Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Xenonauts: Get the community edtion! v.24 out! Download Andron it now!  (Read 22927 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

XENONAUTS
STRATEGIC PLANETARY DEFENCE SIMULATOR

Xenonauts is, well... it's a modern day X-Com. Possible the truest successor to the classic UFO: Enemy Defense, it's a brutal game that requires effective play at both the tactical and strategic levels if you want to have a chance for victory. The corpses will quickly begin to pile up, but if you stay ahead of the technology curve and invest wisely in the skills of your troops and their equipment and facilities, you should be able to maintain air and land dominance and hopefully, eventually, fight off the aliens.

Personally, I have not been successful.

The core of Xenonauts is the tactical ground combat, with missions that are often tense, dangerous, and incredibly satisfying.

(source: http://www.coffeebreakgaming.co.uk/pc-game-reviews/review-xenonauts/)

Whether responding to terror sites, seizing downed UFOs, or invading and attempting to either destroy or capture alien bases (depending on how willing you are to put the lives of your troops on the line for material reward), tactical combat is the core of Xenonauts gameplay, and you'll probably be spending most of your time here.

A good tip for doing well hell: Suppression is amazing, as it eliminates the enemy ability to reaction fire and limits what they can do on their next turn. Flash grenades are useful tools for storming enemy choke points, and heavy machine goods are great for keeping enemies in more open areas under control. Of course, suppression doesn't work against enemy mechanical units, and make sure not to suppress your own troops in the process!

Of course, ground combat isn't the only thing you need to excel at if you wish to succeed in Xenonauts. The best troops in the world won't save you if the enemy is given dominion over the skies - the aliens even have the opportunity to launch aerial terror missions, extended bombing campaigns that only your superior custom technology can stop. Thankfully, the alien ships are interstellar craft that are ill-suited to operating in atmosphere even after extensive modification. That still leaves them capable of overpowering most conventional anti-air defenses, but, so long as you adopt a breakneck pace of development and construction, air superiority is a something you will need to achieve if you want to keep your funding nations happy.

While you might autoresolve easy battles, the tougher ones mean you'll be better served taking more direct control of your aircraft, timing your missiles and evasive maneuvers while trying to keep your units out of the enemy firing cones and keeping them in yours.

Finally, there is the strategic layer. Research, production, and management of bases and base facilities are all crucial to the long term success of the Xenonauts project. Everything costs money, and no matter how much you get you'll always want more. More bases and more radar stations means better coverage and more hangar slots for interceptors, but it means you'll be paying cash every month to keep those facilities operational. A larger research team is practically required to keep pace with the enemy advance, but they don't work for free, and the engineering team's wages are probably the smallest cost in construction, and you'll likely be constantly be having to decide between increasing the survivability of your ground troops and maintaining something approaching a possibility of air superiority with whatever money is leftover.

Get the game here:
http://www.xenonauts.com/pre-order/

I previously mentioned that you should download Fire In the Hole and the Lore mods, but I know advocate installing the Community Edition, which has lots of bug fixes and major usability tweaks and improvements.
http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11312-Xenonauts-Community-Edition-0-24-changelog-and-downloads

Once the mods are compatible with it again, I will put them back on the suggest list.

The game actually has a fairly robust and officially supported modding community, and it's well worth checking out the mods available to expand on and improve your experience.
http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/27-Completed-Game-Mods

If you want to see what the game is like, alway recommends...
the following youtube videos, by Scott Manley.
https://www.youtube.com/user/szyzyg/videos
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:10:14 pm by GlyphGryph »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts: Don't Fear the Reaper
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 02:32:09 pm »

We have one that's poorly maintained. The title and information in the OP is wildly out of date. It leads people to believe the game is not released, which it is.

Also, I'm going to make a new thread for this game. This one annoys me *so much* since it's still talking about frickin' Kickstarter in the title.

Is the last post in that thread at the current time. It deserves better, and this will be my attempt to give it better. :)

Anyway, to repeat my question from the last thread:
How many bases do people like to build, and when do you build them? I used to run three bases ASAP to keep up air superiority (or try to) but I've been finding lately that only managing two for a while, and building a third later in the game, actually let's me do that better since I have so much money leftover for additional aircraft.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:52:56 pm by GlyphGryph »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 02:58:59 pm »

3 is fine to gain air superiority.
second one built as soon as possible. third one can wait until you have money to spare however. At the beginning, the upkeep of a third base is going to murder your income and make things much harder.

And of course, build 3 radars on all bases. that gives a nice range increase.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:29:55 pm »

Oh yes, that is a much better OP. Well done to Glyph. :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:04:23 pm »

Added a section on a modpack I think everyone should download (Lore+ and Fire In The Hole combo pack), as well as a link to the modding forum in general.

This game has lots of great mods, and those mods deserve way more love.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:09:11 pm »

I tried this a while back, I ran a squad a 50/50 split of machine gunners and assistant riflemen who carried machinegun ammo.  Turns out that's mostly unnecessary as machinegun ammo comes in huge clips, but it still murdered everything because dakka.

Then I stopped playing because apparently where humans have brains, the aliens have scrambled eggs.  Hopefully that's been improved :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:13:24 pm »

Assuming you played before release, then yes, aliens are a lot smarter now. At least on Veteran and above, I can't speak to the lower difficulties.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:37:41 pm »

Normal is reasonable. Easy is similar to beta ai.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:13:50 pm »

Assuming you played before release, then yes, aliens are a lot smarter now. At least on Veteran and above, I can't speak to the lower difficulties.

Oh wow, that was glorious!  Last time I played I cleared several missions top difficulty with... I may have had one casualty or one wounded, I can't remember.  This time I try the same thing and lose all but one of my squad on the first mission, with one alien killed.  Granted I did a few things really sloppily but still, what a difference.  I faced the scaly green guys, and they actually advanced and overran my position instead of staying superglued to cover.  I got a few hits in but they didn't actually hurt the aliens that I could tell.

Second mission was against Caesians and I took them out with 2 squad deaths, not bad for rookies.  This despite the squad leader blowing up his own rifle in an attempt to breach a chain link fence with C4.

The game, well, feels like a complete game now.  Also machine gun changes actually justify bringing assistants with ammo now, so that's nice.  All in all a good time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 01:23:55 am »

Definitely tempted to buy this game. I loved X-com when it first came out, and this looks like a much more in-depth version. If only I hadn't spent so much money on the steam summer sale. :(
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 02:03:06 am »

I heartily recommend this game. I haven't played it post-release, only early access without mods, but it was great already then. I actually planned to give away a few copies in August or so, once I'm done moving around.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 04:01:34 am »

Please please do yourself a favour and get this game!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 07:43:07 am »

I love this game. Try hitting an alien with a rocket :D

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:40 am »

I love this game. Try hitting an alien with a rocket :D
Or filling a ufo with a stun rocket, but not hitting the important tech. Stun gas everywhere! (but the stun stick is still the most reliable)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:08 am »

stun rockets are great to clear UFOs in the early-mid game. However, later stun gas becomes much less useful, for several reasons :(
explosives always work however.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8