Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944786 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Either use the 'fexes as big gun platforms and try and play ranged, or use the gaunts/jeanstealers to assault first, soak up the flammenwerfers, and then charge in the big boys.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Your life becomes a lot easier in melee, so if you can lock up some of his squads with trygons and stealers then you can let the carnifexes duel the tanks and the gaunts occupy every objective for all eternity

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Punch the dude in the face and steal all his models!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The ultimate melee tie-up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm actually going up against the Guard, 750 points. He's bringing 2 Company Commanders, 4 infantry squads with flamers, and two Leman Russes with Sponson and Hull Heavy Flamers.

I'm bringing Tyranids so you can understand how boned I am. Counts as, I have two Trygon bases, four Carnifexes, a shitpile of gaunts and stealers, a Tyrant, about nine warriors, and 3 Neuro/Venom/Zoanthropes.

Anyone got some advice for me to circumvent his piles of autohits?

Carnifexes are a solid choice, somewhat depending on what weapons they have. I think the two main loadouts still used are the ever popular quad-brainleech devourers dakkafex and crushing claw melee carnifexes.

Flamers aren't quite as bad in 8th for deleting gaunts as they were when templates were still a thing, though 9th is bringing back some more of that deletion effect. You can just cram a whole lot of gaunts around a leman russ in melee to shut down it's shooting though, and they'll eventually bring it down.

One option you have is to use the tyranid ability to ignore morale to camp on objectives, depending on what type of mission you're playing. Tyranids can park enough morale-proof models on an objective that it becomes impractical to try and take the objective away from them, and objectives can be more important than killing the enemy.

Charge targets with units that are either able to ignore flamers like carnifexes or that are expendable like gaunts before declaring charges with more important units. If a unit of gaunts could charge 5 units of guardsmen then it should do so, charges are resolved sequentially, so once a unit declares a charge the defender must decide to overwatch or not there and then rather than waiting for the result of the charge roll or being able to wait until you declare another unit is charging. Provided the first unit makes it into melee the defender has either overwatched that unit or can't overwatch any other unit.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Still think the good ol suckerpunch would work better. Or since you are playing nids, bring a wild street cat, if you are losing, set it free on the table. Claim is a biotitan.

That or yeah, try to get into melee as soon as possible with your xeno scum.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I fucking love whenever Tau study the blasted bombperium and marvel at how it is yet to keel over and gracelessly expire

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Comfy Roboute Guilleman dealing with slice of life problems whilst everyone treats him as the son of the Emperor instead of a chill dude is both mega comfy and heartbreaking. Dude needs to speak to Bjorn, probably one of the few people who can look at him eye to eye

*EDIT
Spoiler: bjorn for contrast (click to show/hide)
There's something really comfy about how tired and weary the old guys are at being treated with veneration, instead of peership

*EDITx2
It's probably worse for Guilleman, since the primarchs exude a psychic aura of Empy authority. Big G needs to find some blank friends who can actually laugh at his jokes because they're unaffected by his aura
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:26:51 am by Loud Whispers »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Still think the good ol suckerpunch would work better. Or since you are playing nids, bring a wild street cat, if you are losing, set it free on the table. Claim is a biotitan.

That or yeah, try to get into melee as soon as possible with your xeno scum.

they evolved biological acid spitting bio weapons but something as mundane as a smoke grenade which would totally make sense for a melee focused infantry has been inconceivable so far.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

they evolved biological acid spitting bio weapons but something as mundane as a smoke grenade which would totally make sense for a melee focused infantry has been inconceivable so far.
Isn't that describin venomthropes

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I wonder if the nids have bioforms that they just aren't using. Is it going to be like the Orks, and they send a humanoid zoanthrope speaking perfect Gothic to negotiate as soon as the entropy equation turns against them?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

I wonder if the nids have bioforms that they just aren't using. Is it going to be like the Orks, and they send a humanoid zoanthrope speaking perfect Gothic to negotiate as soon as the entropy equation turns against them?

Nice to eat you I mean meet you
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

That kinda happened with Zoats.

Then GW realized that Tyranids being Diplomatic was dumb. It'd be like if suddenly a pack of wolves sent one of their own with a handwritten note asking you to cover yourself in barbeque sauce so that you'd taste better.

AS for the Entropy Equation... hell. Lore has indicated that they've cleaned up several galaxies already. They probably are pretty confident with their current plan .And the way the Hivemind thinks isn't really specified. Its perfectly possible that is biologically hard-coded to not even rationalize/consider asking.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The closest thing current nids have to diplomats is genestealer cultists sired by Hive Fleet Tiamet.

Tiamet has claimed the system of the same name but hasn't eaten the native flora and fauna on the planets, instead they're actively bringing biomass from other systems to the largest planet in the system and are using it to build a large organic structure which resonates with extreme psychic power. Genestealer cultists from the cults loyal to Tiamet make pilgrimages to the system, and are then sent back out into the galaxy. This is odd as normally hive fleets just eat any cultists they come across, Tiamet is the first fleet to actually use them for some sort of longer term plan.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

"Cultural outreach"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 787 788 [789] 790 791 ... 824