders years ago when I bought the set, since I really would have preferred to place the capes beneath the pauldrons instead of affixing them with purity seals, but what's done is done.  Plus the devastator box set I bought includes a lot of arms where the pauldrons are already part of the arm, so I wouldn't be able to do it that way for those marines.

I've still got to figure out exactly how I'll do this for ordinary marines though, such as with their backpacks.  When I tried this many years ago with green stuff I just shoved the backpack on over the green stuff, but I'll probably have to cut out a slot for it in the template this time.

Edit:

Another thing I'm struggling with is what to do with the chapter badge.  I want to put it on the capes, but I don't think that's going to happen.  I have no idea if a decal would stick to them, and even if they would it would be a major pain to get them to fit over the folds.

Incidentally, I need to figure out how to get custom decals printed for that.  And make a badge.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:00:16 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 781 782 [783] 784 785 ... 824