Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: To Kill a Psion: Chapter Two: The Raid on the Queen's Tourney. IC thread.  (Read 14593 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To Kill a Psion: Chapter One: The Queen's Tourney. IC thread.
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 09:14:00 pm »

"That sounds good to me Guilhayl. I've not much experience with Sorcerers, but another magic user can't be amiss could it? The three, er, four of us working together, who could stand against us eh? No one is who! We should be able to take this Tourney by storm and prove that we are the greatest fighters and best suited for this hunt."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »

Guilhayl smiles nervously, trying to conceal his inner battle between getting to know Aela and contempt for sorcerers.
"G... great."
Having heard that sorcerers only know a few spells that they can cast without books as opposed to memorizing spells from books, Guilhayl tries to bring that up as a conversation point. However, he has no clue how to phrase it, and decides to take a drink from his mug instead.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 01:51:48 am »

Sit down at the table. You've got a lot of words inside you that need to be put to paper. Get out the journal. You know the one; bound in leather with your name embossed on the spine. It's a thick book, but most of it is blank. You jot the words and share your day with its pages, absent-mindedly grabbing the mug next to you and taking a drink. Suddenly, you realize your mistake and spit it onto the floor. Nasty stuff, isn't it?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 07:11:50 pm »

Iley Nuaugamkea, Mutt, Guilhayl Aber and Aela Entaria:
After a good night's sleep, or at least as good a sleep as you can get in this tavern, you arrive at the tourney, and sign up for a party of four. Told to return in an hour and a half, and given the names of your opponents, you decide to spend the time getting ready by trying to find out who they are. All you are able to learn is that they are all human, and that they prefer melee combat. ((Tawarochir, you can prepare your spells based on this.))
Then comes the time to do battle. You're in a large arena, sectioned into four smaller arenas, which are occupied by other groups preparing to face off. Your opponents are filling into your arena, and taking their places. A referee is reminding you of the rules.
Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
On the other side, behind three rows of stone pillars, four humans, as you suspected, stand on large X's, painted on the floor. Three are wearing heavy armor, and two are carrying swords (1 and 2), while the other has a spear (4). The fourth has a crossbow held lightly in her hands, and is unarmored (3).

You will need to choose your positions. You may begin on any of the four X's.

Legend:
- is empty space.
| is a five foot stone pillar.
X is a place you can occupy.

Code: [Select]
--------------------
--------------------
--1----2----3----4--
--|----|----|----|--
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
--|----|----|----|--
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
--|----|----|----|--
--X----X----X----X--
--------------------
--------------------

X'ithzol:
In the morning, you signup for the solo combat, and receive your opponent's name. Sadly, Ralph is a very common name.
As is his combat style, as it turns out. On the other side of your small arena, behind three rows of pillars, a young man in scale armor carries a sword and shield.
After reminding you of the rules, the referee blows a whistle, and the crowd goes wild.
Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Initiative:
X'ithzol: 16
Ralph: 2

Legend:
- is empty space.
| is a five foot stone pillar.
X is X'ithzol.
R is Ralph

-----
-----
--R--
--|--
-----
-----
-----
--|--
-----
-----
-----
--|--
--X--
-----
-----

It is your move.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 07:27:07 pm »

Take the centre right.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 07:34:57 pm »

I'll take center left then.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »

((I'll start across from 4.))
You walk out into the arena and look around. All those cheering and jeering faces unsettle you; for once, you're on the other side of the stands. Look for the royalty, is it anyone you recognize? Even if you've never met them, you might recognize them from balls or foreign visits.
As for the task at hand, you've never really been in a fight with anyone besides your sparring master, have you? From what you've learned in combat manuals, it would make sense that your new friends would take on the melee fighters, being melee focused themselves. That leaves you with the crossbow girl.
A small tawny cat leaps onto your shoulder, calmly scanning the area. Aidan has been with you since you arrived at Charon's estate, and his presence settles your nerves. Finally, you take a deep breath, count to three, thenrun out into range and hit her with a Ray of Frost.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 07:39:37 pm »

((Dammit!))
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 09:00:18 pm »

Mutt, Iley Nuaugamkea, Aela Entaria and Guilhayl Aber:

Aela glances at the stands. Spot: 1+0. The sun is bright today, hanging over the stands, blocking her from seeing the faces of those in the noble boxes.

The referee blows the whistle, and crowd goes wild.

Initiative:
Aela: 19
Sword A/1: 19
Guilhayl: 16
Mutt: 11
Ilev: 9
Spear/4: 6
Crossbow/3: 5
Sword B/2: 2

Aela dashes forward, taking cover behind a middle pillar, and a line of ice speeds towards the woman with crossbow, hitting her in the eye. (Crit and confirmed for 1 and 2 damage!)
In response, Sword A/1 dashes towards Aela.

--------------------
--------------------
-------2----3----4--
--|----|----|----|--
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------
--|----|----|---1|--
-----------------A--
--------------------
--------------------
--|----|----|----|--
--G----I----M-------
--------------------
--------------------

Actions are needed from all.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 09:19:54 pm »

"Aela!"
Get as close as possible to Sword A/1 and, if applicable, cast Daze at him.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 09:24:43 pm »

...Hmmm. On the one hand, X'ithzol has a crossbow, and can likely outpace the human given his heavier armour. On the other hand, staying away while X'ithzol showers him with bolts may well lead to his death unintentionally, and being disqualified would defeat the purpose of being here. Also, the arena does not offer a great deal of room to maneuver. The pillar is too short to allow staying out of range of the sword on top of it, and there's no real room to hide. Not great.
Ok. Send a sling shot at this... Ralph.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 09:55:11 pm »

"Guilhayl! Be careful! Me and Mutt will be hard pressed to protect both you and Aela if you get yourself into combat!"

I will run to the square to the west (or left?) of Aela and south (down from?) Sword A/1

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2014, 01:04:57 am »

Guilhayl Aber, Mutt, Iley Nuaugamkea and Aela Entaria:

Guilhayl charges the swordsman, looking to get some use out of his spear, as he can't cast his spell from walking distance. (Attack: 7-1+2) Sadly, it misses.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)

It is now Mutt's turn.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

X'ithzol:
His bullet bounces harmlessly off Ralph's armor, who moves up behind the next pillar.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 01:57:04 am »

That swordsman is getting close. Too close for comfort. Cast Mage Armor on yourself, and brace yourself for an attack.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 01:58:45 am »

Hmmm. Well, here's hoping this doesn't kill the guy.
X'ithzol drops his sling (free action), draws his Longspear (move), and Readies the Longspear against a Charge (standard) with a follow-up 5 foot step away from Ralph (free).
On second thoughts, that will almost certainly kill him in one hit, if it hits.
X'ithzol fires a sling shot (standard), drops his sling (free), and draws his Longspear (move). If Ralph charges, he'll have to go through the Lonspear Threatened Zone, so attack of opportunity, and I think the pillars will block any charge he can make anyway.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:02:18 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19