Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Xenonauts: Get the community edtion! v.24 out! Download Andron it now!  (Read 23073 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love this game!  I have decided to only play on veteran mode, and have gotten my ass kicked pretty hard the first few times.  My current playthough is going pretty well, but I may restart with some mods (Although honestly I want to beat the game finally... I haven't been able to get very far).

Edit:  While I am here... what's the best way to go about starting?  I am building a second base right away, and getting a second lab + two more radar dishes in my main base.  Main base goes in the middle east area, second base goes on the good ol US of A.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:49:25 am by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts: Yes, this is released. Play it or Sebs will eat you.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 08:53:08 am »

Thats what I have been doing. Two more radar bases right off the bat is a LOT of money though - and one gives you good enough coverage to start, I think. That money is probably better spent elsewhere - god knows there will be little enough of it soon enough.

And the starting ships just aren't long ranged enough to make use of that radar distance.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:10:11 am by GlyphGryph »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 08:57:57 am »

That's true, I have noticed that.  It's all a bit of a juggling act, honestly.  I find myself airstriking downed alien ships fairly often when I can't/wont/don't feel like dealing with them.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 09:55:51 am »

I always start with the first base somewhere in Egypt. Second one goes on Cuba, and third on Philippines area. Later on IF (big if) I have cash to spare i put single radar on alaska, but the game is alredy won at that point.
In xenonauts not having a 3rd base somewhere at the beginning of 3rd month is not only suboptimal start, it equals loss on higher difficulties. This game doesn't allow you to loose funding. Manufacturing is money sink, not a milking cow like in earlier games, and missions do not provide much cash (airstrikes gives much less and do not allow you to train soldiers).

I'm just spoilering my post from the old thread:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 10:14:39 am »

What difficulty do you play on? Honestly, I'm not sure how true that feels to my own experience.

Androns, in my mind, are way worse than Reapers. Reapers, at least, you can kill. Androns can eat several direct hits from plasma weapons and keep on trucking, and have pretty great accuracy to fire back. And they can do it from range, meaning that you have to close and open yourself up to additional attacks if you want to actually be likely to kill them with focused fire. Additionally, Androns get explosive guns, which reliably kill adv.shielded/wolf armored targets in a single shot. Hell, I still have no clue what to do about that shit! I honestly don't know!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 11:10:01 am »

Reapers are the easiest to kill, assuming you have a good rocket in position: Just blow them to pieces, theres no tech to be lost from blowing it up on them. (also, of course reapers are dangerous if half your squad uses pistols, lastverb. Pistols are backup weapons, and maybe count as normal weapons once you have laser pistols.)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 11:18:30 am »

reapers are most dangerous when your squad decides to reaction fire on that incoming zombie... resulting in a reaper emerging and turning your soldier into another zombie.

Although I think that now the new reaper only has half its maximum TU during the turn it spawns in. Which makes a very big difference.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 11:31:26 am »

FYI for you all, a few flashbangsl, like 3 to 5, will stun enemies. Which means you can capture the greys and lizards early, which REALLY helps, with the ten% damage boost. It'll even stun reapers and the flying bunnies.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 12:19:52 pm »

Just beat it yesterday.  IMO it's definitely the best X-COM remake out there. 

2nd = firaxis remake
3rd = UFO: Afterlight

I can't wait to see what the modding community comes up with.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 12:22:53 pm »

They've already come up with quite a few things! Check out the links to the "completed mods" forums in the OP, the mod I recommended everyone download, and maybe follow them to get to the in-progress ones and check those out too. :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts: Ceasaned to Perfection
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 02:45:34 pm »

I really should try the game out again. It's been months.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 03:17:46 pm »

How are you all getting stunbombs and grenades? It never came up in my research, but I was doing rather badly in my run.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 03:47:31 pm »

Stun grenades need the stun weapons researched, most weapon researches give off many things...

Also, is someone going to do a LP of this here?

And I might, provided I get myself a paypal, and hopefully a place to buy it thats not steam.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:11 pm »

I want to play this...but this seems like 1 of 500000 X-Com based games...what the hell one should I start with lol

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 06:42:51 pm »

Stun grenades need the stun weapons researched, most weapon researches give off many things...

Also, is someone going to do a LP of this here?

And I might, provided I get myself a paypal, and hopefully a place to buy it thats not steam.

It's available on GOG.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8