Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944358 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11760 on: November 18, 2019, 12:42:34 pm »

What happens to a blank if they were dropped into the warp itself directly, through Gellar Field failure, etc.
Would they keep their own bubble of non-warp or smoothed out warp around them, or would the raw power of the warp overwhelm and consume them?

They'd probably just suffocate. A blank in the warp is really just a human existing outside physical reality, without all the things the human body needs to survive.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11761 on: November 18, 2019, 01:47:51 pm »

Perhaps they just "resurface" back to this dimension like the Tau ships do. Then yeah, proceed to suffocate anyway.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11762 on: November 19, 2019, 04:58:45 am »

What happens to a blank if they were dropped into the warp itself directly, through Gellar Field failure, etc.
Would they keep their own bubble of non-warp or smoothed out warp around them, or would the raw power of the warp overwhelm and consume them?

They'd probably just suffocate. A blank in the warp is really just a human existing outside physical reality, without all the things the human body needs to survive.
Warp travel and gellar field are two different things - after all, blanks can travel through Warp on a ship. So presumably if the ship drops their field, they just remain on the ship in Warp, and breathe the air on the ship. Also, depends on power of a blank - some of them are just "blank", having no soul and not neccesarily nullifying any magic around them, while some (Omega-) are probably capable of creating their own "gellar fields" of sorts. In first case they get killed, in second case they get killed after a while.
If a blank were stuck in warp itself, with no ship, then probably it depends, I guess warp is weird, but at least partially there are material things in warp, like whole planets, where they could technically survive. Warp is weird, it seems things like air tend to not matter, but is's probably due to magic, so maybe if some blank got airlock'd out of a ship in warp they could suffocate, or maybe just hang around until they die from thirst or, more probably, daemons.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11763 on: November 19, 2019, 07:52:15 am »

Strangely we don't actually know much about how blanks work when not in realspace. I don't think there's been any stories in which any get sent into the Eye of Terror, Maelstrom or other permanent chaos storms. In theory the strongest ones are almost immune to daemonic assault, with daemons melting away before they reach them because of the warp being suppressed, but how that would work in the daemon's own reality hasn't been explored to my knowledge.

It's possible for mortals to survive in the warp, besides the poorly written Kaldor Draigo there's also chaos champions, orkz, a silver armoured warrior who managed to face Slaanesh personally before falling, some chaos marines travel with no gellar field, the teleporting space crocodiles and various other bits and pieces here and there, so maybe a blank would just get stuck walking around the nightmarish landscape that some beings perceive the warp as.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11764 on: November 19, 2019, 10:06:38 am »

What if a deamon picks up a regular gun and shoot the blank? I mean I can see claws, tentacles and deamonic ammo and blades melting away when approaching the blank but if fired with regular gun would die regardless of the one firing the gun, unless is a warpbased weapon.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11765 on: November 19, 2019, 10:32:50 am »

Would a gun in the warp not be warp tainted by necessity?  Wouldnt a demon with the intellectual capacity to run this exercise corrupt the gun enough just with its intent and physical touch?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11766 on: November 19, 2019, 10:59:12 am »

What if the deamon uses a stick to fire the gun?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11767 on: November 19, 2019, 11:02:13 am »

Itd have to be longer than 39 1/2 feet in length.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11768 on: November 19, 2019, 11:10:38 am »

What if the demon uses a metric system stick?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11769 on: November 19, 2019, 11:54:42 am »

Sorry we only use the    IMPERIAL system here.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #11770 on: November 19, 2019, 12:14:24 pm »

Well yes, the idea is that a regular blank can just get his head eaten by daemons, they just cannot directly corrupt his mind or use magic (however, if one were to throw a metal stick at him using magic, that'd probably work). Now, a powerful blank has that effect on daemons that they physically have trouble even coming close, but then there's mentioned Materium beings surviving in warp, most notably Chaos Space Marines which might happily cut the blank up. Of course then there's the idea that the powerful blank would just cause majority of warp around him to not exist for some time (say, the floor), so they might as well be stuck falling (floating?) in warp until they die from thirst or other natural causes, or eventually hit a material object like a Space Hulk or maybe those planets in Eye of Terror.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11771 on: November 19, 2019, 08:58:36 pm »

It's possible for mortals to survive in the warp, besides the poorly written Kaldor Draigo there's also chaos champions, orkz, a silver armoured warrior who managed to face Slaanesh personally before falling, some chaos marines travel with no gellar field, the teleporting space crocodiles and various other bits and pieces here and there, so maybe a blank would just get stuck walking around the nightmarish landscape that some beings perceive the warp as.

You've basically pointed out the fundamental issue with the question: anything goes, as per usual. People have been shredded in to ethereal protoplasm by being dropped directly in to the warp, some people travel through it for split seconds, some people live in it and have grand ol' adventures. Some Chaos warfleets use Gellar fields, some use sorcery, and some apparently just bathe in raw Warp energy during their travels.

Why do Space Hulks with sporadic Gellar field coverage not emerge from the Warp as a piece of Limburger or a sound or Tuesday? Instead they emerge as mostly recognizable things with mostly traversable features wot makes for cool adventures.

The fact there's something in 40k with a stated and canon cause and effect merely means not enough authors have been given enough free reign to interpret what that means. I'm sure some author somewhere has at least thought something like "A blank being dropped in the warp creates a psychic explosion that destroys all warp energy within that part of the warp and that drives people in real space within the whole segmentum insane." I mean, Culexus? They've already weaponized that shit. Warp Storms both exist as things in the warp with a specific position and location that can be avoided, and yet the warp is nowhere and everywhere all at once, so how can any given thing be in a given place if everything is just a mental metaphor or construction to make the Warp navigable. And then the fiction attributes certain behaviors to the Warp in certain areas of space, which is a direct contradiction to the previous idea. Ships don't exist in the warp in physical space, yet they do when something dramatic needs to happen like overlapping Gellar fields. Sometimes convoys actually exist as following each other in some sort of shared travel, or a ship stalking another ship. Other times fleets reach their destination sporadically, each on its own little journey separate from the others. Entering realspace within a solar system's gravitational field creates grav waves that pancake ships and planets alike, except when it doesn't.

It's what makes answering 40k questions fun but also finger-pushing-glasses-up-nose frustrating.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:24:54 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11772 on: November 30, 2019, 09:13:56 pm »

Sorry we only use the    IMPERIAL system here.
Imperium uses the metric system. Cain's regiment uses "kloms" as slang for kilometres.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11773 on: November 30, 2019, 10:24:24 pm »

I thought the warp wasn’t super habitable unless it was close to the eye or the maelstrom, where physicality is locked down a bit more.

Plus I think the demesnes of the gods have a bit more corporeality too, mostly through sheer will.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11774 on: November 30, 2019, 11:04:32 pm »

I wonder if it's like 9 Princes In Amber.  The realms of chaos are ruled by a surprisingly functional, deceptively orderly court.  Much as the planes of order culminate in a court of backstabbing miscreants who fake decency and decorum.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 824