Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944574 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11745 on: September 22, 2019, 01:01:28 am »

Incidentally, I need to figure out how to get custom decals printed for that.  And make a badge.

Well, water slide decal papers are printable and relatively cheap considering you won't need more than a sheet or two, so it might be worth just trying that first if you already have an inkjet printer. Alternatively, there are minis companies that will make custom decal sheets for you, albeit more slowly and expensively.

EDIT: Depending on how much effort you want to put into this, I wonder if maybe heating the decals wouldn't make them fit better over the folds, since they're vinyl. It might be worth trying to blow-dry them onto dummy capes or something.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:14:33 am by Trekkin »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11746 on: September 22, 2019, 06:35:56 pm »

So I ran my brother through the challenges of the Throne of Baphtar today.

He rolled up a Xurunt Frost Father and with his starting corruption managed to mutate a second arm coming off his left.

His first battle was against two brother chieftains in a duel, in which he was accompanied by a basic Xur warrior as he had elected not to make a minion to assist him with his starting exp. He suffered a mild injury, but survived and was victorious.

His tribe was then attacked by a nether swarm, despite suffering grievous injuries he successfully defeated the lesser daemons with the help of his tribespeople and his Xurunsh mount.

At this point I awarded him enough corruption to push him to his next mutation, which he managed to roll on the gifts of Khorne for, having the fortune to earn a Fist of Khorne, basically turning his bare hand into a power fist which proceeded to be very useful for him.

Next he battled an Onir, beating the mechanical dragon to death with his daemonically enhanced limb.

He was then challenged by a group of lesser chieftains, choosing to ride out and challenge them before they could stage an all out assault, promptly killing three with his daemon fist and making the others submit to his rule.

He proceeded to mutate into a psuedo-daemon, another extremely useful mutation as it made him terrifying beyond belief.

His next challenge came in the form of a Herald of Khorne, a fight that brought him close to death, cut his sword in half when he used it to parry the daemon and required him to spend infamy points to survive, but he beat the daemon down to a single wound and claimed it's sword for himself.

A giant mutant was the next to approach him, but it ultimately fled from his terrifying daemonic visage, running in fear.

Afterwards he was attacked in his sleep by three of his own people, aspiring chieftains who resented his power. One landed a good blow with a sword on him and proceeded to duel him for a few rounds before being crushed by the hand of khorne, one rolled so terribly repeatedly that I ruled that he cut off his own leg, and the third was pulped by two unarmed blows from my brother's third arm.

Finally my brother came to face his final challenge, the Brazen Beast, a possessed Xur warrior with an impressive randomly boosted statline and daemonic powers and mutations, but who was ultimately crushed by the daemon fist despite landing a strong blow after a few rounds of combat.

All in all it was a fun little session, impressed he survived the whole thing but he really got lucky with the hand of khorne and pseudo daemonhood. The hand is one of the stronger mutations a melee character can have and it doubled his damage potential, and pseudo-daemonhood made the giant, who was one of the tankier bosses, flee outright rather than fight him because I didn't think to give it fearless.

He was relying on natural healing to keep his wounds up, but his challenges were spread across 9 months, with the exact time between fights being determined by dice rolls, so he was able to survive every fight except the herald without any issue, but that fight was going to push him into critical damage before he spent infamy. He was facing getting several fingers being cut off an being stunned, which would probably have been the end for him.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11747 on: September 22, 2019, 11:38:35 pm »

I played a game today using the updated marines codex, ironically without the terminators I just finished painting, using the Iron Hands supplement rules.  I was playing Iron Hands before they were cool, and they honestly kind of sucked compared to the other chapter tactics, but the power creep they got from the codex supplement is a little disgusting by comparison.

I was up against a custodes player, and I'd never faced custodes before so I expected to lose hard.  Instead, I managed to tie him in a game where we had to hold objectives, which is something my army is usually awful at.

Iron Hands are ridiculous now.  They get 6+ feel no pain on everything but servitors, can reroll 1s to hit with heavy weapons, can move and shoot heavy weapons with no penalty, their vehicles count as having double wounds for the purpose of the damage table, and they get overwatch on 5+.  Not to count the excellent complementary warlord traits, such as being able to designate a squad per turn that can reroll one miss, one wound roll and one damage roll if I'm remembering right.  And reduce damage to vehicles by 1 if they're close to your warlord.  Or get extra repairs.  Or let their librarians repair things.  It goes on.

I like the power boost, and I haven't played a ton of 8th edition, but I'm a little worried about the power creep and sheer number of rules and special conditions I have to remember.  I'm already forgetting half of the times I get rerolls or other special conditions.  I can only guess every other chapter got similar upgrades for little or no point cost.

On a different note, I was surprised at how effective a custodes army could be when only ~15 models added up to 2,000 points.  I also felt good about shooting down his super heavy transport flyer in the first turn too, which I forgot the name of but which had 22 wounds.  That is, until a dreadnought and a bunch of other close combat characters promptly crawled out of the wreckage and charged my razorbacks...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:48:36 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11748 on: September 22, 2019, 11:52:49 pm »

Which system were you using by the way?

Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11749 on: September 23, 2019, 03:14:48 am »

Which system were you using by the way?

Black Crusade.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11750 on: October 17, 2019, 06:11:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I've been struggling to bring myself to paint or build stuff for a few months, and the first thing I do when I've regained some desire to create again is a ratling cultist converted from a bloodbowl halfling. I'm not even sure why I did this.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11751 on: October 17, 2019, 07:39:56 pm »

Because he's just so gosh darn adorable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11752 on: November 15, 2019, 05:05:09 pm »

This is 40k, but eh, I don't think we have a half-alive FB thread.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/15/old-world-new-warhammer/
That took them a while to figure out...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11753 on: November 15, 2019, 08:46:39 pm »

What if we didnt completely alienate a large portion of our playerbase?  *thunking*
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11754 on: November 16, 2019, 06:08:47 am »

Wasteful news!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11755 on: November 16, 2019, 05:33:24 pm »

What if this was their plan all along like how going to new coke back to coke classic boosted sales overall
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11756 on: November 16, 2019, 05:56:09 pm »

Maybe, not like I can spend money on it, but I'm sure I'll never would spend anything on Age of Duels of Planeswalker while FB has all the charm and I would do spend money on it if I could.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11757 on: November 18, 2019, 09:02:52 am »

What if we didnt completely alienate a large portion of our playerbase?  *thunking*

You do realize you're in a thread about a Games Workshop game, right? They consider alienating only half of their player base a bad day.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11758 on: November 18, 2019, 12:23:44 pm »

What happens to a blank if they were dropped into the warp itself directly, through Gellar Field failure, etc.
Would they keep their own bubble of non-warp or smoothed out warp around them, or would the raw power of the warp overwhelm and consume them?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11759 on: November 18, 2019, 12:27:36 pm »

Not an unpopular opinion, but goddamn... they couldnt have made the Mortal Realms any more bland and generic.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 782 783 [784] 785 786 ... 824