Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder (Now run by Rolepgeek)  (Read 9753 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Considering how the other game is basically determined, I'm going to be running another game of Vanigo's empire builder.  Here's the custom stuff that is going to be done with the game I am running:

Victories (Turn 25 minimum):
War: Control 70% of all capitals on the map.
Diplomatic: Being elected the leader of an alliance that contains over 80% of the towns on the map.
Technological: Control a 6 population city with every building built (only 3 of the fire/death/earth/water/etc. mana halls are required).
Population: Have 60% of the population

Features that I am going to be implementing:
Barbarians (Random, similar tiered units will spawn occasionally and move based on the results of a 1d8, unless within 2 tiles of a city, where it will be a 1d3 in the direction of the city)
Independent Cities (Cities not controlled by any players.  Will not expand more than the max improvement of a size 5 city.  Claiming is based on rivers, then plains, then forests, then swamps, then mountains, then deserts, then oceans.  They will send out soldiers to patrol their territory.  Buildings will be primarily combat oriented.  May spawn at any time, in a place determined by a roll of 2 dice.)
Random (Starting location is determined by a roll of 2 dice.  To keep things fair, terrain will be built in after starting location is determined.  Due to this, the map is going to be constructed after all players join.)

Tutorial for those who have not played
GM interface
Player interface
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:28:32 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 06:47:17 pm »

I'm sorely tempted, and I like those various win conditions, but I don't want to dominate all games. I'll see how subscribed this gets.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 06:56:35 pm »

Uhhh...The technological victory kinda worries me. The Diplomatic victory seems nigh impossible to achieve.

As for options, it sounds like we can vote whether to include them? Or no?

But I would indeed like to participate, please.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:18:15 pm »

As for options, it sounds like we can vote whether to include them? Or no?

I wanted to have something better there than "stuff I am going to be doing", so no to voting.

Uhhh...The technological victory kinda worries me. The Diplomatic victory seems nigh impossible to achieve.

What about it worries you and what sounds reasonable for the Diplomatic?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:24:59 pm »

What about it worries you and what sounds reasonable for the Diplomatic?
It seems lopsidedly easy/difficult to accomplish. I just get the feeling that it is. Maybe I'm just paranoid. It seems like it would be either incredibly difficult to accomplish or incredibly easy.

As for Diplomatic, 80% of towns in the game just sounds ludicrous to convince other players of, especially when I have no idea how interacting with those City-States(that's what they are, face it) will work. I also don't understand how the voting works; does each faction get one vote? Do you have to earn favor with city-states to get their votes? Is it each town that gets a vote?

Also, War seems kinda silly cuz' you could just start spamming cities at a certain point every two tiles to get 70%. Why not just make it that you have to be in control of every faction's capital(including city-states!) OR be the last human player still alive(fulfilling either one would result in a victory)?

Also: You could call the "options" 'custom features that I will be implementing'
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 08:06:35 pm »

In for sure.
Uhhh...The technological victory kinda worries me.
There are tons of buildings in the game. Since you can only build one per turn, it means it would take ages to get them all. So basically its really easy, but only if you have 40 turns to spend getting all the buildings and can afford the costs of spending a large portion of your labor on things that aren't particularly useful.
((You may also want it to require 3 of the mana halls, so that it has all of them excluding opposites)).
Modding in some wonder buildings specifically for this victory condition would be cool too.
Also, War seems kinda silly cuz' you could just start spamming cities at a certain point every two tiles to get 70%. Why not just make it that you have to be in control of every faction's capital(including city-states!) OR be the last human player still alive(fulfilling either one would result in a victory)?
I agree with your thoughts on war, having to take all the capitals seems a better win condition.
E:
I'm sorely tempted, and I like those various win conditions, but I don't want to dominate all games. I'll see how subscribed this gets.
I doubt you will win that easily, since I am going to be in this game your chance of victory goes down to nearly 0.  :P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:14:10 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:05:28 pm »

1) As for Diplomatic, 80% of towns in the game just sounds ludicrous to convince other players of, especially when I have no idea how interacting with those City-States(that's what they are, face it) will work. I also don't understand how the voting works; does each faction get one vote? Do you have to earn favor with city-states to get their votes? Is it each town that gets a vote?

2) Also, War seems kinda silly cuz' you could just start spamming cities at a certain point every two tiles to get 70%. Why not just make it that you have to be in control of every faction's capital(including city-states!) OR be the last human player still alive(fulfilling either one would result in a victory)?

3) Also: You could call the "options" 'custom features that I will be implementing'

1) Each member of the faction votes on who will be leader at the formation of the alliance.  Every 5 turns a new vote is called.  Each faction member gets one vote, one additional per 5 population.  City states will have a five part meter to determine how much they like an individual civilization: Furious (1-3), Annoyed (4-7), Neutral (8-13), Favorable (14-17), and Joyous (18-20).  Parenthesis denote the range of roll of initial view of you upon first contact (when your borders contact).  Stationing troops close to borders decreases favorability.  Declaring war reduces favorability to 1 for 10 turns plus how far away favorability was from 20 (10+(20-X), where X is the favorability before war).  An open road (except in times of war) provides a +2 to favorability.  Trade results in variable favorability boost depending on the ratio, how much of a resource they have, and how much they need the resource you are offering them.  Declaring war on those they do not like boosts favorability, while trading with those they do not like reduces favorability.  This includes other city-states, since the same five part meter works between them, though with a 1d5 determining whether things change (1 reduces by 1, 2-4 are no change, 5 is a slight boost).  City-states vote for those who have the greatest favorability with.  You can rent soldiers from city-states at a cost of 20 gold minus favorability.
2) Changed 'cities' to 'capitals'
3) Done.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:17:09 pm »

In as well. I'd love for another chance to beat the pants off everyone like I did last time I played ;D
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 10:20:12 pm »

Could people post the color they want to have, capital's name, and country name, please?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 10:34:07 pm »

Color shall be TEAL, Capital shall be Terav, Country shall be Teravalia.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 10:34:22 pm »

Blue, Name of Talrathian Concordat, Capital White Flows
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:55:56 pm »

"Liberal" Lime Green!, Republic of Boyd, capital Boydinia.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 11:32:56 pm »

Red, The Gardinyan Imperium, Lemonia
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 05:08:49 am »

I doubt you will win that easily, since I am going to be in this game your chance of victory goes down to nearly 0.  :P
them's fighting words mister

OKAY I will be...

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune of Nutopia in brown.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 06:26:40 am »

If there's still space, I'd like to join.

I'd like Black, as the Free People's United Republic of Democria.  My Capital will be Republistan.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10