Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Cavern Keep - [Pixel RPG] & [ISG]  (Read 15328 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern Keep - [Pixel RPG] & [ISG]
« on: June 28, 2014, 11:10:24 am »

Cavern Keep
~
War for the Underworld

Deep in the bowels of the earth, not once exposed to the light of sun or stars, there lies a maze of caverns, tunnels and caves. Some of them are natural, whilst others were made by those that find shelter in these domains, or at least once did so. In this vast network,  most densizens never have seen the light of day, why, yes – in the deepest parts some even suspect the surface to be mere myth.

Deep in these very bowels, a crimson spectre glows in the dark. The sparse lightning around it is only able to lift the darkness that lays upon the surrounding ruins slightly. Those observant enough would be able to make out the remains of what once was a massive keep, but now some of the walls are toppled, overgrown with gnarled, thorny roots and occasional dotted with iridescent fungi. What remains of the tiled floor is sparkling with mist, many of the plates uprooted, broken and covered with moss.

The blood-red shade slowly hovers above the messy ground, making its way towards a runed structure. For what seems like hours it mutters an incantation filled with almost unspeakable sounds, and as it finally touches the obsidian archway, the runes on it flicker and start to glow. A wicked grin appears on the ghostly face, light beams from the black stone – and a maelstrom of energies slowly but surely comes to life.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The ghostly creature is not longer able to contain itself, and distorted laughter is resounding throughout the ruins. Euphorically, the ancient creature begins to call upon those that reside within the limbo of the portal, appraises them – and summons those that would heed its command to its stead. Sparks fly from the portal, with figure after figure breaching out of the red vortex, not unlike one would emerge from water.  After the sixth creature has stridden out, the energies weaken, a faint glow indicating the portals dormancy.

Bearing a fanged smile, the ghostly overlord seizes up the arrivals and after doing so, grants them a single, approving nod.

"You did well in coming here. I am Ignacius, your new keeper."
"We have much to discuss, and – so I fear – even more to do..."

~

Well then, let me extend a welcome to "Cavern Keep". As those lucky enough to remember, the resemblance to Dungeon Keeper is intended. Expect a mash-up of Dwarf Fortress, said Dungeon Keeper, D&D, hopefully some amount of roleplay and me trying in vain to implement tongue in cheek that others than myself find humorous. A special mention goes to Him Who is not to be named, and his work Dungeon Keeper RPG – allegedly one of the main inspirations for this game.

Basic Gameplay:
As you might see, this will be full of more or less pretty 32x32 pictures! Good for you! ;3
There will be 6 Players at first, and we will go from there.
A plethora of races, abilities and crafts can be chosen below. XP, levels and similar things are explained alongside.

Every day is spent in 4 shifts, with most races feeling the need to spend one of them asleep.
You will also need one portion of food and drink every day, safe special cases who may have more, other or no needs at all.
The player actions are free-form, and pretty much up to you. Just be prepared for a long wait or failure if you try something too outrageous. Or the occasional no.
Fatigue, Mood, Tools and Assistants – or lack thereof – all provide a bonus or malus to associated actions. Tomes, a real anvil, sparring partners or a rack do wonders for the trade after all.

An interesting addition will the be The Overlord, who will be open to reasonable suggestions – by players and readers alike.
If said Overlord grows in might, he will be able to aid his champions with spells, summoning workers, pawns or even additional champions. (The later point strongly depending on my opinion of the matter ;3 )
These boons ought to keep the players a bit more together than it was the case in dungeon keeper rpg, where things went quite haywire on multiple occasions.

Character Creation:
First off – take your time. This will not be "First come, First served". I will wait a day or two, and then decide.
I also want to mention that I would like a nice pace on this project, so if you only have time to post on the weekends, will be gone for a month in two weeks or similar, please refrain from participating as a champion for now, and keep to suggestions for the Overlord instead. I really want to get at least 2 a' 3 updates out on a weekly basis.

Attributes:
Every character starts with 2 points in every attribute – safe racial modifiers. These give +1 to mentioned attributes.
You get 5 points to spend on attributes, with attributes at 5 / 3 points spending being the maximum for now.
More attributes can be appointed on gaining higher creature levels, with most races also able to spend them on higher racial skills instead. Some passive racial traits level up by them-self at given creature levels.

Skills:
You have 10 points to spend on skills and abilities, with level 5 – Skilled – being the limit on creation.
Some magic can't be learned by specific races, or the other way around, but I trust that you can read  the glaring red restrictions by yourself.
Each Craft and Magic School cost 2 points to learn initially. Leveling them up costs only 1 point, so have at them.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Yeah.. here is why I did not update ghoulish for a while. If there are any questions, do feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:03:31 pm by escaped lurker »

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Keep - [Pixel RPG 0/6] & [ISG]
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 11:12:37 am »

This definitely look interesting, will make sheet in the morning after i wake up

Edit i assume the willpower is wisdom right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:19:19 am by Varee »
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 11:19:06 am »

Whoops. Forgot to make a place-holder. Almost always find a use for them, you see.. ;3

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:29:16 am »

I suppose I should participate in a game at some point.

Name: Royl the Bland
Race: Animated Armor

Attributes:

Strength: 3
Endurance: 2
Agility: 3
Wisdom: 3
Intelligence: 3
Charisma: 3

Skills:

Melee: 2
Ranged: 1
Cavalry: 1
Sneaking: 1
Observation: 1
Trapping: 1
Tactics: 1
Metalworker: 1
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 11:29:46 am »

Reserving! So this is what you have been preparing? Yeah!

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:40:58 am »

Is the ranged skill taken into account when using ranged magic?
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:42:19 am »

Is the ranged skill taken into account when using ranged magic?

Nope. It is only used for bows, thrown weaponary and odd stuff like blow-guns. Magic works fine on its own.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:44:26 am »

Name: Izak the Purple.
Race: Fallen

Attributes: You get 5 points to spend, and already start at 2 with each attribute

Strength: 2
Agility: 2
Wisdom: 4
Intelligence: 5
Charisma: 2

Skills: Necromancer 2, Daemonolouge 1, Loremaster 1, Ambassador 1, Sneaking 1.

Backstory: After being banished, began to study necromancy. A slew of undying, mindless slaves would fit his purposes just well. History was filled with men cast down by those above them rising again and defeating their masters. He can't really recall who his master was, and why he was cast away, but it doesn't matter to him. He isn't as petty as others of his kind, he could care less about his master, what wanted was bigger. What he wanted was to rule. Even he would never come to own his own fiefdom, ruling a band of undead slaves to do his bidding will do just as well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:24:21 pm by Jboy2000000 »
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:44:53 am »

Name: Kogan the Fat
Race: Dwarf

Attributes:
Endurance: 4
Intelligence: 2

Skills:
Melee: 1
Ranged: 3
Alchemist: 4
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:10:17 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 11:48:38 am »

Name: Crest the Rebuilt
Race: Gargoyle

Attributes:

Intelligence: 4

Skills:
Loremaster 3
Earth Elementalist 3
Observation 1
Melee 1
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:07:23 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 11:49:47 am »

Name: Kogan the Fat
Race: Dwarf

Attributes:
Endurance: 4
Intelligence: 2

Skills:
Melee: 1
Ranged: 3
Alchemist: 4
Stoneworker: 1
Alchemist and Stoneworker are crafting skills, they cost 2 points for the first rank. You've spent 12, not 10.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 12:03:21 pm »

Hey, Lurker, just to be clear, If I invest in Hunting, it covers ranged combat and traps to an extent as well, right?

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 12:40:32 pm »

Hey, Lurker, just to be clear, If I invest in Hunting, it covers ranged combat and traps to an extent as well, right?

Yes - obviously to a somewhat lower extent than if you were to soley invest into these two skills seperately, but overall hunter should work out for the better.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 01:05:13 pm »

Name: Kashmar, the Blackened.
Race: Vampire (elf)

Racial skill: Wise

Attributes:

Wisdom: 3
Intelligence: 5

Skills:
Dark priest: 3
Bloodmage: 1
Loremaster: 1
Ambassador: 1

Backstory: a solitary keeper of knowledge, Kashmar was an introverted soul, but it was not something he cherished. His tasks were mostly boring and repetitive, with sentient contact being scarce. Depression often struck him, until he found company... in The Dark One. "Blessed" by him, he now serves his God as one of his many representatives.

Speech color (reserving): Purple

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 01:11:23 pm »

Questions and stuff (for the GM to read):
-I do not intend to get any bonuses from being an elven vampire, I just don't like goblins.
-What does the "Old Memories" trait do?
-Does drinking blood from a flask or something count as doing so from a living vessel?

Well, "Old Memories" does give you a bonus for being a "race" vampire. Pick one. ;3 (Some traits may not be approved, but elven traits all look fine to me)
Drinking blood not straight from the body of a living - or even dead - creature, is possible. Vampires even start with some provisions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11