Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Craftknives - Year 4 End - Death n' Death  (Read 12470 times)

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Craftknives - Year 2 End - We Hate Our Queen
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2014, 07:51:12 am »

That's why I made my narrator head out with the migrants at the end of my announcement.  He's "gone".  I will probably come back as some new form of psycho, next turn.

Well, if you want I can order the gem cutter ( currently at Great ) to cut some clay so he gains exp. I even named him after you already, he should be Legendary before Spring starts. But once that happens you'll be drilling with Skullsploder and me in the barracks, as we are all part of the military.

Hey, that can even become a tradition in Craftknives. All ex-overseers have to join military.

The report for Autumn should be up later today. 1 month so far, I'm finishing the 2nd floor and slowly roofing it over. I'll probably turn the 3rd floor into a huge stockpile. After all, we can't have all that crap lying around.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2014, 02:19:43 pm »

OK... we need to store it under a roof, unless we want stuff being stolen by flying things (yes, birds, I am looking at you O.O  )

Have we found any metal at all?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2014, 04:59:42 am »

Unfortunately, none so far. All I have is clay and gabbro.

Here's the raport for Autumn. It's another shortie.

Craftknives - Year 3 - Autumn

The goods brought by the humans are in process of being slowly melted. Leather armor is no good for us. It's better
than nothing, but metal armor is gonna be much better. Unfortunately, we have nothing better than copper and bronze
for now. But with first enemies, come first treasures, in form of precious iron and, Armok bless us, steel.

The huge 'put-everything-you-freaking-want' stockpile in the middle of the fortress is now history. Likewise, the
workshops are being moved upstairs for convenience. I will never trip on a random piece of stone ever again.

Some peasant reported that one of the brats started acting strange. We dwarves know what that means. That guy is
gonna make something, probably some other useless junk that's only good to peddle.

The reports aren't as promising as the last time. That bastard wants gems. How in the hell I'm supposed to get
them!? Miners have nothing so far! I can only hope they'll uncover something.

Meanwhile, my combat skills are the 2nd best in the whole fort, only bested by Skullsploder. But that'll soon change.
I'll surpass him soon enough.

The second floor is slowly being completed. There is a barracks and a room in which Iamblichos ( my precedessor ) is
working on improving his jeweler's skills. It's pretty ironic that we all are part of Skullsploder's squad. We must
think alike. There's no better protection that being a soldier.

I removed the artifact hatch from our mayor's room. She's done pissing me off, and even my squadmate pleas ( who is
her husband ) did nothing. However I did put a couple things in their room so that she would shut up. As long as
she's not complaining we'll be okay.

Well, she's still complaining, even now. That's why I'm placing a copper sarcophagus in her room, as a warning.

Migrants arrived! 2 worthless dwarfs and another FIVE children to feed. I'm thinking I'm even closer to children
extermination now.

I've ordered more kilns to be build. We needed way more clay than we were getting now. 5 kilns with permanently
working peasants is simply not cutting it.

Mayor came to me and said that hatch covers are no longer banned to sell. I couldn't care less, really. But as a
token of gratitude the space above her room is our new refuse stockpile.

As a howl roared through the fortress, I knew it; The kid broke because he was unable to complete his artifact.
Despite a small kid being minimal danger to the safety of the fort, we disposed of his imeddiately. I was highly
impressed of Skullsploder skill. Without a shred of mercy he rushed at the kid and... bitten him in a... rather
sensitive area ( I think that must've hurt more than the shattered ribs and hacked/slashed off legs. ) Too bad I
wasn't able to take a hit in. They disposed him off too quickly. And here I hoped to relieve some stress... The kid
wasn't too liked though; Not even his parents really cared about his death.

"It was inevitable." Was all they have said.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:09 am »

The reports aren't as promising as the last time. That bastard wants gems. How in the hell I'm supposed to get
them!?

That's funny... he must have wanted roughs.  I left you a huge chest of cut gems I found in the stone on the second layer.  Oh well.  Skilled craftsdwarfs are useful; skilled kids are emphatically not.  Into the river with him.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2014, 06:49:06 am »

them!?

That's funny... he must have wanted roughs.  I left you a huge chest of cut gems I found in the stone on the second layer.  Oh well.  Skilled craftsdwarfs are useful; skilled kids are emphatically not.  Into the river with him.

Yeah, I wanted to say rough gems. But it's partly your fault you. You should've saved some! :O

At least 1 bugger less to feed. And I finished the wall above the jeweler's workshop, so no birdies should be able to steal your cut gems.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:29 pm »

OK, let's get Winter knocked out and then... Who's got next turn?

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2014, 12:36:50 pm »

OK, let's get Winter knocked out and then... Who's got next turn?

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum's ( Quite a mouthful, lol ) turn is next. I should be done with Winter by tomorrow. I hope that Winter will be more interesting that what happened so far.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2014, 04:03:08 pm »

About no building underground, does that include staircases?

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2014, 08:47:32 am »

About no building underground, does that include staircases?

Precisely, on the level I was digging you are only allowed to make a single down or up/down stair. The level below mine is yours to dig freely, so you have to build a single up stair there. ( Because up,down stair would reveal anything below it, so it would be kinda cheate-y. )

Anyway, here's the final report for winter: ( with !!SCREENSHOTS!! )

Craftknives - Year 3 - Winter

The winter started with the arrival of the outpost liason and our caravan. Finally, we will be able to get some
precious iron and steel! Finally-

What? That mayor is at it, AGAIN. She wants another set of three crossbows. I'm tired of her, really.

Back to the caravan, they did bring us a couple bars of steel. That's great news for us. Even better news is that
they had quite a few steel crafts. Enough that we can even get a few sets of steel armor! We will celebrate tonight,
for sure. Skullsploders' face lit up when he saw all those hammers and maces. Figures.

Suddenly, we've heard the alarm! "GOBLINS! GOBLINS ARE ATTACKING!"

I'm glad I've decided to employ sentries. We've wasted no time to prepare; The gate has been ordered to be closed while I went to learn more about the enemy.

"What are the enemy's numbers?"

"Sir, so war we have discovered 6 enemies. It is unknown if there aren't more nearby."

"What about their equipment?"

"They have a mixture of clothes and copper armor. They all seem to be using spears and pikes."

Well then, that shouldn't cause us much trouble. We've been decent soldiers, after all. Besides, the caravan guards had our backs. Such small force would never break thr-

"The gate failed to close! The gate failed to close!"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

May Armok damn our engineers! If that was a full-blown siege we'd be done for. Fortunately that was just a couple of weaklings. We didn't really have to do much, since the caravan guards got them before we could. We had no casaulties on our side.

Well, we did catch one in our traps. We'll treat him with utmost Dwarven hospitality, mwa ha ha ha ha!

A glassmaker has been struck with a fey mood. A glass furnace had to be built for him. Unfortunately, he needed what
we couldn't give him; rough gems. Meanwhile the Mayor YET AGAIN came over and demanded a construction of a hatch
cover. That worthless elf!

Meanwhile, I've been followed by a single dwarf. That's when it hit me; That was our liason! I completely forgot
about him! I apologized for my rude behaviour but he seemed okay. He'd make a way better mayor than our is, frankly.

I've requested more metal to be supplied to our growing settlement. Then I get ANOTHER request from our cursed Mayor!

Obviously, ONE HATCH COVER wasn't enough! She wants 2 more now! What a b****. Meanwhile I get an raport that our fishery worker died of dehydration on his bed. If that moron would drink booze that wouldn't happen. Ordering us to bring him MERE WATER in WINTER when the river is FROZEN!?

Our glassmaker is about to go crazy... Wait, did I say crazy!? HE WENT STARK RAVING MAD! To top it off, THE MAYOR IS AT
IT AGAIN! F*** IT! I QUIT! I QUIT! I QUIT! Whoever comes after me I hope he can handle that mess!

Stocks Screen:

First Floor + Entrance:

Second Floor:

Third Floor:

And here is the save.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically what you ( Kaladin ) need to do is melt the remaining crafts ( and probably some of the weapons ) make some armor from the steel and roof over the stockpile floor. And do something about the Mayor.

Iamblichos, your dwarf is High Master so I guess it's okay if he remains named, right? Oh, I forgot to tell you... Your dwarf is Mayor's HUSBAND. My deepest condolences, man. :(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:53:47 am by KiBoy »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftknives - Year 3 End - Damned Mayor
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2014, 11:43:54 am »

Why are you hating on my wife??  Eh... nevermind.  She can be a little difficult.  Why do you think I spend so many hours in my jewelry shop?

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2014, 11:49:31 am »

I mean, if I dug down into the caverns could I build up stairs and floors to reach a wall?
And are the crafts marked to melt already?

And I'll start playing later today, when I'm done work.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:51:26 am by Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum »

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2014, 12:09:46 pm »

Commander Skullsploder of Craftknives cools his rear on the icy surface of the river, back against the curtain wall of the fortress, and laments on the poor defense mentality of the fort's leaders

Ah hate t'be te elf in tis fort (May oor Queen find hairself anside a coffin made o' hair beloffed elf-erotica), bu' ah've gotta know... d'we ha' a way te ge' the water oota te river af thair es a siege? Ah mean, a siege maines fightin' an ah lov' fightin', bu' som' o' oor boys ain't so toff. Fightin' maines som' injuries, an' we all kno' tha' a restin' dwarf can only drank water. Fact es, wit' tem gobbos usin tem bows an soch, oor boys are ceirten te' take a copla' bolts. An' dat 'minds me, dem idiots pu' te' civehlian stoff waire te mairksdwarves is menna stan'. Noo, inste' o' shootin well armoured dwarves who ha' shields an soch, dem gobbos getta shoot oor gemcotters an adder dwarves wi'oot shields. We need an in-tee-ree-or wall fer te second floor as we ever wants te use dat clever patway fer wagons an soch dat ah desoigned - wi'oot civehlians dyin'.

After thinking for a bit, listeners in on Skullsploders rant realised that he meant that the second floor of the fort needed a wall to separate the military marksdwarf fortifications from the civilian stockpiles ("a damn good idea, that," they unanimously thought), and that the fort needed safe access to water in the event of a siege.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2014, 12:30:15 pm »

Why are you hating on my wife??  Eh... nevermind.  She can be a little difficult.  Why do you think I spend so many hours in my jewelry shop?

Dude, DIVORCE. Seriously.

I mean, if I dug down into the caverns could I build up stairs and floors to reach a wall?
And are the crafts marked to melt already?

And I'll start playing later today, when I'm done work.

Some, if not most are designated for melt. You'll need to make some charcoal and cut some more trees later on. And if you dig into caverns, you are allowed to go up single z-level and place your stairs in another spot in case digging would be impossible. Or better yet, get the Queen to visit and kill her. Then we will be free to dig and do whatever we want underground.

Commander Skullsploder of Craftknives cools his rear on the icy surface of the river, back against the curtain wall of the fortress, and laments on the poor defense mentality of the fort's leaders

Ah hate t'be te elf in tis fort (May oor Queen find hairself anside a coffin made o' hair beloffed elf-erotica), bu' ah've gotta know... d'we ha' a way te ge' the water oota te river af thair es a siege? Ah mean, a siege maines fightin' an ah lov' fightin', bu' som' o' oor boys ain't so toff. Fightin' maines som' injuries, an' we all kno' tha' a restin' dwarf can only drank water. Fact es, wit' tem gobbos usin tem bows an soch, oor boys are ceirten te' take a copla' bolts. An' dat 'minds me, dem idiots pu' te' civehlian stoff waire te mairksdwarves is menna stan'. Noo, inste' o' shootin well armoured dwarves who ha' shields an soch, dem gobbos getta shoot oor gemcotters an adder dwarves wi'oot shields. We need an in-tee-ree-or wall fer te second floor as we ever wants te use dat clever patway fer wagons an soch dat ah desoigned - wi'oot civehlians dyin'.

After thinking for a bit, listeners in on Skullsploders rant realised that he meant that the second floor of the fort needed a wall to separate the military marksdwarf fortifications from the civilian stockpiles ("a damn good idea, that," they unanimously thought), and that the fort needed safe access to water in the event of a siege.

Well, I didn't really concentrate on defense, really. There are people that can do that much better than I do. Besides, I wasn't the one who started these. When I started playing I was seriously confused as why the inner walls are designated for carving. As to the second question, it shouldn't be difficult to get a part of the river into our fort and put walls around it and make a well, but since the water is frozen about half of the year... Not much to do about it. The best defense are me and Skull anyway ( Professional Axedwarf and Master Maceman, respectively ) . Others seem to be low-level at their weapons yet.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2014, 01:05:03 pm »

Yes I tried to make an aboveground well, but it all froze and rendered the whole experiment void.  About half the year the well would be frozen if its above ground... we are going to be SOL with the current set up.  A wound is a death sentence at this point.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2014, 09:04:59 pm »

6th of granite, 129.
The mayor yelled down to me in the mines "Stop selling our hatch covers!". Not that we were anyways...

8th of granite, 129.
No one has seen the giant thrips for over a week. I'm not sure how you lose one of those, but we did.

27th of granite, 129.
Not much is happening. We have tonnes of idlers & children. I put a gold statue in the mayor's room, so she stopped complaining.

2nd slate, 129.
Migrants have arrived. Yay! Because we needed more people... 15 dwarves, and seven are children.

5th slate, 129.
A snatcher got caught in a cage trap. Too bad, we could have gotten rid of a kid.

9th slate, 129.
Another snatcher noticed outside, then ran into a cage.
And apparently the symbol of our civilization is a hatch cover. I wonder who chose that...

12th slate, 129.
Who makes a barracks then doesn't allow anyone to use it?
And another snatcher.

20th slate, 129.
The crazy glass maker finally died today. (S)he will be missed.

23rd slate, 129.
A thief this time! Drive them away!
I've been told the elven queen if a woodcrafter.

2nd Felsite, 129.
The mayor is so happy we haven't sold any hatch covers, she threw us all a party.

15th Felsite, 129.
Goden the bone doctor stopped eating in the middle of a meal and ran out, shouting about a great idea he had. He has taken over the boyer's workshop. But now he want's rough gems. Who cut all our gems?!?

17th Felsite, 129.
The elves have arrived.

22nd Felsite, 129.
An ambush! Everyone, get inside!

23rd Felsite, 129.
A second squad!

24th Felsite, 129.
Iamblichos was slain on the bridge battling goblins alone, he was raising his axe to strike down a goblin when he was cowardly cut down from behind.
Three members of the military were slain before I called the order to retreat.
27th Felsite, 129.
Skullsploder ran out against orders to get revenge, and was slain fighting three goblins.

It is now summer, and the goblins are waiting at our gates.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8