Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [LCS] Is it possible to win the game before November 2012?  (Read 2701 times)

Kodiologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Personal website
[LCS] Is it possible to win the game before November 2012?
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:58:17 pm »

Regardless of initial game settings, the president (and the cabinet) must be elite liberal to win, and the game starts in 2009 with an arch-conservative president. I believe the only way to change who's president, other than by election, is to kill the president, causing the vice-president to be promoted (Creature::die). But the starting vice-president will also be arch-conservative, and arch-conservative presidents only appoint arch-conservative cabinet members (fillCabinetPost), so even killing the new president won't help. So, as of the current development version, it seems the game can be won no sooner than immediately after the general election in November 2012.

Kodiologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: [LCS] Is it possible to win the game before November 2012?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 02:35:41 pm »

Perhaps there should be an Elite Liberal Amendment, similar to the one for Congress, to force an immediate presidential election. Then the only thing you absolutely have to wait for is for the laws to move up to elite liberal (via Congress, the Supreme Court, and November ballot propositions).

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 07:50:05 am »

Perhaps there should be an Elite Liberal Impeachment, similar to the one for Congress, to force an immediate presidential election.
FTFY. (amendments don't cause specific stuff to happen, they govern how stuff happens.)

edit: on second thought, impeachment would just remove the president (to be replaced by the VP). So an amendment is still needed. My bad.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:04:12 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:05:24 pm »

Regardless of initial game settings, the president (and the cabinet) must be elite liberal to win, and the game starts in 2009 with an arch-conservative president. I believe the only way to change who's president, other than by election, is to kill the president, causing the vice-president to be promoted (Creature::die). But the starting vice-president will also be arch-conservative, and arch-conservative presidents only appoint arch-conservative cabinet members (fillCabinetPost), so even killing the new president won't help. So, as of the current development version, it seems the game can be won no sooner than immediately after the general election in November 2012.
Actually, third in line is the Speaker of the House, followed by the head senator, then the cabinet members. So, you would just need to kill off the president twice, with an extremely elite liberal congress, to get an elite liberal president.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »

Unfortunately, that doesn't work in Liberal Crime Squad. However, killing enough presidents might work, although not to win the game before November 2012 (see below):

In LCS, the new president chooses a new VP instantly upon promotion, before the dead former president's body has even hit the floor (literally - it's part of the function that marks the old president as dead). This means that if you assassinate the C+ president you start the game with, his successor, also C+, will choose a new C+ VP.

So no, there is an unending string of C+ VPs to replace an existing C+ president.

However, there is an interesting thing that can happen if the president is not C+:

If the president is not C+ (or other extreme alignment), then the VP will be within one alignment step, randomly, from the current president. This means that a C president elected from a conservative party - his VP may be m, C, or C+. If it's m, then his VP may be L, m, or C, and if L, then his VP may be L+, L, or m. Of course, this requires you to wait until November 2012 to displace the C+ president, because extreme alignments never choose anything other than an extreme alignment. This also means that if the alignment starts out as something other than L+ or C+, once it reaches L+ or C+ it will stay there, until the next election at least.

Kodiologist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:20:12 pm »

SlatersQuest is correct. promoteVP is where the action happens. Furthermore, it is not possible to kill the VP or the rest of the Cabinet before or at the same time as the President because only the current President is a real game character.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:56:08 pm »

I thought you only needed all laws to be elite liberal to win, but I wouldn't know since by then all my games have had an elite liberal president.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 10:02:24 pm »

You can find out if you play on Marathon mode. Then the limiting factor in determining how long it takes to win is the time to liberalize the supreme court.