Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Read the post, then tell me what you think.

Fits perfectly.
Looks good.
Ok I guess.
Not convinced.
This is bad.
This is very bad.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Please vote on this, its important - Human Guilds  (Read 5686 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Please vote on this, its important - Human Guilds
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 10:14:57 am »

Guildhall in the middle does the guild transformation (join guild), it does create the guild sigil (spawn creature), it has the upgrade reactions (unlock next extension), and thats it so far.

I thought about "challenges/requests". Its a free reaction that creates one item that is needed for a reward reaction, but only if you have the necessary other ingredients.

"The Masons Guild calls for 25 stone tables." - times out in 1 month.
If you manage to get 25 stone tables together, and that request item, you can bring everything to the Masons guild, get a huge reward. If you are too late? Too bad, you are stuck with all those tables.

IndigoFenix made something like that in his Mario mod, and I talked to him about importing it into MDF, but it never felt right for dwarves.

I also thought about map-wide spells/effects, similar to what Warlocks have. Each new guildhall would add one new reaction as well, but I havent spend much thought on those yet.

Another thing would be skills. A guild could automagically train a member to a set skill level, for example a Masons Guild level 3 can instantly add masonry, mining, stonecutting and architecture level 3 to any human you have. Kinda like the dwarven library works. So a level 5 farmers guild adds 5 levels of farming to everyone who can afford it. ;)

But I want to put skill training in the universities, which is much neater. :)

But I am open to all suggestions. What would you put in there?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 10:29:32 am »

It's an interesting idea, provided you can think of a unique 4 workshops for each guild that wouldn't just feel like pointless overcomplication.

What bothers me more is that it seems like just a more interesting variation on what Masterwork dwarves have already, with the multiple guild castes and all (the four-building structure would look nice with a four-element magic system, wouldn't it?).  However, this system seems more suitable for humans than for dwarves altogether - humans are known for variety, ongoing development, and specialization, while Our Dwarves are All The Same.

Maybe if the guild system was removed or downplayed for dwarves and ported over to humans (with some upgrades such as the ones you have here), while dwarves gained more options in the mining/metalworking/magma/Armok area, it would fit better.  I know I've said it before: now that there are more races than when MWDF began, it might be reasonable to remove some of the bloat from dwarves and port them to more suitable species.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:25 am »

This suggestion is actually related to size. Please at least release the large guilds, regardless of all the people taking about space. I think spacial constraints are an interesting part of this mod, and introduces a new element not present in the unmodified game.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 10:59:04 am »

IndigoFenix: Thats the plan. :) I want to remove the traders at least from dwarves, because we now have a trading-civ. Maybe leave 1 merchant for dwarves.

The workshops with content shouldnt be a problem, in fact, I just finished the list:

carpenter north - sawmill
carpenter east - woodcrafter
carpenter south - shredder
carpenter west - exotic woodworker (exotic trees/woods)

mason north - brick oven
mason east - stone cutter
mason west - archaeologist
mason south - rock forge

engineer north - coin mint
engineer east - trap engineer
engineer south - siege engineer
engineer west - cannon engineer

farmer north - screw press
farmer east - thatchery
farmer south - war kennels (animal training)
farmer west - herbalist (special plants/potions)

fisher north - fishpond1 (meat only)
fisher east -  fishpond2 (scales from fish)
fisher south - fishpond3 (shells from turtles)
fisher west- fishpond4 (pearls from mussels)

healer north - soap maker
healer east - apothecary
healer south - quarantine ward (some AoE effect against diseases)
healer west - fully recovery ward / intensive care (full heal)

merchant north - basic goods merchant
merchant east - fine goods merchant
merchant south - lavish goods merchant
merchant west - trading company (get large item requests, fulfill for large rewards)

cook north - culinary kitchen (has the new kitchen reactions, otherwise humans have vanilla kitchen)
cook east - brewery (has the new still reactions, otherwise humans have vanilla still)
cook south - slaughterhouse
cook west - booze burner (fuel from alcohol)

leatherworker north - great tanner (has new tanning reactions, otherwise humans have vanilla kitchen)
leatherworker east - leather upholstery (makes furniture from leather)
leatherworker south - leather refinery (leather upgrades)
leatherworker west - tailor for upgraded leather sets/armor

jeweler north - gemcutter (item/furniture)
jeweler east - glasscutter (items/furniture)
jeweler south - gemforge (weapons/armor)
jeweler west - glassforge (weapons/armor)

smith north - crucible (steel manufactury)
smith east - great forge (weapons)
smith south - great forge (armor)
smith west - blast furnace (batch smelting)

tailor north - tailor for clothing sets
tailor east - unravelling machine (get thread back from cloth, cloth back from items)
tailor south - greater dyery (specific dyeing process)
tailor west - silk farm (might need live silkworm colonies)

I am quite ok with how it is. The Healers Guild is the worst though, I might make them general science/research guild-something... with Alchemy, Chemistry and Healing. It was the only one where I had problems getting 4 workshops together.

Smarkand: I will leave the size like it is in the example, I chose it for a reason. The reason is: Large towns. :) The more you build, the harder it is to wall in and defend.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 11:19:54 am »

Well, with 50% saying perfect and 50% saying good, and 0% saying ok, not ok, bad, very bad... I guess I continue with that idea. :)

Here a fully upgraded masons guild:
Level 1 - Brick Oven - Makes blocks
Level 2 - Stonecutter - Makes items/furniture from blocks
Level 3 - Rockforge - Makes weapons/armors from blocks
Level 4 - Archeologist - Restores fossils

Edit: And Engineers Guild.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:38:45 am by Meph »

fucduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 11:43:07 am »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:08:47 am by fucduck »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 12:07:05 pm »

It's a good change from the regular workshops. Plus I see how we can stocpile goods on the corner.

However, how do you get in ?

If you ave trouble with the healer guild, you can make an surgeon workshop to mass produce splint, crutches,  threads from cloth and other medical goodies.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:10:40 pm by Boltgun »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 12:25:58 pm »

Lol, the third person asking about doors. :D

I post this complicated game mechanic of upgrades and economy, progression and all that, and people ask about doors :P I will add some. But all workshops I do have no solid tiles, ever. You will not find any solid tiles in any workshop I make.

Azuraal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 12:56:55 pm »

Why people want doors? I will probably make a building for each guild and double walls and doors will look awkward. I want these guild building to have no walls and no doors.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 01:00:15 pm »

Why people want doors? I will probably make a building for each guild and double walls and doors will look awkward. I want these guild building to have no walls and no doors.
In this spirit, I do like the engineers design better because it's open.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »

What I like:
* The guild system
* Forcing to put industries together to form quarters
* The mechanics of the guild guard creature that provides the area of effect boost around the centre building

What I don't like:
* that is a set of buildings, specially the "wings" mechanics, carpenter North, South, and such, I'd rather have them treated as workshops like Sawmill, Shredder, etc...
* that the only thing forcing the workshops to be close together is a creature that you can move... isn't it possible to have the boost be emitted by the centre workshop itself? I'd prefer forcing the area of effect to be centred on the guild hall workshop and this be the mechanic that forces you to build the other workshops around it, and expand the AoE as you upgrade the guild hall...

My two cents:
* what if I want to build say 5 sawmills to have humans working on parallel mass making planks? would I need to build 5 whole sets of carpenter's guilds and upgrade them all to that point?
* what I'm thinking about is flexibility to build your industry quarters, let's say you build the centre guild hall, have it give an AoE boost and use it to produce more "guards/pilons" (or expand the AoE of the Guild hall itself) to expand the AoE buffs or compound it (at a higher cost each) and let you build each workshop individually, the mechanics would push you to build all the workshops of the same industry close together to get the benefits from the buffs, forming the industry quarters that's a great idea, but would also allow flexibility to have say a "quarter" that mass produces planks with several sawmills... if you want the other workshops you either expand the AoE or make room by destroying extra sawmills to get the space in the AoE back...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:05:42 pm by Kaos »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 01:14:43 pm »

* that is a set of buildings, specially the "wings" mechanics, carpenter North, South, and such, I'd rather have them treated as workshops like Sawmill, Shredder, etc...
They are not called north, south, etc. Only the base building is called that. You build a "Guild Extension (North)" and upgrade it into a Sawmill. Or a Fishpond. Or whatever else is available at the time.

* that the only thing forcing the workshops to be close together is a creature that you can move... isn't it possible to have the boost be emitted by the centre workshop itself? I'd prefer forcing the area of effect to be centred on the guild hall workshop and this be the mechanic that forces you to build the other workshops around it, and expand the AoE as you upgrade the guild hall...
Possible, but you would need to run the reaction than, every time you want that boost. People might set it to repeat, which breaks autosyndrome.

* what if I want to build say 5 sawmills to have humans working on parallel mass making planks? would I need to build 5 whole sets of carpenter's guilds and upgrade them all to that point?
No, not at all. You can build as many extensions as you like, wherever you like. You just need the high-level guild once to unlock the buildmat. Run the reaction "Issue a Sawmill licence", and you get the reagent you need to upgrade to a Sawmill. You can build 5 of them if you want.

* what I'm thinking about is flexibility to build your industry quarters, let's say you build the centre guild hall, have it give an AoE boost and use it to produce more "guards/pilons" (or expand the AoE of the Guild hall itself) to expand the AoE buffs or compound it (at a higher cost each) and let you build each workshop individually, the mechanics would push you to build all the workshops of the same industry close together to get the benefits from the buffs, forming the industry quarters that's a great idea, but would also allow flexibility to have say a "quarter" that mass produces planks with several sawmills... if you want the other workshops you either expand the AoE or make room by destroying extra sawmills to get the space in the AoE back...
I am either understanding you completely wrong, or you are describing something thats impossible to mod. Buildings dont give effects to workers in an area, only creatures can do that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 01:18:52 pm »

Speaking of open designs:

Edit... 24 workshops more to go... I need a break. ^^

Edit... only 5 more sets to go. Got all the guilds down, only need the extensions for them. 20 workshop to go...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:17:45 pm by Meph »

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 02:57:45 pm »

For the carpenter guild shredder (south)... Can you include that to be a charcoal/ ash producer?  Charcoal production was a major deal in that era for forestry workers due to the lack of coal mines. Maybe that's also where you'll make torches for mining to fight against bogeymen?

I agree that alchemy, chemistry, and healing all go together for the theme.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Endovior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 03:06:12 pm »

Huge guilds aren't a super-big problem to me, particularly since they're all the same size; I'd probably plunk staircases in the corners and make an "office tower".

That said, so far as the 'open-vs-closed' thing goes; personally, I find that walled-in designs like the Masons Guild look weird, because you're going be surrounding the thing with walls anyway.  On the other hand, 'empty' designs like the Farmers Guild N, or any of the Jewelers Guild addons, are worse, since it looks like they're full of empty unused space.  There should at least be something in the far corners, as with the Farmers Guild S; that's supposed to be kennels, so it makes sense that it's mostly empty, but the rope coils in the corner help define the boundaries of the space, as opposed to having random empty floor tiles being an integral part of the building.  If that makes sense at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5