Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 944767 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: WH40K discussion thread: TTS is dead: so long, and thanks for all the bolters.
« Reply #12045 on: November 28, 2021, 12:04:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the most succint and impressive summary of the decline of the IoM into barbarism and desperation

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K discussion thread: TTS is dead: so long, and thanks for all the bolters.
« Reply #12046 on: November 28, 2021, 03:41:57 pm »

My only quibble is that mankind's civilisation was always a dystopian nightmare in the 40k setting. Based on some of the tech that survived the Long Night the previous civilisation was big on slavery, genetic experiments and mind re-wiring technology in addition to their super lasers and time based weaponry.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12047 on: November 28, 2021, 08:08:36 pm »

mankind's civilisation was always a dystopian nightmare

Might be onto something there...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12048 on: November 29, 2021, 07:17:37 am »

My only quibble is that mankind's civilisation was always a dystopian nightmare in the 40k setting. Based on some of the tech that survived the Long Night the previous civilisation was big on slavery, genetic experiments and mind re-wiring technology in addition to their super lasers and time based weaponry.
"Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?"

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12049 on: December 07, 2021, 07:39:45 am »

The Council of Elrond replaces the High Lords of Terra. Do they do a better job?

No prep. They learn on the job.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12050 on: December 07, 2021, 08:36:30 am »

No. They would do a terrible job.

None of them have any experience administrating such a large empire, navigating the political landscape of such a hostile nation or the proper use of Imperial assets. They wouldn't be able to run any of the agencies that make up the Imperium, understand it's wars, economy or anything much of it really.

They'd all likely wind up dead within a few years as ambitious underlings murdered them or they fell afoul of the Inquisition, Assasinorum, Custodes or Astartes for being incompetent.

Gandalf would probably become a daemon. He feared the ring's power to corrupt him, and the Warp has so much more power to offer. Of course being an immortal spirit already, Gandalf would probably be a daemon simply by existing in 40k.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12051 on: December 07, 2021, 09:14:56 am »

INSTEAD OF A DARK LORD YOU WOULD HAVE A DALF!
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12052 on: December 07, 2021, 01:49:28 pm »

The Council of Elrond would immediately be captured and executed for not being human.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12053 on: December 07, 2021, 06:40:42 pm »

The Council of Elrond replaces the High Lords of Terra. Do they do a better job?

No prep. They learn on the job.
Gimli son of Gloin would make for a very effective representative for Mars. Stubborn, bellicose yet nevertheless capable of steadfast support to his factional foes & erstwhile friends. He could balance the Mechanicus's desire to hoard STCs with the need to actually cultivate alliances with the Imperium's departments.
Boromir for the head of the Administratum, easily. The Captain of Gondor would make for an inspiring and rejuvenating force in Imperial governance, and would likely be the nucleus of an Imperial rennaisance as he leads a new crusade into the east against the tyranids and chaos. Thematically, it would be appropriate if he ended up dying due to some Inquisitorial intrigue after they suspect he was flirting with the radical idea of using chaos to defend humanity.
Aragorn for the master of the Inquisition. His knowledge of many languages, how to be sneaky, blend into all societies (he is equally at place in a dingy inn at Bree or in the highest halls of Gondor or Lothlorien), close quarters combat & experience fighting fell sorcery or armies of the dead mark his as competent for the role. Most of all, he is objective-driven and lacks the complete compassion Boromir has which could lead to damnation or hesitation. Aragorn is always driving the party onwards if it means the destruction of Sauron and the restoration of Arnor. He is likewise ambitious yet immune to the temptations of power. The only issue he has is the Ordo Xenos might look a bit askance at his marriage with an Eldar who became a human.
Gandalf I'd completely typecast as the head of the Astronomicon. It's the only place I think Gandalf could be placed where he wouldn't cause loads of damage; his power works against him in 40k because chaos is corruptive like the ring.
Elrond would make a fine fit for being in charge of the Psykers. A powerful psyker like himself who can see the future, resist evil and has a nurturing personality would have a very positive effect on an institution charged with nurturing humanity's latent psyker abilities into something which is safe and useful.
Samwise Gamgee for head of the Officio Assassinorium. Don't fuck with SAM
I'd put Pippin in charge of the Ecclesiarchy. Just because it would be funny, and the Ecclesiarchy is already dysfunctional so putting Pippin in charge would just make it a different kind of dysfunctional. I guess on a more serious note Pippin is an inspirational leader, successfully rousing the Shire against Saruman's remnants so he could pull off a great demagogue.
Legolas and Glorfindel for High Admiral and Lord Militant of the Guard respectively. Having two steadfast commanders and warriors in charge would help the two most powerful armed factions in the Imperium represent themselves confidently in the face of the other's personalities; they'd also be stiff enough to resist any lobbying pressure from their own powerful subordinates.
Frodo and Bilbo can be in charge of the Navigators. Their unparalleled charting and journeying could do them fine there as liaison for the navigators; their non-judgemental personalities and ability to make friends of hostile mutant hobbits would serve them well when representing hostile mutant humans.
Merry for the Arbites. Merry is an MVP who stiffens the resolve of everyone around him. Through his actions and words Theoden is roused from despair and Eowyn slaughters the Witch King of Angmar. If the Arbites started acting more like Merry you'd see a lot more outreach to the underhive and a lot less paramilitary invasions of the underhive. Being able to tap into the latent courage of all of the Imperium would be a great boon to their forces - I'm reminded of one short story where a tyranid invasion started stalling when it squared off against the gangers of the underhive.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12054 on: December 11, 2021, 05:19:47 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vEi1xehTs

Space Marine 2 revealed.

Nice to see Titus back, but I kinda wish they hadn't included the Primaris stuff. To be expected I suppose. Flagship game has to push the flagship canon. Ah well. It probably won't really come up that much in game, I hope.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12055 on: December 11, 2021, 05:42:33 pm »

Well. Congratulations, you've doomed the game to mention or display primaris junk every ten minutes on the dot. Random valkyries will be flying by in the background of fights flying one of those ad things behind them reading PRIMARIS, and it's entirely your cursed words to blame :P

When a hormagaunt jumps across the screen like a ballet dancer, holding a billboard with Primaris plastered across it, you will know who's at fault.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12056 on: December 11, 2021, 06:13:15 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vEi1xehTs

Space Marine 2 revealed.

Nice to see Titus back, but I kinda wish they hadn't included the Primaris stuff. To be expected I suppose. Flagship game has to push the flagship canon. Ah well. It probably won't really come up that much in game, I hope.

It was pretty inevitable they'd set any new games with him in the current time period rather than pre-Indomitus Crusade, and Guilliman's sons kind of jumped onto his new initiative with reckless abandon, so it would honestly be weird if he wasn't a primaris at this point. The Ultramarines are sort of implied to be entirely primaris now, in that way that GW implies things without outright stating them when they update or change things and want to leave room for people to use old stuff.

As is the primaris only usually get focused on when facing chaos marines with a speaking role, who's take on primaris is generally humorous variants on 'oh shit, they're taller now,'* when dealing with old marines who don't trust the primaris, or when dealing with the problems that came up during the primaris rollout in universe, like the Brazen Drakes. If every space marine in the game is primaris, it shouldn't come up at all.

*In fact I need to ask my brother which of the books it was that had the Alpha Legion squad dealing with them and just being so damn tired of everyone's shit. Same book featured a chaos lord of Khorne who had become so mutated he didn't fit in, or need, his power armour, instead having bulletproof brass skin and being the size of a dreadnought.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12057 on: December 11, 2021, 10:48:02 pm »

When a hormagaunt jumps across the screen like a ballet dancer, holding a billboard with Primaris plastered across it, you will know who's at fault.
Ballet dancing in Space Hulk is deep lore

Edit: Oops, fixed link.  Weird that the auto-link thing doesn't like the close-parentheses.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:59:32 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12058 on: December 11, 2021, 11:48:21 pm »

Link seems to be working a little oddly (for some reason, following it leaves the closing paren off?), but getting there... that may be the most amazing artwork I've seen come out of an apparently legitmate 40k product.

e: or at least as legitimate as a dragon magazine supplement gets, I guess
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:54:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12059 on: December 12, 2021, 05:24:31 am »

This is what 40k should be all about
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 824